Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Today 1792
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun May 07, 2006 10:56 am 
Robert Gray discovered Grays Harbor and the Columbia and in so doing insured that the United States and not Great Britain would own the country north of the Columbia River. If you discover a river you can claim it and it's tributaries. He nailed it! http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5050 If not for Robert Gray the NW woud have become part of British Columbia, eh ..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu May 18, 2006 7:01 pm 
Not to denigrate Grays's discovery, but simple fact was that the country to first populate the area was going to end up in possession of it which, of course, we did. We did have the advantage over England of proximity, and the English were pretty well spread thin throughout the world and saw the PNW of relatively minor importance compared to its other possessions.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostThu May 18, 2006 7:20 pm 
I think the Brits did have a fairly substantial (for that time) toe hold in the Pacific Northwest with the British Hudson's Bay Company at Fort Vancouver and John McLoughlin as Chief Factor of the Columbia District of the Hudson's Bay Company.

Let me stand next to your fire
touron

touron
PostThu May 18, 2006 8:06 pm 
It is interesting that the Spanish were poking around the Puget Sound area a couple years earlier aided by a British fur trading ship they had confiscated.
Quote:
Quimper claimed the present-day Victoria area for Spain in July of 1790. He proceeded south again to the Olympic Peninsula where he anchored in Freshwater Bay near the Elwha River on July 21, 1790. In his journal he described being met by Indians in two canoes who directed the Spanish to fresh water and gave them salmonberries. He ‘christened’ Mount Baker in Washington State, naming it “La Gran Montagna Carmelita” because it reminded him of the flowing white robes of the Carmelites.
Looks like there is a mountain and fire lookout named after Manuel in BC.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
l

l
PostThu May 18, 2006 8:48 pm 
Touron, Quimper also has a peninsula named for him. It's the thumb of land which Port Townsend sits on - between Discovery Bay and the Admiralty Inlet.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu May 18, 2006 9:26 pm 
The Brits not only had a substantial toehold, but a virtual stranglehold on the PNW into the early 1800's. John McLoughlin, though, might have been have been more responsible than any other man in aiding Americans into the territory, compassionately lending the resources of HBC and Ft. Vancouver to bedraggled settlers as well as simply reading the handwriting on the wall-the Americans were on the way. There seems to be an inevitability to it all in hindsight, but it could never had been seen that way in the time, the U.S. was no way seen as a powerful nation and there were doubts to its survival due to the growing rift over slavery/states' rights/taxation and all.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu May 18, 2006 10:12 pm 
Dslayer wrote:
Not to denigrate Grays's discovery, but simple fact was that the country to first populate the area was going to end up in possession of it which, of course, we did. We did have the advantage over England of proximity, and the English were pretty well spread thin throughout the world and saw the PNW of relatively minor importance compared to its other possessions.
An American trapping enterprise called Fort Astoria was here first. During the war of 1812/1814 between Britain and the US the Brit's sent a formidable navel force to Astoria to kick some ass. They wanted the lucrative fur trade here. Alas, when they sailed there the American guys had split the fort. The British commander was disappointed. And that fort at Astoria became the first British Fort Vancouver.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
touron

touron
PostThu May 18, 2006 10:58 pm 
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
Touron, Quimper also has a peninsula named for him. It's the thumb of land which Port Townsend sits on - between Discovery Bay and the Admiralty Inlet.
Thanks for the info, Shack. I tried to google up a biography in Quimper, but doesn't seem to be alot out there, at least written in the language I read.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
l

l
PostFri May 19, 2006 8:52 am 
Here's a link to explorations of the NW coast that has info on Quimper.

mike

mike
PostFri May 19, 2006 9:22 pm 
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSat May 20, 2006 1:58 am 
Did any of you ever hear about the story of Juan de Fuca? Juan de Fuca was a explorer during a voyage 1592. When he returned from an exploring trip on the northwest coast, he claimed that he had found the northwest passage. According to his story, he had found a gap in the northwestern coastline somewhere at the latitude of Washington and had sailed through it for twenty days until he eventually reached the Atlantic Ocean. Therefore, when somebody discovered Puget sound, they naturally thought that they had discovered Juan de Fuca's straight, and they named it after him. Therefore, the Straight of Juan de Fuca was named after a LIAR!!!

greg

greg
PostSat May 20, 2006 7:51 am 
It's Strait... I've always been intrigued by the several massacres along the Washington Coast of explorers, including a Spanish party that tried to claim Quinault land for the queen: http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5688 and a British party that tried to land at the mouth of the Hoh: http://www.historylink.org/essays/printer_friendly/index.cfm?file_id=5697 There are also sketchy, undocumented reports of I think of a Russian crew that was attacked, with several killed and a few apparently enslaved by the Quileutes.

strider

strider
PostSat May 20, 2006 8:49 am 
How soon we forget .... http://www.nps.gov/sajh/Pig_War_new.htm

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....