Previous :: Next Topic
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostMon May 15, 2006 6:08 pm 
marylou wrote:
White Man in Hammersmith Palace, The Clash
ML's list is as good as I would have expected, but I'm sure she means "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" -- at least thats what my original vinyl import copy sez. up.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon May 15, 2006 7:00 pm 
Well, showing my age, these songs are still ones I love to listen to: 1. Rave On - Buddy Holly 2. Bad Moon Rising - Creedance 3. Old Time Rock n Roll - Bob Segar 4. American Pie (long version) - Don McClean 5. Takin it Easy - Eagles 6. Lyin Eyes - Eagles 7. Running against the wind - Bob Segar 8. Dreams - Cranberries 9. Fun Fun Fun - Beach Boys 10. Centerfield - John Fogerty & tons of others but I love songs that keep me motivated when I'm hiking. 11. Walk like a Man - 4 seasons (a true hiker song)

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 15, 2006 7:41 pm 
To tell the truth my tastes vay enough that nothing stays on top for too long the essence of rock is currentness, anyhow do you mind Slayer banana.gif banghead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
touron

touron
PostMon May 15, 2006 9:23 pm 
Here is a list of mostly pop songs. I don't know why I created it, and claim no responsibility. My fingers just started typing. I am not under the influence of anything. Usual disclaimers not explicitly written here or posted elsewhere apply. Here is a list in no paricular order: 1. Fly Like an Eagle, Steve Miller 2. Jet Airliner, Steve Miller 3. Lido Shuffle, Boz Scaggs 4. Lowdown, Boz Scaggs 5. Love Will Find a Way, Pablo Cruise 6. Joy to the World, 3 Dog Night 7. Brickyard Blues, 3 Dog Night 8. Don't Mess Around with Jim, Jim Croce 9. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Jim Croce 10. The Night Chicago Died, Paper Lace 11. New Kid in Town, Eagles 12. Tequila Sunrise 13. Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty 14. Right Down the Line, Gerry Rafferty 15. Sentimental Lady, Bob Welch 16. You Make Loving Fun, Fleetwood Mac 17. Over My Head, Fleetwood Mac 18. Whenever I Call You Friend, Stevie Nicks/Kenny Loggins 19. Rubberband Man, Spinners 20. Games People Play, Spinners 21. I Wish, Stevie Wonder 22. Boogie On Reggae Woman, Stevie Wonder 23. Sing a Song, Earth Wind and Fire 24. September, Earth Wind and Fire 25. Biggest Part of Me, Ambrosia 26. Dream Boat Annie, Heart 27. Stepping Out, Joe Jackson 28. On the Radio, Joe Jackson 29. Touch and Go, The Cars 30. Drive, The Cars 31. Heard it from a Friend, REO Speedwagon 32. Xanadu, Olivia Newton John 33. Southern Nights, GlennCampbell 34. Lonely Night, Captain & Tenille 35. Love Will Keep Us Together, Captain & Tenille 36. Take on Me, A-Ha 37. Taken In, Mike + Mechanics 38. Maggie May, Rod Stewart 39. Love Touch, Rod Stewart 40. Saturday in the Park, Chicago 41. Call on Me, Chicago 42. Venus & Mars/Rock Show, McCartney & Wings 43. Silly Love Songs, McCartney & Wings 44. Renegade, Styxx 45. Come Sail Away, Styxx 46. Somebody's Baby, Jackson Browne 47. Loadout Song/Stay, Jackson Browne 48. Kodachrome, Simon & Garfunkel 49. The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel 50. Call Me Al, Paul Simon 51. Born to Run, Bruce Springstein 52. Sherry Darling, Bruce Springstein 53. When You See a Chance, Steve Windwood 54. Santeria, Sublime 55. Danny's Song, Kenny Loggins 56. Heroes and Villains, Beach Boys 57. Hike Like an Egyptian, Bangles 58. Borderline, Madonna 59. Time after Time, Cyndi Lauper 60. Say it Isn't So, Hall & Oates 61. Kiss Is on My List, Hall & Oates 62. Valotte, Julian Lennon 63. Listen to the Music, Doobies 64. Freedom, Wham! 65. Overkill, Men at Work 66. Lost in Love, Air Supply 67. Anthony's Song, Billy Joel 68. Just the Way You Are, Billy Joel 69. Sailing, Christopher Cross 70. Never Be the Same Again, Christopher Cross 71. Highway Star, Sammy Haggar 72. California Man, Cheap Trick 73. Here Comes the Rain Again, Eurythmics 74. Breakdown, Swing Out Sister 75. Take My Breath Away, Berlin 76. Mony Mony, Tommy James and the Shondells 77. Right Time of the Night, Jennifer Warnes 78. Together Forver, Rick Astley 79. I Love You, Climax Blues Band 80. Blame It no the Rain, - 81. Bad Boys, Gloria Estefan 82. Rock the Boat, Hues Corporation 83. No One is to Blame, Howard Jones 84. Heaven, Bryan Adams 85. Fame, David Bowie 86. Summer Breeze, Seals and Crofts 87. Sister Golden Hair, America 88. Sweet Love, Anita Baker 89. Blue Bayou, Linda Rondstadt 90. Always, Atlantic Star 91. Don't You Want Me Baby, Human League 92. Just the Two of Us, Grover Washington Jr. 93. Welcome Back, Loving Spoonful 94. Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind, Loving Spoonful 95. Java Jive, Manhattan Transfer 96. Don't Leave Me this Way, Thelma Houston 97. Turn to Stone, ELO 98. Took the Last Train, David Gates 99. Roundabout, Yes 100. Stairway to Mt. Si, Led Tarplin

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon May 15, 2006 10:29 pm 
^ That's pretty much the playlist on the Muzak system at work. hurl.gif

touron

touron
PostMon May 15, 2006 10:54 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
^ That's pretty much the playlist on the Muzak system at work. hurl.gif
Will they let tourons work there?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue May 16, 2006 12:03 am 
The music selectors at my work are quite ecletic, choosing to pluck different pieces from one heaping mound of crap. There are no surveys and samples conducted to tabulate general opinions toward certain areas of music, instead there is just the assumption that the music that they shovel upon us is unanimously embraced and that we want to hear it repeatedly.Driving a shovel into my skull repeatedly would be less painful. 90 percent of what is played over the intercom is michael mcdonald, which is an upgrade from the around 75 percent that it used to be as michael mcdonald quickly begins to cover every song that has been conceived on planet Earth.Somebody somewhere believes that all humanity enjoys the same forms of music and that all of humanity prefers his singing over every other contemporary artist.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 16, 2006 1:16 am 
I started typing up a list but abandoned it when I hit 100 titles or so. Polecatjoe and Touron's posts proved to me that the term "Top 10" is really just a figure of speech and that we're really supposed to just post what we'd like to be listening to right now. Here's my list: 10,000 Maniacs - Jezebel A Split Second - Kiss of Fury Alizee - Moi Lolita, Jen ai Marre, C'est Trop Tard, J'ai Pas Vingt Ans Angelfish - Suffocate Me Basis - Hol Mich Raus Hier Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch Book of Love - Tubular Bells Camouflage - The Great Commandment Camper Van Beethoven - Pictures of Matchstick Men Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un m'a Dit Chicane - Saltwater, Halcyon, Red Skies, Autumn Tactics, Locking Down, Spirit Chumbawumba - Tubthumping Collective Soul - The World I Know Corrs - Breathless Cult - Edio (Ciao Baby) Cure - Pictures Of You, Why Can't I Be You, Fight, Friday I'm In Love, Cut Here Curve - Beyond Reach, Recovery, Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus, Clipped, Ten Little Girls, Fait Accompli, the entire Pubic Fruit album Dead Can Dance - Rakim, Gloridian, Xavier, Yulunga, Black Sun Delerium - Silence, Forgotten Worlds, Consensual Worlds, After All, Serenity, Touched, Stopwatch Hearts Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence, Stripped, But Not Tonight, Black Celebration, Everything Counts, People Are People, Precious, Nothing's Impossible, Lillian, Lie To Me, Master and Servant, In Your Room, Rush Dido - Here With Me, Hunter, Thank You, Take My Hand, Christmas Day Echo and the Bunnymen - the entire Reverberation album Enigma - Mea Culpa Fields of the Nephilim - For Her Light, Sumerland, Wail of Sumer, Celebrate, Last Exit For the Lost, the entire Elizium album Flunk - Blue Monday Front 242 - Headhunter, Rerun Time Front Line Assembly - Iceolate, Ausgang Zum Himmel Garbage - Shut Your Mouth, Vow, Push It, #1 Crush, You Look So Fine Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For? Heather Duby - the entire Post To Wire album Holly Valance - Kiss Kiss, Naughty Girl, Hypnotic, State Of Mind, Everything I Hate, Curious Jason Webley - Captain Where Are We Going Now? K's Choice - Live For Real, Believe, Not An Addict, Iron Flower Lauren Christy - Breed, I Want What I Want, Burn, Could've Been Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows, If It Be Your Will, Dance Me to the End of Love Live - Lightning Crashes, Deep Enough For You Machines of Loving Grace - Burn Like Brilliant Trash At Jackie's Funeral MARRS - Pump Up the Volume Midnight Oil - Warakurna, Beds Are Burning, The Dead Heart Ministry - You Know What You Are Moby - South Side, Bodyrock Natalie Merchant - Ophelia, My Skin Nena Hagen - 99 Luftballons (new version), Nur Geträumt, Leuchtturm (new version), Irgendwie Irgendwo Irgendwann New Model Army - the entire Thunder and Consolation album New Order - True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Fine Time Nine Inch Nails - Physical, Perfect Drug, Closer, Reptile, How Does It Feel?, Last, Terrible Lie, Head Like A Hole, Heresy, A Warm Place, Eraser, Right Where It Belongs Peter Murphy - Marlene Dietrich's Favourite Poem, Cuts You Up Pieter Nooten and Michael Brook - the entire Sleeps With the Fishes album Poe - Haunted, Amazing, Control, Hello, Angry Johnny, Beautiful Girl Pogues - Lorelei, Fairytale of New York, Love You 'til the End, Tuesday Morning Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, This Place is a Prison, Brand New Colony Primal Scream - Higher Than The Sun, Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With a Pocket Full of Change Public Image Limited - Happy, Rise Pulp - Common People REM - Stand Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated Rollergirl - Dear Jessie Rose Chronicles - the Dead and Gone to Heaven EP Rosetta Stone - Adrenaline, Come Hell or High Water Sarah McLachlan - Into the Fire, Black, Building A Mystery, Steaming, Vox, Fallen, Stupid, Trainwreck Semisonic - Closing Time Shakira - Estoy Aquí, Ciega Sordomuda, Si Te Vas, No Creo, Suerte, Que Vuelvas Shamen - Move Any Mountain Shriekback - Nemesis Sisterhood - Giving Ground, Rain From Heaven Sisters of Mercy - Under the Gun, Temple of Love, Blood Money, Bury Me Deep, Marian, First and Last and Always, Some Kind of Stranger, Amphetamine Logic, This Corrosion, Flood II, Driven Like The Snow, Lucretia My Reflection, Rock and a Hard Place, Ribbons Skinny Puppy - Assimilate, Dig It, Chainsaw Sky Cries Mary - Moonbathing, 2000 Light Years From Home Smiths - Girlfriend In a Coma, Please Please Please, Panic, How Soon Is Now, Shoplifters of the World Unite and Take Over Social Distortion - Ring of Fire Stoa - the entire Porta VIII album Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored, This Is the One They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng, Don't Lets Start This Mortal Coil - I Come and Stand At Every Door, 'Til I Gain Control Again, Come Here My Love/At First And Then/Strength of Strings, Alone/Mama K (II)/The Horizon Bleeds and Sucks Its Thumb, Song to the Siren, Another Day, the entire Blood album Tori Amos - Caught a Lite Sneeze, Crucify, Raspberry Swirl, Jackie's Strength, Playboy Mommy, Precious Things, Sugar, Bliss, Datura, Take to the Sky, A Sorta Fairytale, Taxi Ride U2 - Mysterious Ways, Love Is Blindness, Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle of Milk/Korova I, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Sunday Bloody Sunday Will - Father Forgive, Kingdom Come Xymox - Believe Me Sometimes, Smile Like Heaven, Twisted, All Fold Up, Imagination, pretty much anything Anka Wolbert contributed to Yello - Oh Yeah A little more eclectic with some guilty pleasures thrown in for good measure (see Holly Valance, Rollergirl, etc).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue May 16, 2006 8:34 am 
Jeezus, Touron- I just had a '70s flashback! Cool list. ace.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue May 16, 2006 11:18 am 
Trevor wrote:
90 percent of what is played over the intercom is michael mcdonald, which is an upgrade from the around 75 percent that it used to be as michael mcdonald quickly begins to cover every song that has been conceived on planet Earth.
LMAO! Ain't that the painful truth. We probably have the same muzak channels at our places of employ. banghead.gif
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Alizee - Moi Lolita, Jen ai Marre, C'est Trop Tard, J'ai Pas Vingt Ans (I'd buy here albums just to look at her picture....SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT.) Flunk - Blue Monday (Seriously? Their cover is the worst I've ever heard. Flunk does some really great songs, Spring to Kingdom Come and Blind My Mind are my favorites, but that cover just doesn't work.) New Order - True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Fine Time (Noticing a conspicuous lack of Blue Monday from here)

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue May 16, 2006 11:39 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Alizee - Moi Lolita, Jen ai Marre, C'est Trop Tard, J'ai Pas Vingt Ans (I'd buy here albums just to look at her picture....SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT.) Flunk - Blue Monday (Seriously? Their cover is the worst I've ever heard. Flunk does some really great songs, Spring to Kingdom Come and Blind My Mind are my favorites, but that cover just doesn't work.) New Order - True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Fine Time (Noticing a conspicuous lack of Blue Monday from here)
Re: Alizee. Guilty pleasure there as well. Speaking of guilt, have you seen any of Holly Valance's music videos? Re: Flunk...I like her voice so much more in the cover than the original. Heh. Haunting. Perhaps it helps that I have a predisposition toward covers / remixes with an new feel...a new exploration of something old. Tori's got a great cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit. I was tempted to include Dancing Barefoot on the Xymox entry. I love the lounge version of Master and Servant that Locust turned out. CVB's cover of Status Quo's "Pictures of Matchstick Men" is up there. My problem with the "Top 10" list thing is that there are just too many great pieces of music to make a list of only 10 songs. Top 20 artists? That might be doable...Top 10 being my "Phenomenal! Legendary!" choices, 11-20 being just exceptional quality, consistently strong performers: 1. Dead Can Dance 2. Sisters of Mercy 3. Curve 4. Depeche Mode 5. The Cure 8. Nine Inch Nails 7. Xymox / Clan of Xymox 8. Sarah McLachlan 9. 10,000 Maniacs / Natalie Merchant 10. U2 11. Delerium 12. Fields of the Nephilim 13. Camouflage 14. Stoa 15. Smiths / Morrissey 16. Shakira 17. Garbage 18. Dido 19. K's Choice 20. Tori Amos Maybe another list that would be interesting would be a perfect albums list. Basically a list of albums that you'd recommend wholeheartedly from start to finish, maybe with a max of 1-2 weak songs total. That would be a short list as well.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
greg

greg
PostTue May 16, 2006 2:36 pm 
Condi rocks harder than y'all. WASHINGTON (AP) – Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she works out to the acid rock of Cream and rocks out to Kool and the Gang. Elton John’s “Rocket Man” reminds her of her first boyfriend. But Rice, who trained to be a concert pianist before she became the top U.S. diplomat, said her all-time favorite musical work is Mozart’s Piano Concerto in D minor. Rice’s eclectic Top 10 music list appeared Tuesday in a special edition of the British newspaper The Independent. The list was a favor to rock star Bono, who guest edited the paper as part of a charity appeal to fight AIDS in Africa. Half the revenue from the edition will be donated to the Global fund to Fight AIDS. Secretary Rice told the paper she won her first piano competition at age 15 with the Mozart concerto. The fit 51-year-old put Cream’s “Sunshine of your Love” at No. 2, and noted that she plays it when she exercises. “Believe it or not, I loved acid rock in college and I still do,” she told the paper. Aretha Franklin’s woman-power anthem “Respect” comes in at No. 3, followed by Kool and the Gang’s party anthem “Celebration.” Rice went back to the classics with Brahms’ Piano Concerto No 2 and Piano Quintet in F minor. She said the quintet is the piece she most likes to play with friends at a regular Sunday afternoon chamber music session she hosts at her apartment. Not surprisingly, Bono’s band U2 makes the list, at No. 7, but Rice didn’t single out any U2 tune as a favorite. No. 8 is the 1972 Elton John sci-fi spaceman ballad, written with Bernie Taupin. “For Rice, and many children of the 1970s, this song is a blast from the past,” the newspaper wrote. Rice, who is single, added a personal note: “It brings back memories of college, friends, my first boyfriend.” Beethoven’s Symphony No. 7 is ninth. “Quite simply the greatest symphony of all time,” Rice said. “Boris Godunov” by Mussorgsky completes the list at No. 10. “The greatest opera of all time,” said Rice, a scholar of Russian history and language. “If you love Russia, you have to love Godunov.” The newspaper invited Bono to put together its Tuesday edition to highlight his latest venture, Project RED, which enlists corporations to donate the proceeds of products made under the “RED” brand to humanitarian efforts in Africa. Bono has long complained that Africa’s problems get little attention in the news. Alongside Rice’s list, Bono filled the pages with stories on HIV/AIDS, poverty and global warming. The newspaper’s front page featured a headline saying “No News Today,” with the footnote: “Just 6,500 Africans died today as a result of a preventable, treatable disease (HIV/AIDS).”

touron

touron
PostTue May 16, 2006 7:46 pm 
polecatjoe wrote:
Jeezus, Touron- I just had a '70s flashback! Cool list. ace.gif
Darn, I realized I left out some gems like Little River Bands Lady and Reminiscing, Sail On by Lionel Richie...too many good songs. up.gif

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed May 17, 2006 6:47 am 
Quote:
13. Party all the time- Eddie Murphy
This was just a test to see if anyone actually reads these- guess not!!

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
mgd

mgd
PostWed May 17, 2006 7:22 am 
1. One Bourbon drink.gif 2. One Scotch drink.gif 3. And One MGD, George Thorogood drink.gif