Forum Index > Trail Talk > Boulder / Pear Lake Approaches
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Orkila

Orkila
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 5:26 pm 
Looking for any info on existance of trail to lakes from Tenas Crk RD instead of up and over Huckleberry out of Buck Creek. Trail is shown in my Wa map book (no validity) and I have seen a reference to it in print or on the web but can't verify if it did/does still exist. Thanks for the help.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 10:51 pm 
Well Ive been to Boulder and Pear lakes. The only trial route I know of is the Boulder drainage. There is a way trail around pear to Toketie and Kawakawak. From there it overland to Crater. TB drink.gif dizzy.gif huh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Dec 28, 2002 4:46 am 
it's just like it looks. Head up Tenas creek road until it crosses the creek out of boulder, park and head up obvious trail. It's a freeway.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 10:48 pm 
Here is an interesting article that references Boulder and Pear(l) Lakes.

Karen

Karen
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 11:12 pm 
Tenas Creek and beyond
The folks at Darrington Ranger Station told me that the hike to Boulder lake now is easy (they have it written up on their handouts for lakes -- just ask at the counter if you go the Darrington Ranger Station sometime) and starts from the Tenas Creek Road. Apparently a lot of locals go there as it supposed to be an easy hike up to that point. Apparently the trail part to the lake is short. Beyond Boulder it might be more interesting (read the referenced article in this topic). Also, I have some very old maps that shows a trail making a long loop starting from Tenas Creek (at a lower elevation), going on to Boulder and then somehow connecting with Huckleberry/Buck Creek. I've gone to Tenas Creek a couple of times and looked around for a piece of the old trail but didn't find anything. Parts of that region have been logged and I would imagine that part of the old trail is long gone. If you like adventure, though, I'd put up with the crowds going to Boulder and then continue on. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 12:03 am 
Speaking of dumb questions, what;s the way people like the best to get to Twin Lakes? I've got to get there this coming summer, and if I don't do the wacky XC route from Blanca I want to go the best/most logical/most fun other way in. I still think the XC route may not be as much fun as some people would suggest it might be. Alli

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 2:01 am 
That was a nice article. Ive been to Boulder a few times. Ive been to pear and Toketie and kawakawak too. This summer I'm heading over to Crater with my Walter(and Brian) Curtis raft and Im going to see about setting up on the island! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Karen

Karen
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 10:50 am 
The "easy" way to Twin Lakes
Allison, There's an easier way to go but it's LONG (from Barlow Pass about 17 miles round-trip as I recall). But worth it. Hike or bike to Monte Cristo, take the Poodle Dog Pass trail to the Twin Lakes junction near Silver Lake and follow the trail along the ridge. It comes to a point where you can look down to Twin Lakes. Then, a steep descent to the lakes. Since I wasn't camping I turned around at the view rather than going all the way down to the lakes. The ridge walk from the Silver Lake/Twin Lakes junction is one of the most scenic ridge runs I know. You'll be on trail the whole way but trail is best hiked when the snow is gone -- late July or August. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 12:03 pm 
Karen wrote:
The ridge walk from the Silver Lake/Twin Lakes junction is one of the most scenic ridge runs I know.
My fondest memory of running that ridge was in a thunderstorm with fishing pole in hand to serve as lightning rod. cool.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 07, 2003 5:21 pm 
Thomas, oh brother. You R a wise guy! Bummer for you. Miss. Karen was right, that ridge run is so bloody beautiful. I need to go back. A drop off and a trip over the ridge to Blanca and out would be the way to go. TB biggrin.gif