Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Si via Teneriffe Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostSun Dec 29, 2002 11:35 pm 
If you like Mt. Si but get tired of the crowds and the icy upper section this one may be for you. I enjoy the alternate approach via the Teneriffe Road in the Winter. 10 miles and 3200' gain. I have included photos as well. A nice day and I went to Haystack Basin and only saw a few people. Click on my link below and then "Trips 2002" on the left margin.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 7:19 pm 
SI
There is a group of us that meet at Mount Si almost every Saturday. I myself am encouraging them to go other places, but they are unwilling. Maybe with this alternative way I can encourage them to try something new. My question is, how to we get there? And is the trail well marked? Will even the novice people be able to find there way? If you take this trail how much of it is on snowshoes?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Nov 23, 2003 6:50 pm 
Tenerife to Si 11/23/03
OK, I got this crazy idea to do Tenerife to Si in the snow, ya know you guys don't help with these great descriptions <grin> I'm sure the snow was much melted from yesterday, but... slogged thru slush until snow accumulation became significant @ 2800'. At 3000' stopped at a switchback and put on crampons (Atlas Trakkers). Had decided to leave snowshoes in the cars, split between 2 vehicles in case of breakin (one at Si, one at Tenerife TH). At 3500' snow became really significant, altho old tracks were leading the way. Read slog, slog, slog..... why didn't we bring the snowshoes! This became the point where going forward was only preferable because going back was longer. Slog, Slog... But it is beautiful, eh? Suddenly, we reach tall trees. About 2 minutes from there we see Haystack!!! Talk about a rush. Walk around the basin and suddenly meet all the folks who have come up Mt. Si. Holey Moley, we're home free. Weird thing: The amount of snow on Si is 10% what it was on Teneriffe. Not just the trail (which of course is totally slushy and muddy from a zillion feet) but that side of the mountain overall. Must be microclimate... Bad Thing: My fingers became almost frostbitten on the way down. Reynaud's symptom ... sorry... what a pain. Thank goodness I packed those hand warmer thingy-bobbs.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Nov 23, 2003 11:40 pm 
10 miles each way? or round trip?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Nov 24, 2003 3:07 am 
One way loop, 9.2 miles. (2 cars).

JimK

JimK
PostSun Nov 30, 2003 10:20 pm 
I spent the last day of November hiking back up Si via the Teneriffe Road. Bellevue to North Bend was covered by fog. The Teneriffe trailhead was in the sun. We had sun all day and drove home in the fog again. Snow began at about 2800' and was deep enough to make snowshoes useful for the last 1000' of gain. Only one set of footprints going to Si. Half a dozen went towards Teneriffe. Several trees were down but none were too difficult to cross. We saw one person going up, two on top of Si, and one more while coming down.
A Sea Of Clouds
A Sea Of Clouds
The Haystack From The Back Side
The Haystack From The Back Side

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 30, 2003 11:00 pm 
Hey, sounds like Angela and Jacqui (of Hiking Babes fame) & friends tried to do this hike! No reports of Japanese tourists but the usual Happy Hiking!! :0) salutation. Grrrrrr. Too bad their adventure turned out soggy. :0( Gotta be better prepared for winter conditions!!!! Happy Hiking!!!!! hihi.gif