Forum Index > Trail Talk > WTA news?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mb

mb
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 5:41 pm 
Hey, anyone know what's going on over at the WTA? I was just thinking about them and noticed they're looking for a magazine editor, and the web archive of the magazine hasn't been updated since June, and the weekly report hasn't been updated since 9/27/01.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 6:10 pm 
Dan Nelson wrote a farewell column that was published in the most recent edition of Washington Trails. He's going to be taking over the management of the US Hang Gliding Association's magazine.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 5:19 pm 
I last heard from Bill Sunderland about two months ago. He had planned to release a new version of the web site in October, but ended up on a jury. There was also a change coming up in his work. I'm wondering whether the weekly report was intended to be discontinued. It lacks a shortcut or hot link on the home page. We are continuing to work on the Trails Database for the web site.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 12:47 am 
Yes they have a couple of jobs open over at WTA. There are changes afoot.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mb

mb
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm 
website down
just went over to check and their website is down, saying "new website coming soon". what a weird way to do things, unless the new website is coming tomorrow and they just want it down for a single day.

Whirled Why Wait

Whirled Why Wait
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 6:14 pm 
That's the way Bill S does it -- he closes it down for a massive reorganization. Seems like a smart idea... people can wait while he messes with it, eh?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
An Observer

An Observer
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 6:19 pm 
I am simply fascinated by the interest shown here about WTA's forthcoming updated website.

mb

mb
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 6:32 pm 
Um, the normal way to do it is to prepare a new web site somewhere else (like beta.wta.org) then switch over in a few minutes. I'm more interested in what's going and what they're up with respect to trail advocacy and maintence than the web site, but the site is the only way I know what that is. This weekend is the first time I've checked on it in quite a while.

An Observer

An Observer
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 6:37 pm 
As a member of WTA you receive "Washington Trails" and should be well infomed about their programs!

-lol-

-lol-
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 7:06 pm 

mb

mb
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 7:11 pm 
Ah, good point, Observer. I don't know if I've ever been an official member of the WTA. For a number of years I donated an amount greater than the membership fee, but I declined the magzine when offered. Why? Because I don't want more chopped-up-tree publications when I can read the same information on-line. That amount was a portion of a workplace-giving-program, and since I no longer work there I haven't yet re-organized my finances to include the WTA. And frankly, they're lower on my list than they used to be because of politicial decisions they have made (unsure alliance with bicyclists, support of the trail park pass). If it weren't for the web site I probably wouldn't even know they existed. I never had the planning to go on a work trip, and it took me a while to connect the magazine I saw in REI to the organization.

An Observer

An Observer
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 7:56 pm 
The new WTA website is running. Well taken point mb about another 'chopped up tree publication' though I'm sure they use recycled paper. In any case, you can read the magazine online now.

mb

mb
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 11:15 pm 
Looks like the website was a normal switchover, I just happend upon it at the wrong time and the 'we're down' message didn't have a timeframe (like we're down until 3/3/3). Haven't looked at it much yet, but it looks good.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 11:18 pm 
oooOOOOOoooo. Eye candy. From a web designers p.o.v, it is very bad practice to take down your old site while the new one is being built. I could probably spend an hour or two tongue lashing them about how to cut down the dowload time too (not that it took forever, but there are ways to streamline). It's looking very nice though. *edited to say that I've got a beef with their navigation system too*

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 1:20 am 
I dont think I've been to the WTA website since Trail Talk was shut down. Not out of spite or anything, I just forget it exists. tongue.gif