Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stolen Car
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostTue Apr 18, 2006 11:06 pm 
My car was stolen last night from my locked garage in Browne's Addition in Spokane. I can't offer any kind of reward (it's insured anyways so it's not the end of the world), but if anybody happens to see a dark green 1998 Subaru Outback wagon with the license plate 979-MNR, could you either call the Spokane PD, or let me know? Thanks.
Stolen from a locked garage in Browne's Addition in Spokane, WA. Lic# 979-MNR. If found, please contact Spokane Police Dept.
Stolen from a locked garage in Browne's Addition in Spokane, WA. Lic# 979-MNR. If found, please contact Spokane Police Dept.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 7:06 am 
I'm not really sure. I share the garage with others in my apartment complex, so somebody probably left the door open. It's also possible that a former resident didn't return a key. I had a hide-a-key on the car, but so did most of the other cars in the garage, and mine was hidden better. Also, mine not the nicest car in the garage. The paint is peeling off the roof, a characteristic I thought would be a great theft deterrent.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 7:25 am 
Last night a coworker of mine had an Explorer stolen from her locked garage in Snohomish County. This was a single family home. The cops suspect the buggers used a RF device to exploit the garage door opener. (Keys in the ignition made the rest of the job pretty easy.)

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 am 
That stuff sucks- the penalty for car theft is so light it isn't much of a deterrent. Sorry to hear about your rig...
Quote:
Stolen Car ------Bruce Springsteen I met a little girl and I settled down In a little house out on the edge of town We got married, and swore we'd never part Then little by little we drifted from each other's heart At first I thought it was just restlessness That would fade as time went by and our love grew deep In the end it was something more I guess That tore us apart and made us weep And I'm driving a stolen car Down on Eldridge Avenue Each night I wait to get caught But I never do She asked if I remembered the letters I wrote When our love was young and bold She said last night she read those letters And they made her feel one hundred years old And I'm driving a stolen car On a pitch black night And I'm telling myself I'm gonna be alright But I ride by night and I travel in fear

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 2:37 pm 
The police officer I reported to said that car theft in Spokane has incresed from 5 per week to 25 per week in the last 2 years. He said they usually drive them until they run out of gas, then dump them somewhere. I guess that means there is still hope of finding it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 4:32 pm 
LoJack is the answer to any stolen vehicle.... lojack

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 9:12 pm 
Lojack is cool. Unfortunately it's not available in Spokane yet. Lojack pays for all the tracking and retrieval equipment in the police cars, so they only do major markets right now. It's amazing how complacent a door makes us, thieves know this too agree.gif .
Quote:
A well hidden key
on a Suby lol.gif shakehead.gif The good news, BarePaw, if there is any, is that most newer cars now have some sort of transponder key, so hotwiring is really tough, if possible at all. That means the Subys replacement will probably be more resistant to theft, providing that you don't supply the thief with a key of his own. doh.gif Or you can always just get one of these.
the club
the club
Capn. I coulda made a killin in the midnight auto supply biz. clown.gif

mgd

mgd
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 10:16 pm 
Now I'm starting to see these cars everywhere. Two in the last 3 hours. huh.gif

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 10:44 pm 
mgd wrote:
Now I'm starting to see these cars everywhere. Two in the last 3 hours. huh.gif
I know what you mean. I think that color must have been popular on that model. How effective are those clubs? They get through it pretty quick on the movie "Gone in Sixty Seconds".

Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostWed Apr 19, 2006 10:58 pm 
BarePaw wrote:
How effective are those clubs?
If someone really wants your car? Not very effective. You'd like to think that if some "casual" car thief came around and had a choice between your car with a club or something like it and the car next to it with nothing, they'd go for what was easier. They're pretty inexpensive.

Justan

Justan
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 8:27 am 
I've had 2 cars stolen. One from my driveway during daylight and one from a repair shop. For the cars we park outside, the club has stopped further iterations of vehicle theft but not from being broken into. One car of ours has been broken into something like 5 times in the last 10 years, including post club use, and had 4 radios and other stuff taken. But since using the club, the car itself has not been stolen again. Thieves the world over are after the easy targets....

-Justan Elk
Gaius

Gaius
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 9:21 am 
I use to work on Lake Pend Orielle for the Navy and stolen cars would be dumped in the lake off of the Cape Horn road. There is a section of the road that skirts the top edge of a cliff that ends in the lake. The cliff area didn't have any jersey barriers. As we were heading up the lake in our boat we would run by this cliff area. Occasionally there would be more car debris (mufflers, bumpers, glass, etc.), more than usual, that is. We would call the Kootenai county sheriff and they would send out a dive team. Sure enough, there was always a car. The Navy would then send out a barge then to recover the car/engine. It always seemed strange to me how they would choose this place. Kinda out of the way.

Locutus
Hiking Borg

Locutus
Hiking Borg
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 12:02 pm 
BarePaw wrote:
How effective are those clubs? They get through it pretty quick on the movie "Gone in Sixty Seconds".
They're a deterrent, not an absolute prevention. That being said, they're probably more hassle than it's worth for a casual thief. They also need to be attached properly— make sure the long bit with the rubber handle is wedged securely into the corner between the windshield and the door. It should be nearly impossible to turn the steering wheel more than a few inches.

I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostThu Apr 20, 2006 1:51 pm 
A piece of heavy chain with a big padlock on it thru the wheel and around the seat frame really slows em down. So does a Ruger .44mag. guns.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats

Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats
PostMon Apr 24, 2006 12:07 am 
Sorry to hear about yer ride bein' jacked BarePaw. I don't know how I could possibly resist replying to this thread. To be honest with you I'm utterly surprised I've waited this long!!! I've been touched by the evil hand of mankind twice! Yes, that's right, twice (2 times!) I've had a vehicle stolen - from trailheads!!! One was a Toyota Celica GT(before I was the world-renowned backpacker I am today...) about five years ago, and then the second was an Isuzu Rodeo last July. I'll tell you what though... maybe it's just my laid back personality, but after a couple times it's more of a nuisance thumbing a ride out of the woods than find a new vehicle. Boy have I got stories to tell about that... I digress... Ok, so with having had two vehicles savagely appropriated I've spent many eons pondering and researching possible solutions. I came up with a system that if my ignition was tampered with then a trap door would open on a box beneath the drivers seat to release four extremely rabid and hungry badgers. But after talking to my brother I decided that three highly venomous rattlesnakes may be better for the job. (Rattlesnakes trump Levis any day of the week.) But after long hard thought I decided it would be best to fill the box with a colony of fire ants. Unfortunately finding someone to create and install this system wasn't easy - no so much. Plus the detective handling my case wasn't real keen on the idea of me sitting on rattlesnakes... My factory alarm triggers and ignition cutoff, but I wired a rocker switch to my fuel pump so that unless someone knows where my switch is... they're going nowhere. The hardest part is getting used to hitting the switch each time I exit and enter the vehicle. I forget every once in a while so when I go to start my Xterra it sounds like a 1981 Yugo that has no oil in the system... after a while it'll be second nature. A hidden kill switch is the way to go, and mine only took me about 15 minutes to install. Forget the club, it's useless. It's a deterrent, but it can easily be disposed of with some freon or a hacksaw to the pedal or steering wheel - depending on which club you get. The second act of piracy lasted a couple weeks, but a high-speed pursuit ensued and my extremely "modified" Rodeo was recovered after being crashed into a field in Snohomish. The kat that stole my vehicle basically got away with a slap on the hand and his birthday taken away! Vehicle theft laws are far too lenient in Washington if you ask me. Maybe I could rig up a claymore under the driver's side to take out everything below the knees... Seriously though, my friend's dad sent me an outstanding article on vehicle security options if you might want it.

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back." - Arthur Rubinstein http://www.flickr.com/photos/capn_ahab/sets/