Forum Index > Trip Reports > Canyon Lake and Point 4,876 5.20.06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon May 22, 2006 8:26 pm 
After getting my copy of "Hiking Whatcom County" by Ken Wilcox, I decided to check out Canyon Lake. Canyon Lake Creek Community Forest was created with the combined efforts of the Whatcom Land Trust (WLT), Whatcom County Parks and Recreation, and Western Washington University. It is a 2,300 acre community forest reserve located at Canyon Lake. The reserve contains one of the oldest stands of Alaska yellow cedar in the NW, with trees nearly 1,000 years old. Most of the watershed above the lake has been logged and roaded, but the 600 acres of old growth that remained are now protected. Public and private funds were raised to meet the $3.6 million purchase price. WLT holds a conservation easement on the property and the county and university jointly own and manage it for recreation, research, and environmental education. Of the existing logging roads 4 miles were converted to trails with a 1.2 mile section that goes through the old growth, and another 2 mile loop that goes around the lake. After reading the above and checking the location on the USGS maps and finding the whole lake surrounded by a horse shoe shaped ridge-line at near 5,000' with a number of high points to investigate, that was enough for me to get out and explore. As an added plus there's not to many places that I can think of that only requires me to take a right out of my drive way and a right at Mosquito Lk. Rd. and then another right at Canyon Crk. Rd. to reach the TH. Canyon Crk. Rd. was in great shape and there was only a few potholes to negotiate around. I arrived at the TH at 10:30 and got started right away. I first headed to the creek because of it's deafening roar, only to discover that there is no bridge or any other way to get across. There was two new footings poured and I can only assume that a new bridge is soon to follow. I then turned my attention to the TH in the other direction and made my way to the lakes edge (maybe a 100' from the TH). Everything was cloaked in a mist and as I approached the lake, a small break in the mist presented me with a peek-a-boo view of the lake and surrounding area. My first thought was one of a curtain opening and someone teasing me with a sneak preview and then quickly closing the curtain. Well at 5 tenths of a mile I came to the split in the trail that takes one to the lake loop if you take the right or as I decided, go straight and continue to climb on one of the most gentle graded ex-logging roads that I have ever been on. As I continued on, the mist finally dissipated enough that I was able to see everything and was now impressed by all of the waterfalls cascading down around me. Hearing the waterfalls as they hurry off to nurture and sustain all living things brings such a healing feeling to me. One of the many other things that I enjoy at this time of year is the greenery displayed by all of the plant life. What a great time of year to be out in Mother Nature's glory. Yesterday I had taken Crystal cross country up Bear/Black Creek off of the MLH and wasn't quite sure what kind of mileage I was going to get out of her so I just went at a relaxing rate and enjoyed each and every waterfall that we came across. I should add that if you hate waterfalls, this hike would probably kill you, better stay away. The trail was snow free up to 3,200' and then became patchy to continuous after 3,600'. The snow was firm and easy to stay on top. We reached a spur road at 3,200' and this is where Canyon Creek crosses a spur to the S. Because the creek was rushing so high and fast I wasn't able to find a easy crossing and therefor continued on the main road to my left. As it turned out this was the main road converted to trail and we made the last couple of switch backs before I headed straight up slope to the ridge crest. Crystal was now running out of steam and decided to take a break at about 4,200'. I could see her from above and continued on to point 4,876. My hope was to be able to get some great views of Mt. Baker and the Sisters, but that was not to happen, due to the low cloud cover. I spent a few minutes taking pictures and headed back down. The views of the lake where spectacular and I couldn't help myself from taking quite a few shots. I ran into Crystal at 4,600' on the way down, apparently she must have gotten bored and decided to come up and see what I was up to. I was grateful to see that see was willing to push through and not completely throw in the towel. We both made our way back down at an old dogs pace and I was thankful to have another great outing with my four-legged friend. BTW, There was only two trucks at the TH when I first got there, but I seen no one on my way in and only ran into a couple with their dog on the way out and a different set of trucks at the TH.
Canyon Lake as seen near the TH at the begining of the hike.
Canyon Lake as seen near the TH at the begining of the hike.
Canyon Lake, on the return to the TH.
Canyon Lake, on the return to the TH.
Logs breaching in Canyon Lk. as seen from near the TH. 5.20.06.
Logs breaching in Canyon Lk. as seen from near the TH. 5.20.06.
Canyon Lake as seen from near point 4876. 5.20.06.
Canyon Lake as seen from near point 4876. 5.20.06.
Canyon Lake as seen from near point 4876. 5.20.06
Canyon Lake as seen from near point 4876. 5.20.06
Point 4876
Point 4876
One of the many waterfalls along the upper Canyon Lake trail. 5.20.06.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 22, 2006 9:57 pm 
Wow, who would've thunk of this? It's nice to read about other places to go for a quick trip. Thanks for the history, the trip report, and photos. Does the Wilcox book indicate when this parcel o' land purchased & how the funds were raised (for example, how'd the word get out about the sale and plan to purchase?)

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:05 pm 
Quark wrote:
Thanks for the history, the trip report, and photos.
The pleasures all mine.
Quark wrote:
Does the Wilcox book indicate when this parcel o' land purchased & how the funds were raised (for example, how'd the word get out about the sale and plan to purchase?)
No, he did not mention anything other than what I posted above. Sorry.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:15 pm 
That's ok; I re-read what you wrote, and it sounds like many agencies were involved in the purchase. That sort of thing is interesting to me. I was in the Mosquito Lk area this past winter to do some eagle watching; sure is a beautiful area. I'll keep this trip report in mind fer sure! P.S. Some of the phraseology you use isn't quite suited to speaking of a girlfreind or wife - "I didn't know how much mileage I was going to get out of her," and "old dogs' pace," and "I left her and continued..." Whew, I'm glad I re-read the report and now know that Crystal is a dog.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:36 pm 
Quark wrote:
P.S. Some of the phraseology you use isn't quite suited to speaking of a girlfreind or wife - "I didn't know how much mileage I was going to get out of her," and "old dogs' pace," and "I left her and continued..." Whew, I'm glad I re-read the report and now know that Crystal is a dog.
That reminds me of something I read on a chalk board in a mens bathroom once. It went like this "I live in pain and suffering most every day of the week, but some times on the weekend I leave my wife at home and go golfing" I guess the gender could be switched and have the same meaning. I just find it pretty witty and funny.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue May 23, 2006 1:23 am 
Canyon Crk Lk area
I've been up there recently. TR at https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14131 . I was eyeballing those peaks with the big rock slabs to the west of Canyon Crk Lake. I think the best access to the rock slabs and that mountain ridge to the west is from the logging landing in that steep clearcut shown in your photo captioned "Canyon Lake as seen from near point 4876. 5.20.06". I'd like to get up to those big rocks pictured below
but am unsure of the least time-consuming access route. At first, I thought the best access would be from the northwest side of Canyon Crk Lk where there's no bridge (
Quote:
only to discover that there is no bridge or any other way to get across. There was two new footings poured and I can only assume that a new bridge is soon to follow
) . There are 2 logs across the creek but they're a little upstream, closer to the lake and they're kind of bouncy. I get a kick out of the fresh rock fire ring directly under the "No Fires" sign just on the other side. Oh, some people! rolleyes.gif Atleast there's no garbage in it. However, after inspection during the drive out that's an unfeasible route. A different day I rode my bike up the Porter Creek Rd starting from the Middle Fork Nooksack side (TR at https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14131) , to see if I could access the rock slabs on the ridges from the south. Saw 2 bear on the way up!
It's many miles in from the south and did not make it all the way to the ridge so don't know if the road goes all the way up there.
However, it looks like there's a logging road that goes close to the rock slabs up on the ridge in the photo above. I just don't know how to get to that road. Maybe one can go in the way you accessed Pt 4876? So, I'm glad you posted that TR!

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue May 23, 2006 7:11 am 
Quote:
That reminds me of something I read on a chalk board in a mens bathroom once
Chalkboard in bathroom? Let's ban chalkboards first, then cell phones. hurl.gif Just say no to 24x7.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed May 24, 2006 10:41 am 
dog or person?
Quote:
a girlfreind or wife...Whew, I'm glad I re-read the report and now know that Crystal is a dog
Good thing he did not type that Crystal licked herself, went #2 along side of the trail, drooled down a pantleg or sniffed a stranger's crotch or a dog's rear end!

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin