Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mission Ridge 6830' and Plateau 5/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 18, 2006 6:39 pm 
Access : Squilchuck Rd.>Beehive Rd.>Parked at Devils Gulch TH Maps : GTM Liberty, GTM Wenatchee/Mission Ridge/Devils Gulch Stats : 9 miles, 2314', 6 hr., high point 6830' E of Mission Peak All the roads are clear and in good condition to The Eastern terminus of The Devils Gulch TH. I was going to start from The Devils Gulch Spur Trail off Squilchuck, but when I saw Beehive Rd. ungated and clear I decided to check it out and if possible save some elevation gain and several miles. I was already leaving much later than I had wanted, taking my daughter to school, so I didn't get on the trail (Beehive - Liberty Beehive Rd.) until 0800, immediately after starting up the old forest road you encounter snow / ice which increases with some areas up to 6' and very soon covering the road completely until around 5800-5900 where you note a dirt barrier or right now a snow hump and turn E the way narrows and becomes a old grade / path / corridor which can easily be missed, especially early in the snow season. You pass by a reservoir which is like a small lake which is partially melted out and shortly thereafter come to the beginning of the open plateau. I followed the open plateau instead of the corridor (I did Mission Peak via that route winter 04) and enjoyed open slopes of various heights and angles, rock formations and unlimited views. I climbed out of the forest and into rock and snow for the most part wandering around (trying to avoid the occasional posthole to the crotch) and below the narrow ridgeline, points, and Mission Peak 6876'. There was a talus saddle between Mission Peak and Point 6736' where I climbed up and through and was on the Ellensburg side of the ridge with good views of Mt. Rainier, though Mt. Adams is also dominate it was partially occluded by some heavy smoke to the S, The Goat Rocks, Stuart Range, Wenatchee Mtns.,Glacier Peaks, Entiat Mtns. etc..., were all easily viewed. I climbed further up a talus slope to the ridge at 6830' and ate some trail mix while also restocking my hydration bladder with snow. The sun was HOT, but the winds up there were refreshing. I could see the new quad lift and the new reservoir they built. I didn't stay long and downclimbed and checked out the area moving W and down slowly, I did several glissades party.gif which are my first this year, this was the first time I was able to get out in the snow since Nov. 05, but a really nice area for glissading with many open snow covered slopes. I have to admit I approached this in a hurried fashion knowing the temps were suppose to get HOT and was afraid I would be walking into a mess, but overall the snow was consolidated pretty good. The walk back seemed long probably due to the sun, heat, pack, and snow. The starting temp was 69 degrees and back at the truck 88 degrees flammable.gif Applied alot of sunscreen, wore that damn hat rant.gif, and sunglasses saved my eyes for sure. up.gif http://community.webshots.com/album/550523092RAyWed

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostFri May 19, 2006 1:24 pm 
Rob, nice trail report! up.gif K and I want to get to that area for some exploration. I liked your photos....especially the nice long glisade trench. But, is that some yellow snow I see at the bottom of the trench? winksmile.gif rolleyes.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 19, 2006 1:43 pm 
Actually, I shot most of them at the wrong exposure settings etc..., I just started freaking out and put it on full auto, frames were flying by and 512mb cards were loading and ejecting all over guns.gif . The yellow was the result of a "Depends" leak wub.gif , but almost seriously it would be fun, the snow is consolidating, lots of open space, slopes, Mission Peak (Highest SE peak of the Wenatchee Mountains). A car to car would be nice Mission Ridge W terminus up to the small lake, a summit and out via Beehive Rd. or loop back via The Devils Gulch trail to your original start you would be taking in a whole lot of changing terrain. Lots of options.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri May 19, 2006 1:59 pm 
Nice hike there wildernessed. Your probably in better shape than me right now. hockeygrin.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 19, 2006 2:06 pm 
Having hiked with you before, that seems unlikely. agree.gif, unless you've taken a turn for the worse or turned to the dark side. The question is are you a hiker/scrambler or a Sith Lord ? horsey.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri May 19, 2006 2:18 pm 
Hmm... I guess you could call me a hibernating hiker who will awake soon. smile.gif