Forum Index > Trail Talk > I think my Subaru done died
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 2:47 am 
I got a rather unexpected Christmas gift this year. On my way out to the FS cabin by Sequim that my family's taken to renting for the December holiday, my '87 Subaru GL 4WD SW decided it was time to blow a seal, so to speak. Actually it was the head gasket, which it was expected to go at around 175K but was nice enough to wait until 175,500. My car is lying in state at a decent shop in Sequim, and I expect to get a full diagnosis and estimate after the mechanics get back from a short Xmas break. I am at the point where it is unlikely I'll still have this car after I get the bad news, as this is yet another expensive thing to have done to a car that is late in its life. So.....about a year before I planned to have to buy a new car, I am probably going to do so, and I need a little advice. The Sub has been a good car, except for the maintenance, which is a little high, and the ground clearance, which is a little low. I like the amount of space in it. I do some driving in the city, so the gas mileage thing is a consideration, but might go the SUV route despite misgivings about gas mileage, and driving a 21st Century minivan. Not a big fan of trucks. Budget is TBD, but 5-7K seems like about what my bank account will tolerate without too much pain. Ideas?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 9:02 am 
Get another Subi! I got my first Subi this year, a 2003 Forrester, with a little enabling from Marmot and Otter. I love it! It's the perfect fusion of everything I need in a car...a safe family vehicle that can carry some things, a small city commuter for my wife, and something that can get me to the trailhead.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 11:06 am 
I want more ground clearance than I had with the GL....anyone know which models have more? I think it would be tough to find a 2003 Forester for 5/7k!! eek.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 11:09 am 
Hmm, oops, you're right there! The darned banks owns ours for the next couple of years.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 11:15 am 
Go to Greggs Japanese auto and fix that head gasket! You'll spend 1000.00, but that's cheaper than a new car! DONT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER! I had an '87. The head gasket went and I left there at 1200.00 with some extra stuff. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 11:19 am 
I dont think you'l find a CAR with more clearence than that G/L. Well, sure an Audi allroad does, but it's 50 grand! I'f you are going an other way than that Suby, I'd look for a earlier toyota four runner! 1985-1990. You can find those for 4+ grand and they're Toyotas, they last a long time. You'll get MORE carrying capacity, better off road performace in every catagory, and a stronger better engine design. The only minus would be a little less MPG.... TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 11:56 am 
Perhaps my original post didn't come through clearly. The car died on the Peninsula, and was towed to a shop in Sequim. I did as much research on said shop as possible before telling the tow truck driver where to take it. The car has a blown head gasket. It would be impossible to drive it to Seattle to have the work done locally. I know how much a head gasket replacement costs. Generally my model of car blows its head gasket at around 175K, and mine did. Typically the car gets a new rebuilt motor from overseas rather than a new head gasket. I have had a lot of work done to this old car, and am not sure if I want to get more major work done to it knowing that it's going to break again pretty soon, and probably while I am on a road trip. That's when it likes to break. It has never broken in the city limits. I am not a big fan of trucks, so am not interested in getting a 4 runner. They are very trucklike.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 12:02 pm 
I think you'll have a hard time finding what you want WITHOUT going to a SUV type vehicle. And yes, the Forester is an SUV. Good luck!

Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 12:53 pm 
I've been thinking along similar lines, but with an eye toward a reliable second vehicle for drives to the trailhead, dump or home and garden store. I mihgt wait until I can afford a used Toyota Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 (probably a looooong time wink.gif ) . . . If I were you, I would buy the newest/lowest miles used 4Runner I could afford. They can be had in your price range and run for a long time. It doesn't sound like you have time to hold out for a great deal. Isuzus are pretty reliable, too and depreciate faster than Toyotas. A used Trooper or the like might fill the bill, too. Good luck smile.gif

Smokey

Smokey
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 1:06 pm 
I'll tell you only what I know about, Jeeps. The older boxy Cherokee model (not the Grand) was around a long time. The chassis is nothing special but the 4.0 litre fuel injected engine they stuck in 'em tends to last forever. I've verified this by casual chat with many owners of well worn vehicles, Jeep mechanics who own them and have nothing to gain by lying to me, and my own experience with the same engine in my '91 Wrangler. Even NPR's Click n Clack have raved about that engine. I believe the fuel injected version came on line right around '91. Don't get the 2.5 litre engine!!! Your gas mileage won't be great (18/20 highway?) but it has some room and isn't truck like. They came in 2WD, 4WD, 2 and 4 door versions and various states of dress. edmunds.com is a good place to check a fair price and the town hall discussion there might have a board where you could ask questions of Cherokee owners. There are also lots of other sites to gather info. Jeep owners tend to be fanatical and a few of them can even spell. Cherokees are no longer made but the 4.0 engine is still being used in the current day Wranglers. As always, buyer beware. Gary

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 1:18 pm 
You'll find the Subis fit comfortably into a new niche called the "mini SUV". Honda CRV's, Toyota Rav 4's, GM Trackers, etc also belong to this group.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 1:55 pm 
I think most of the "mini-SUVs" are too new to fall within Allison's price range. I almost suggested a 4.0 liter Cherokee, too, but I don't know enough about those. A domestic would probably be cheaper to maintain or repair, especially if it breaks somewhere like Sequim wink.gif

JimK

JimK
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 2:14 pm 
Allison, I don't know if this helps but I can tell you what I did. I had been interested in a Subaru Outback for quite awhile. The problem is that on the West Coast used ones are priced as if they are gold plated. As EBay Motors began to grow I used it to look at prices around the country. East of the Mississippi they are treated like any other used car. I spent a few months lowball bidding cars with no reserve price and ended up with this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31869&item=1872816051&rd=1 For $6295 + about $500 in travel expenses I have a 1997 Outback with about 100,000 miles. It came with a warranty included. Chaplin's had the same year and mileage on their lot for $11,000. I drove it 3000 miles home in 5 days over the long Thanksgiving weekend and after 3,500 miles I love it. I averaged 25-27 mpg on the highway (depending on whether I kept it under 80 mph). If a person is willing to undertake a bit of an adventure, this is an interesting option. Lots of room inside, decent mileage, and acceptable ground clearance (for me at least). Foresters were likewise about 30% lower than in Seattle.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 4:23 pm 
I shouldn't even be saying this, I could do the job, but I am just now putting in a 2.8 L engine into a 1985 S-10 Blazer (not mine but my sons) and then I'll be pulling out the 327 from the 1965 SS Impala. Have done many engines, clutches, head gaskets, etc. but at 50 I am no longer wanting to do anymore engine/tranny work than I already have for the past 35+ years. My advise: find a local mechanic (preferable a friend or someone who knows a guy who does side jobs and knows what he's doing) and pay him to the job in his own garage...much cheaper than a regular shop. But get the dianosis there first. Sorry to hear about your car, I hate them all really... I would rather have a horse! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 4:53 pm 
buy a cheap reliable beater. get the sub fixed unload the sub find what you want unload the beater or keep it for trailhead thieves if you've taken good care of your care it WILL be worth fixing. new isn't always better. 'course this is a disposable society so you might consider just dumping it and buy what you can afford. 0.02 NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.