Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bye bye Olympia Brewing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jan 10, 2003 9:36 pm 
As stated in another thread,
Quote:
After today's news, this is my last chance to say it's "Miller Time" in Olympia without incurring the wrath of the locals. So off I go.
Too bad the Olympia Brewery is closing. I wonder if it will become a Starbucks? Sounds like they will still sell Olympia beer. Anyone remember the following jingles? "Are there or aren't there artesians? Do you think one will ever be found?..." or "...It's the water-o, that makes Olympia! It's the water, and alot more!" Maybe I remember it becauses when we went on picnics at Denny Creek when I was little, my dad would always put a few cans to cool in the creek. Or maybe we just took someone else's cans out of the creek--my mind is fuzzy. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 12:20 pm 
My mom & dad would drink Oly if they couldn't find their favorite beer at the grocery store; Miller Hi Life-the "Champagne of Bottled Beers". My buddies and I were real juicers in high school (and out of high school) and we called Olympia "pisswater", but they did produce Mickey's Big Mouth, which had some bite and could get you buzzed PDQ. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Olympia brewery because after my dad's family moved here from Missouri in the middle 1930's, my grandfather worked for a time at that old brewery, and as a child my dad and his little brother would play in the woods around the brewery. Sometimes they would sneak into Ft. Lewis and see how far they could get before sentries challenged them. My dad is long gone but I look at the old brewery every time I drive past and think of him. I hope they don't tear it down.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 9:07 pm 
I have a sister who was born when I was in college. When she was 2 or 3, she picked up on the TV jingles and would frequently belt out "No beer on the bar is better than Oly."

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 9:31 pm 
Rich's story reminds me of this. Evidently when my mom was 2 or 3, there used to be a kind of beer you could get in Montana called Grainbelt that came in a large jug with a cork. Whenever her dad had a glass, he would give here a little sip. One day the family was on a picnic and she was sound asleep. Someone popped the cork and she opened her eyes and yelled "Grainbelt!"

salish

salish
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 7:02 am 
That's funny. Truly, out of the mouths of babes.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Grainbelt

Grainbelt
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 1:08 pm 
You can still ger it in Minnesota
You can still get Grainbelt in Minnesota, but it comes in regular bottles. I used to drink it when I visited my mom there. It's pretty good for a regional mass market brew . . . a heck of a lot better than Oly. Speaking of regional mass market brew, Harvey Manning and Ira Spring traded me and a couple teenage buddies one of their Rainier Ales (Green Death) for one of our Schmidt pounders (Animal Beer) on top of Tiger Mountain around 1980. They were sauteing onions and mushrooms on a Svea . . .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 1:11 pm 
I'm not much of a beer drinker, but there is a regional beer in Texas that's pretty good called Shiner Bock. It's similar in taste and color to Anchor Steam from San Francisco, but I liked Shiner better.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 2:28 pm 
I toured the Pyramid brewery down in Hood River last Friday. They of course are a much smaller operation than Miller or Oly was (50 employees vs. 400), but I wonder if someone their size could come in and occupy at least part of the site without bumping into the water quality issues that finally drove the macro producers away. I could never understand my friends preference for Oly when I was in college. If you watch some of Clint Eastwood's older movies, you'll see it featured as his favorite. Thank god they brewed Hamms as well or the hospitality room would not have been worth the time it took for the tour of the brewery!

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 6:22 pm 
It always amazed me how Oly stayed in business for as long as they did. I knew of very few that drank it. When I was in CA years ago some friends thought it was great. I wanted Coors instead. Must have had a market elsewere as I don't think it sold well in WA. And yes, it was pee water. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 7:55 pm 
Drank lots of Oly's in the late 1960s and early 70s <grin>. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com