Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Monte Cristo around 1979
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 9:03 pm 
Found this old photo I took of Monte Cristo. You could still drive there then.
Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 10:28 pm 
Interesting. My last good recollection of Monte Cristo is from the early 1970s. I drove up there to hike around, when I got there in the early morn I bought a cup of coffee and a bakery roll from the little store place that was still open for buisness. Inside was an old fellow who wrote a book on Monte Cristo...he was going to sign autos that day in the books folks would buy. Small conversation was had and I went about my wandering, sad to say I regret not talking with him longer and buying one of his books. At any rate, I never forgot buying some breakfast up there and or the fellow sitting there with his books...

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 10:47 am 
The old man signing books
I wonder if that was the author of "The Coffee Chased Us Up" that you saw at the bakery signing books. The time-line would be about right. Karen

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 11:33 am 
I once stayed in one of the cabins for a week around 68-69. Cabins were to the right in the photo. Maybe 4-6 of em. Had propane hotplates for cooking and heat along with a bed. There was a caretaker and a couple of ladies living in the lodge? at the time. Was a pretty nifty place at the time as it had a that real ghost town feeling. I did a bunch of snooping around and helping with some of the trail work. Had a few breakfasts and dinners with them. I can't remember seeing any other people up there during that whole week. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 1:57 pm 
Cabins
Newbie, I did the same thing exactly. I stayed in the cabin several times over a period of a year or two. I thought they were funky and wonderful. The family that ran the place at that time was the Rossman family. Jerry Rossman was a great story teller and he's the guy I bought my copy of the Monte Cristo Guide from. Also a T-shirt with Monte Cristo on it. I still have the t-shirt and the guide, of course. We used to stay at the cabins even after the road washed out in the late fall and early winter. We backpacked the road and then stayed at the cabin. Had some great times. Somewhere in my leaning piles of papers, photos, books I have some photos of Jerry Rossman in his jeep. If and when I find them I'll post one. He was a character and if I had never stumbled on those cabins and Monte Cristo I might not have ever taken up hiking. That place hooked me immediately. Karen

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 8:51 pm 
"the author of "The Coffee Chased Us Up" That sounds like the book title I believe. McPil PS. It kind of reminded me of Stehekin in the 1960s.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 6:34 pm 
This is a postcard by a fellow named Martin Johnson -- does anyone know who Martin Johnson was?
Karen

Karen

Karen
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 6:37 pm 
Here's one more. Obviously these were taken before Big Four Inn burned down.
Karen

JimK

JimK
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 10:32 pm 
Nice photos Karen. I have seen many Big Four shots but not those.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 1:35 am 
Elof Norman was the author of "The Coffee Chased Us Up-Monte Cristo Memories" published 1977 by the Mountaineers. Surprisingly entertaining and engrossing recollections (his first book, written late in life) of his childhood in Monte Cristo in the early 1900's.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 10:56 am 
Found this photo while looking for something else. From the UW collection of Asahel Curtis photos. I remember walking down the "Main Street" back in the mid 60's. Don't recall how intact anything really was. Seems like there were some of the buildings still standing. Mining Town of Monte Cristo - 1906

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Karen

Karen
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 2:23 pm 
Thanks, Timber Cruiser
That is a GREAT photograph -- I'm glad you found it. Thanks, Karen

C Dog

C Dog
PostThu Jan 16, 2003 9:24 pm 
TimberCruiser/Karen/Others Posting Photos -- Just wanted to thank all of you for posting these old photos and sharing the stories, I went back and re-read most of the posts in this forum today; very interesting and entertaining stuff! It's been great reading about Monte Cristo, adds some depth to my "where did these tracks lead?" questions and fantasies after doing the Old Robe a couple of years ago. Thanks again. -Chris Ghost tracks along the Stilly...

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
rjtschetter

rjtschetter
PostWed Jan 22, 2003 9:54 am 
I have a few postcards from the 1962 - 1967 era of Monte Cristo. My folks were part owners of Monte and I spent many summers taking the parking toll (we collected at the gate) and working the lodge "souvenir shop and cleaning out the cabins and lodge rooms. I hiked and climbed just about every square surrounding area and had a wonderful time. I will have to get some of the postcards scanned and post them. It's a great place with a wonderful history.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jan 22, 2003 5:36 pm 
Faded Words Revisited
Those of you who have hiked beyond Monte Cristo to Glacier Basin have passed a fir tree conspicuously cordoned off by a white picket fence. Within the fence, behind a piece of glass, lies a faded piece of paper which is totally illegible. On it were once written words eulogizing James E. Kyes. James Kyes was born in Everett. He studied at the University of Washington but finished his education at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, graduating in 1930. He served aboard the carriers Saratoga and Ranger before returning to Annapolis to continue courses in engineering. He was given command of of the destroyer USS Leary which was to patrol and convoy in the North Atlantic during WWII. It was there that Commander Kyes went to assist an aircraft carrier which had been attacked by German submarines. The Leary was hit by two torpedoes, broke in half, and foundered. He noticed his black messboy (that was the term at the time) did not have one. He removed his jacket and gave it to the messboy. James Kyes went down with his ship and the memorial was place honoring his courage. The tree was supposedly planted by James Kyes during his teenage years when he lived with his family in Monte Cristo. Kyes Peak was first summited by him and a group of other people. A tin-can (destroyer), as he would have called it, was launched on Aug 4, 1945 and sponsored (the navy doesn't christen) by his widowed wife, Mrs. James E. Kyes. It received six battle stars for Korean service. It was decommisioned as a US vessel but sailed with the Taiwanese Navy as a guided missile destroyer at least until 1998.