Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake 22 and Heather Lake: 05.12.06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostTue May 16, 2006 8:52 am 
I chose these two hikes for my Friday off because they are very popular, close by, fairly low elevation, and I've never done them before. It was a good day to check these off my list and fill in some more pink highlighting on my Granite Falls Green Trails map. (I highlight trails after I've hiked them so I can glance at a map and see where I've been and what is yet to be done) Drive through Granite Falls and take the Mt Loop Hwy past the ranger station. Just after the blue bridge is the Mt. Pilchuck Rd, which also has the Heather Lake trail head. Drive a little further down the highway and Lake 22 trail head parking lot is on the right. Lake 22 parking lot was empty, and thankfully it stayed empty until after I left. I made a bonehead mistake of leaving my wallet in plain view on the driver's seat for 2.5 hours while I was hiking. Acorrding to Deputy Raser, thieves and vandals already abound this year. I guess they were sleeping in. The Lake 22 trail reminds me a bit of the Mt Si trail in that it is so well built and maintained it is like walking on a sidewalk. A sign said the area was set aside in the '40s to study the effects of not logging on water, soil and wildlife. Much of the hike is through old growth forest with giant cedars and firs. About half way to the lake, the light rain turned to a heavy, wet snow. The lake itself is still over half frozen, and the boardwalk around the lake is covered in several feet of hard snow. I was content to hang out at the bridge crossing the outlet for awhile before I headed back to the car and over to the Heather Lake trail head. The Heather Lake trail is a little bit shorter and less steep, but it is also more rugged. The contrast between the two trails entertained my thoughts for most of the hike. Lake 22 is a very man made trail through a very natural forest. Heather Lake trail is a very natural, rocky rooty trail through a forest clearly altered by people. It passes many huge cedar stumps pocked with springboard notches, and most of the trees are fairly mature 2nd growth. Part of the way treads on a old road now reclaimed by skinny trees and grasses. Both are enjoyable, and I plan to take my little kids on each one later this year. I also drove as far as a could up the Mt Pilchuck road. It is in good shape and clear to about 1/2 mile before the trailhead. At that point snow covers the road pretty deep and the road is pretty narrow, so few people, I think, would go further. No pictures of Heather Lake because my batteries died. Lake 22: 5.5 miles and 1,200 ft elevation gain Heather Lake: 4.5 miles and 1,000 ft
Lake 22 trail side waterfall May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 trail side waterfall May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 trail May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 trail May 12, 2006.
Snowing on Lake 22 trail May 12, 2006.
Snowing on Lake 22 trail May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 outlet stream May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 outlet stream May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 entrance May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 entrance May 12, 2006.
Lake 22, still 1/2 frozen May 12, 2006.
Lake 22, still 1/2 frozen May 12, 2006.
Lake 22 boardwalk covered in snow
Lake 22 boardwalk covered in snow