Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mason Lake 6-9-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 pm 
Today Gigamike and I planned on going up to Bandera. We were hoping that the clouds would either lift or we would get above them. Unfortunately for us we were wrong on both accounts. The forest road leading to the trailhead was littered in potholes galore!! Thank god for Mike' Subaru, my Honda would have bottomed out many times. We got to the trailhead with two cars in the lot. As we went up the trail the clouds got thicker and thicker. As we approached the split for Mason Lake or Bandera we opted for the lake since we would have no view. As we got more into the clouds we started attracting water droplets on our heads. As we got to the 4800' highpoint I noticed the Ira Spring placard on the rock. I imagine the it has a great view looking south when there are no clouds lingering. It was a very nice memorial for someone who obviously loved the outdoors. We saw a little bit of stubborn snow along the trail on the way down to the lake, a few spots of it on the trail. We hadn't realized how close we were to lake until we looked up at the spillway and saw it. Talk about cloudy!!! The lake is about halfway thawed, from what we could tell with the fog. We snapped a few photos and headed down. It was a great hike on a day when not many people were out.
Mason Lake 014
Mason Lake 014
Mason Lake 013
Mason Lake 013
Mason Lake 006
Mason Lake 006
Mason Lake 008
Mason Lake 008
Mason Lake 010
Mason Lake 010
Mason Lake 003
Mason Lake 003

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 10, 2006 1:18 am 
Nice weather pics. Ive got to get back up there. It's been twenty years. Thanks.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Jun 10, 2006 6:20 am 
Thanks for the TR / pics. Mason Lake was THE very first lake I hiked into when I moved to the Northwest a bunch of years ago. Also, I wasn't aware of the Ira Spring placard memorializing a truly great guy. I spent most of a week with Ira on Mt. Rainier a bunch of years ago. What a nice nice person he was. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jun 10, 2006 7:16 am 
Ya got some pretty moody lookin photos the HikerBryan. up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Jun 10, 2006 1:27 pm 
I did Bandera on Wednesday and I made it down the road in my Corolla without bottoming out, although the potholes were indeed very bad. Cloud/fog conditions were also very similar.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jun 10, 2006 9:40 pm 
Thanks for the words about my pics smile.gif