Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 11:52 pm 
Quote:
Sorry Tom, it ain't me. Lots of people are posting under multi names.
I guess I've been out foxed then redface.gif. "Fred B." appears courtesey of "Broadwing Communications, Inc." as does "Steve F." and "Sawyer" among some other names I shan't divulge to protect the innocent. It's entirely possible "Fred B." is someone else. It just seemed too coincidental, particularly given the reputation wink.gif.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostWed Feb 13, 2002 6:57 am 
I remember you all having this multi-handle posting debate at the WTA site when I was lurking there. Other than the VERY occasional posting under another name, maybe because of some controversial or sensitive subject, I can't possibly understand why someone would want to do it on a regular basis?????????????

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 7:16 am 
There are thousands of users at each IP address. Maybe even more than one hiker, maybe even several with multiple personality dis-odors. So anybody know when the first Mt Si trail was built? The one that starts from the Little Si trail?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 7:34 am 
To Sawyer: In " High Trails" Louise B. Marshall describes the old PCT routes, as mentioned by you, plus the proposed new rerouting. My edition of her book is the fourth one, published in 1973.

Cybil

Cybil
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 7:53 am 
"There are thousands of users at each IP address. Maybe even more than one hiker, maybe even several with multiple personality dis-odors." ........ gee and I thought I was the only one that knew anything and I was just having conversations with myself in here.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 3:27 pm 
Back on topic, actually off the original topic but responding to a historical topic dizzy.gif... Sawyer, I thought the Snow Lake part of the "Cascade Crest Trail" was technically the horse trail. The official "hiker" trail was via Red Pass if I'm not mistaken?

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 6:15 pm 
Names: As long as unregistered posting is allowed, who cares what names is used. Never had a conversation with myself on the internet -- there's better forms of entertainment. Will continue to use any name that suits. Read the content, then decide whether it's of any value to you. I post from multiple IPs, and I know of several Eskimos posting as well. I wish I knew Mox Peak but it's beyond my fear level, so more power to Fred and his great info. On the PCT: Yup, there were two alternates between Snoqualmie Pass and Goldmyer. The hoarse route was used by those with laryngitis, which went from near the current PCT parking, through the homes to Alpental area, to the Source Lake trail, switching back up talus slopes with views of the Tooth and Chair Peak, through some meadows to a bit under that rock people use to gaze upon Snow Lake from the current trail, to Snow Lake, then down the current Rock Creek and Midfork trails to Goldmyer. The hiker route, too steep and often icy, heads up from the current parking area almost straight to Commonwealth Basin (turn left 100 feet up the current PCT and you'll find it), to Red Pass, down to Goldmyer. All these trails still exist, but one section near Goldmyer still needs Lopper to restore it. Actually it has lots of giant timber, so bring your pole vault gear.

Ernest W.

Ernest W.
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 7:33 pm 
I don't mind at all if people post under different handles as long as the posts have merit - I think most people here would agree. I think some people's frustrations stem from folks posting under "oddball handles" (if you want to call them that) just so they can throw out personal jabs, insults and assorted judgmental comments while maintaining some sort of goodie-goodie reputation on this board through the use of a more regular handle. Pretty lame IMO and I can understand why it bothers some folks here. Where's Bozo?

-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 8:59 pm 
[.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 11:42 pm 
Remaining unregistered is fine by me. Posters' opinions and information is of equal value whether or not they've been tagged and bagged. Remaining anonymous can even be appreciated as a blow for the common mountain rat....tired of being tracked and managed by another bureaucracy. Even a cyber one. On the plus side, it is handy to be able to edit posts.. When I write something really stupid, I can go back and make it go away. But I will not be registering my brush-cutting weaponry.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 11:50 pm 
At least the saw doesn't have multiple handles, unlike your loppers!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Feb 14, 2002 8:59 am 
2drx wrote:
Quote:
just so they can throw out personal jabs, insults and assorted judgmental comments while maintaining some sort of goodie-goodie reputation on this board through the use of a more regular handle
Isn't this the only reason for using multiple handles? What is your reason for not registering? moon.gif
The main reason for using multiple handles, at least on this board, is that it's fun. We've got two people who do it a lot and they do it because they like to play with words. There's an art to picking a name appropriate to a particular topic or point of view. Both of our principle practitioners do it very well - and neither has managed to remain anonymous so the idea that they're hiding really doesn't wash. On the other hand, the fact that they're not really hiding suggests that the one who isn't registered might just as well take advantage of the benefits of registration. wink.gif IMO

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!

PostThu Feb 14, 2002 9:23 am 
Scrooge, I couldn't disagree more with your take on multiple handles. You assume they don't remain anonymous because YOU know who is doing it. I don't. Does EVERYONE? I don't Know any of you personally. What I know of folks like MtGoat, Dante, Catwoman and the like, is what I've learned about them from their posts. Most of the regular posters are usually consistent in their views and positions and over time you get a feel for what the person is about. I posted as Cybil, for the same reason others post under multiple handles all the time: To mess with someone! Hey if that's FUN, then lets all have a party and adopt about 5 names each! As far as registering goes: It doesn't matter.

Fred B

Fred B
PostThu Feb 14, 2002 11:12 am 
OK, let's sum up. Reasons to register: 1) td: It alleviates moderator concerns. 2) td: You can edit your own posts. 3) td: You can add a custom avatar and personal photo. 4) nn: Can edit and delete. 5) al: I want to know who is saying what. 6) mp: It's easy and unregistereds may not be sincere. 7) You can email members off line. 8) People can wish you Happy Birthday. Possible reasons not to register: 1) mg: Content is what counts. 2) py: Nobody knows who I am anyway. 3) td: You give up your email address, at least to administrators. 4) uf: Oral history stands on its own and doesn't need a name attached. 5) saw: This is a website, not real life. 6) You get to see who is living his/her life here, instead out there: In the last 15 minutes it's: (Well, you know who you are.) Hey, the sun is shining, it's time for me to be out there. Have a great day.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Feb 14, 2002 6:37 pm 
Tom. I've got a feeling it's time to move this thread to Cat's Bar and Grill. It's a discussion we've had before and will again, but I don't think it really fits the intent of the History section - even though parts of it have some relevance to how the History section is managed. It probably could have been started as a serious discussion in Support, but we've now wandered into that area of personalities and motivation which we seem unable to avoid - but which do fit perfectly in the section designed for topics that don't "fit" anywhere else. eek.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!