Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 08, 2016 11:22 pm 
holy old thread revival, Batman!
kleet, quoting from "The 50 worst things to ever happen to music" wrote:
#49. That dude who yells “Freebird!” at every rock show
^ my third Lynyrd Skynyrd concert (Seattle Center Arena) was pretty much the reason I stopped attending "rock concerts". they seemed to really make an art of bringing out the low-life in people. top 10, top 50, best guitar picker ever.... lists and lists and lists.... the best rock and roll is the kind of stuff that keeps you awake on I-25 driving from Sheridan to Casper at 4 am: be sure to crank up the volume to 11 before clicking this link

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostFri Jul 08, 2016 11:36 pm 
Love it, Ski! Cartman, great list! My all time favorite is Band on the Run - Wings. I was about 9'or 10'when this song came out, been my steady favorite ever since. Anything Boston. Love George Thourogood. Beatles Chicago Old George Strait, Chris LeDoux and John Anderson, but that's not old R&R!

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 12:44 am 
Local station KZOK 102.5 was doing a "Top 102 rock songs of all time" countdown" several years ago. They were down to about #50 or so. Listeners were calling in trying to guess what would be "Number 1" in the hopes of winning free tickets to see PeeWee Herman or a free toaster (or something along that line.) I'm listening between sales calls while driving around, and thinking that it's really getting damn silly so I pull over at a pay phone and call the station and get Mr. Slaton on the phone. "Come on Steve, everybody knows the greatest rock song of all time is Purple Haze!" "Who is this?!?!" "This is Brian, Steve... you know.. the one who used to hang out drooling over the amps down at Villa Stereo like you." "How did you know?" "Come on, Steve, who are you kidding?" "Hang on a minute, I have to get your information." "No no no... I'm not claiming a prize for a no-brainer, man." "Hahahahahah!" Well.. looks like dear Janey's got all the studio cuts pulled off YouTube again, but here's a doozie featuring that cool jacket from "I was Lord Kitchener's Valet"!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 12:55 am 
LizzyRN wrote:
"...but that's not old R&R!"
nope... but this gem from 1960 is! so lucky to have grown up with the radio at my old man's store tuned to KJR every day! up.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 5:30 pm 
I can't come up with my top 10 - probably too hard a question to answer, especially since the answer may change depending on my mood... ...however, somehow I never get tired of listening to this one, so this is one of my top 10 (not that it's going to make anyone else's list):

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 9:47 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
"I can't come up with my top 10..."
yeah... way too many great tunes out there... but here's a couple that should definitely qualify for "honorable mention": this record was meant to be played loud one of the best things that happened in 1972
cartman wrote:
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who Best scream in rock
not bad, but I've always been a bit more partial to Cindy Wilson's yips and howls.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jul 10, 2016 11:32 am 
I haven't read this whole thread so I'm a bit confused. The title says "Your Top 10 Rock Songs" but the discussion seems to be focused on Classic Rock. Are we allowed to list music from the '90s and newer? And what is "Rock?"

cartman

cartman
PostMon Jul 11, 2016 9:22 am 
Bedivere wrote:
I haven't read this whole thread so I'm a bit confused. The title says "Your Top 10 Rock Songs" but the discussion seems to be focused on Classic Rock. Are we allowed to list music from the '90s and newer? And what is "Rock?"
I focused on classic rock because I am a child of the 70's, and this is the music that has made the greatest impression on me. There's a lot of very good music that has come before and after, but hasn't had the same impact for me. "What is Rock?" You know it when you hear it.

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Jul 11, 2016 10:39 am 
I have 75 gig on my ipod. Maybe I could do top 200, not in order.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 am 
cartman wrote:
"...classic rock..."
I have to wonder about that term, and whether it's something that's been foisted upon us by the KZOK clones on the radio. How exactly is that defined?
Bedivere wrote:
Are we allowed to list music from the '90s and newer?
Is it worth a listen? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be "allowed". Those of us still living in our own time warps just aren't aware of it. wink.gif
Bedivere wrote:
And what is "Rock?"
It's what became of Rockabilly after Elvis put his own twist on it. ... but don't think for a minute that means it was invented by some white boy.