Forum Index > Trail Talk > snowshoe destinations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Dec 28, 2002 3:07 pm 
Anyone have snowshoe spots to recommend? I'm especially interested in areas from the east side of Steven's to Leavenworth.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSat Dec 28, 2002 4:12 pm 
Polarbear, I sometimes winter camp and snowshoe on the Trinity Road, leading north out of Plain to the old mining area of Trinity. This is a (roughly) twenty mile road all the way up to Phelps Creek campground/Trinity, but there are few hills. Depending on snow conditions you may need a high ground clearance and/or four wheel drive rig to get in a ways. There's plenty of snowshoeing areas all the way up the road. The bad news: it's a snowmobile track, so if you don't want to hear engines stay off the main road. The good news: there are lot's of campgrounds, tracks, and other areas off the main road you can explore. A good place to snowshoe is Goose Creek campground, just a couple of miles in (I think). Lot's of wide open places to hike and a track paralleling the Chiwawa River that afford many beautiful views. For something like eighty years there was a large two story log house ten miles in at Chikamin Creek, which was called the "halfway house". In the winter travelers could snowshoe in the ten miles and spend the night before heading to Trinity the next morning, or turn around and head back to Plain. The cabin was removed in the 1980's, much to my dismay. Quite a bit of wildlife, too, especially with camprobbers, stellar jays and forest grouse. I saw a wolf there a few years ago, and my wife and I saw a young bull moose at Phelps Creek back in 95'. If you need more specific directions shoot me an email. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Dec 28, 2002 4:39 pm 
Thanks for the info Salish. Interestingly, I bumped into an in-law of the owner of Trinity this summer. Actually I think now they've sold it off to the FS but they used to own it.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Dec 29, 2002 12:21 am 
There is a few, Trout Lake, Barclay Lake, which i think might be ok for snowshoeing... Ice Girl

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Dec 29, 2002 11:38 am 
Snowshoe Vacation
If you ever decide to take a snowshoe vacation, I would recommend for your consideration spending a few days at Scottish High Lakes Camp. Pack Pup and I spent three nights/four days there January 2002, and had a fantastic time! Although primarily known for its backcountry skiing, it is also a great place to snowshoe with plenty of trails leading into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. The Cabins are rustic but very comfortable; and we have never met more interesting people or heard better stories than the evenings spent in front of the big fireplace at the lodge. The hospitality is warm enough to melt the snow! Anyway, just a though for your consideration. WWW.Scottishlakes.com