Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Only a story to our children's children
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue May 09, 2006 9:32 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue May 09, 2006 8:39 pm 
Going away Gone Gone Gone . agree.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue May 09, 2006 9:06 pm 
TALK
Ya Know - This ain't the Wilderness Society or the Sierra Club, but as long as it's not political. It might be nice to talk about it.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu May 11, 2006 7:52 pm 
The Forest and Fish Law along with the rest of the state regulated forest practices provides for more than adequate habitat for the salmon. Now if only they could survive the guantlet of gil nets, hooks, sea lions, dams, disapearing estuaries, pavement, undersized or misplaced culverts, shadeless urban and suburban waterfront... they might be able to utilize it.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSat May 13, 2006 7:10 pm 
NWFP standards for private land
timbercruiser: I remember reading some article about a year ago in which a lawyer for an environmental group was arguing that the standards for Forest and Fish were inadequte. He argued that Northwest Forest Plan (federal spotted owl forests) riparian buffer zone standards should apply to private land. That would mean 300 foot no-cut riparian buffer zones. Imagine how much volume that would put off-limits! If implemented, private timberland owners would no longer find it profitable to grow trees on their land. They'd probably sell alot of it for backcountry real estate.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu May 18, 2006 8:43 pm 
jerryboyd wrote:
timbercruiser: I remember reading some article about a year ago in which a lawyer for an environmental group was arguing that the standards for Forest and Fish were inadequte. He argued that Northwest Forest Plan (federal spotted owl forests) riparian buffer zone standards should apply to private land. That would mean 300 foot no-cut riparian buffer zones. Imagine how much volume that would put off-limits! If implemented, private timberland owners would no longer find it profitable to grow trees on their land. They'd probably sell alot of it for backcountry real estate.
The 300 foot buffer makes absolutely no sense for salmon habitat. The biggest driver for the Forest and Fish Law is recruitment of large woody debris to fall into the creeks and streams. A tree more than 200' away (measured horizontal distance) is never going to contribute to that or likely to any shading of the waterway.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu May 18, 2006 9:55 pm 
jerryboyd wrote:
He argued that Northwest Forest Plan (federal spotted owl forests) riparian buffer zone standards should apply to private land. That would mean 300 foot no-cut riparian buffer zones. Imagine how much volume that would put off-limits!
You could say good bye to most of the farms in western WA if this were to pass. You could also expect lots of lawsuits brought against cities to restore their 300 ft. riparian stream buffers to comply with the Forest Plan. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? I'd imagine all that pavement and the runoff from it is way more hamful to fish than a market garden and a bunch of raspberry vines is.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon May 22, 2006 1:23 am 
This lawyer was arguing that riparian buffer zone standards for the Northwest Forest Plan (NFP) only be applied to logging operations on private land and not to other land uses since only logging on private land was the issue at hand with the Fish and Forests rule and that habitat conservation plan. His logic was since that since experts said that the stringent riparian standards for logging in the NFP can save anadromous fish than if we want to save fish on private land than we have to do the same thing. It was a long shot for a legal argument but worth a try; Might as well aim high when you got nothing to lose and may come out with more in the end. He was a lawyer for a salmon-steelhead recreational fishing group. I hunted around on the Web for the article on their webpage but could not find it. It doesn't matter since they did not get what they wanted. If I were a salmon, I'd take a tree farm over a parking lot or subdivision anyday.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin