Forum Index > Trail Talk > WTA news?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
routerlegs

routerlegs
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:14 am 
Whine mode on. WTA being revised pales in comparison with NWhikers being down for 17.6 minutes the other night. Why, you'd think both websites were run by a bunch of amateurs! In my day, only professionals would consider running a web site. These days any yahoo can open an email address. I say we all go back to carrier pigeons; this internet craze will pass. Whine mode off.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 9:58 pm 
Speaking of WTA - the March magazine has an article on outdoor web sites and they list 9 or 10, but not us. In my opinion, some that they do list are pretty obscure and a whole lot less useful to the NW hiker. Is this a harmless oversight, or are they deliberately avoiding us? They do list us among their links on the website however, under "organizations". (I guess there's no other convenient category...) I do belong to WTA, though, because most of what they represent and work towards is in my interest; even though I disagree sometimes, such as with their position on the Middle Fork Road. It's sort of like politics - you have to vote for one party or the other, even though it's not likely that everything they might support is 100% to your liking...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 10:30 pm 
Must have been a harmless oversight. I can't think of any other reason. suuure.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:36 pm 
Exactly which sites DO they list, for those of us who aren't members...

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:52 pm 
Tom wrote:
Must have been a harmless oversight. I can't think of any other reason. suuure.gif
Honestly, I'm surprised they even linked to us. Allison must have pulled some strings for that one, considering how things ended. We should put up a "NWHikers History" page with the sordid details. By the way, I fully blame you for the demise of WTA Trail Talk, Tom. Trying to hack the forum. You should be ashamed! cool.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 12:07 am 
As far as the imfamous hacking allegation goes, the extent was I used javascript to embed a picture in my post. Here is the post that got me banned: September 15, 2001 It was sure nice to get away from the heartbreaking images on TV this weekend. A trip to Red Pass on Saturday offered some mental relief and time for reflection...

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 12:11 am 
I'm more amazed that you still have the post! eek.gif clown.gif

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 12:18 am 
MCaver wrote:
We should put up a "NWHikers History" page with the sordid details.
I'd like to hear all the details on the birth of the site. Got a few from Allison when I hiked to Lake Margaret with her and Erik last fall. Interesting eek.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 7:17 am 
Why Tom, you subversive! I expect Mr. Ashcroft's boys will be around to have a chat with you soon. I am completely out of the loop here; I sensed from some offhanded comments that there was some tension but didn't know why. Okay, so I want to be nosy... spill it! rant.gif All the sordid details.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 8:40 am 
The Washington Trails article lists these hiking web sites. Interestingly, the whole magazine isn't on the WTA web page as someone suggested earlier, just a couple feature articles (at least that's all I can find): hikercentral, peaktopeak, pacific northwest hikes, vtrail, cooltrails, hikingwebsite, washingtonhikes, alpinejo (one of ours), nwog.org And speaking of the Pacific NW History links on our site, that is exactly the sort of thing that WTA should link to and give us credit for. I think it's kind of a unique resource.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 12:55 pm 
Yes, the articles the WTA has on their website now from the magazine are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. There are some that I would like to save but I can't figure out how to do it. The copy function for Internet Explorer doesn't seem to work with that format. When I try and copy and then look at the Clipboard Viewer it says: Not recognized or something like that. Does someone here know a method of saving those stories? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Damian

Damian
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 1:41 pm 
I'm sure Tom was partially responSible for the demise of WTA TT with his offensive posts and photos. I too was banned as a resullt of having views that were contrary to the webmeister's. I also got deservedly in trouble for reposting an entire string of censored posts from other contributors. I simply hit my browsers back button and cut and pasted the censored posts. That really steamed em. I didn't even agree with the posts but their censorship really irritated me, especially since they were all simply opinions offered by thoughtful folks, and in a respectful fashion. I guess I'm still a rebellious teenager at heart sometimes. What always amazed me was how Mtngoat never got banned...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 2:34 pm 
To be honest, I posted a couple other things prior that led to my banishment and my trip reports being deleted (for one, complaining that the webmaster could embed pictures in posts while disabling it for everyone else). I think Bill was more annoyed that I outsmarted him with a simple javascript tag than anything. lol.gif All in all it worked out for the better. The WTA didn't see a forum serving their interests, and now we have our own forum. I personally have no ill will toward the WTA and hope the past can be buried.

REJ

REJ
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 3:04 pm 
Wooly: I can successfully download pdfs from the WTA site by placing the cursor on the article name, clicking on the right mouse button, and selecting "save target as." I use Internet Explorer and Mozilla as browsers.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 3:35 pm 
Thanks REJ. That works.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir