Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sliding Sands Trail, Haleakala NP, Maui - 12/21/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 12:41 pm 
Nice photos Pappy. Brings back memories of '87. A coubple of things I remember distinctly about that park was how the clouds started rolling into the crater. Awesome. The other? After geting back to the car I ran back to the overlook for one last shot. Thought I was gonna die. Then I remembered reading the sign, "walk, do not run". How true. Get a suntan? NN up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
C Dog

C Dog
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 1:22 pm 
Looks great, I'll have to check it out next time I make it to Maui. Almost went a couple of years ago, but after seeing hundreds of advertisements to "bike down a volcano!", I thought it would be way too touristy. smile.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //

PostFri Jan 03, 2003 1:38 pm 
NN, I tan easy so yes I got a tan. C Dog, I Don't mean to mis-lead anyone. It is touristy. But the parking lot is a fraction of the size of one of Ranier's big lots. Like anywhere though, leave the road and you leave most people. Agree about the bike trip. They looked like sitting ducks waiting to get nailed on the countless hairpin turns.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 1:53 pm 
I would have loved to have hiked & biked it when I was in Maui several years ago but I got sick after my conference ended and was relegated to driving around in my rental car bawl.gif. Nevertheless, the drive up to the top of Haleakala was simply amazing. Imagine driving all the way up to the top of Rainier (er, strike that thought if you're not a Bush Republican embarassedlaugh.gif). I didn't think it was too touristy either. The next day I tip-toed around the boundaries of the rental car agreement drove all the way around the volcano. That was quite an experience too - the back side is one of the most barren and desolate places on earth - a stark contrast to the lush rainforest on the other side.