Forum Index > Trip Reports > Slept through 44mag. shots at Navigation Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Feets-hert

Feets-hert
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:16 pm 
Just breaking into backpacking and having logged only about a half dozen hikes, my friend Connor finally talked me into doing an overnighter. After flip-flopping awhile being weary of the weather, we left Spokane for Priest Lake at around noon on Saturday. At around 2:30p, with my 3100ci daypack crammed full, we hit the trailhead at Upper Priest Lake. For the first 3 miles, the trail is extremely well groomed as you walk through a couple lush green meadows and pass the remains of an old cabin at about 1.5 miles in. There are two campsites on Navigation Trail, the first being Plowboy. Connor and I considered setting up camp here as we had been getting lightly rained on since we left the trailhead. Since 3 miles didn't seem hardly enough, we decided to brave the rain and continue along to the Navigation campground. After Plowboy, the trail becomes a little less kept, but still would normally be easily managed. On this particular trip however, it seemed as if the trail hadn't been serviced yet as Connor and I had to climb over or swing under a total of 69 fell trees through a one mile stretch of the trail.
After traversing this obstacle course, the trail gains about 250 or 300 feet before descending into the Navigation campground at 6 miles in. The three sites at Navigation cg have picnic tables, firepits, and vault toilets, and about a quarter mile down a northbound trail gets you to a pristine snowmelt creek. We quickly set up camp after gathering some firewood as at this point the light was beginning to fade. The rain was a light drizzle and the canopy at the site gave sufficient protection from the weather. After dinner and a small fire we called it a night, and I did what I would later deem to be a bit of a mistake and put in my earplugs before climbing into my borrowed syn-cat bag. In the morning I woke up to Connor, who has a penchant for crying wolf, slapping the side of my tent in disbelief that the two blasts from our camp neighbor's 44magnum had failed to wake me up, given that they were fired only about 50 feet from my tent. I quickly dismissed his claims as one of his many attempts at rattling my nerves until I peeked out of my tent to see him removing the safety clip from his bear mace.
A large adult, guessed to be around 350lb., cinnamon black bear had come into the camp and false charged one of our neighbors. They gave two warning shots in the bear's direction but he was unfazed as he quickly made shambles of their picnic table and breakfast, rustled through a tent, and fumbled with their kayaks. Everyone was in a bit of disbelief as the bear paid no mind to his onlookers as he almost comically helped himself to whatever was available. Connor was able to get some great pictures of the bear while trying to maintain a reasonably safe distance. For Connor however, this was as little as 15 feet at one point.
After about 20 minutes, the bear decided he'd had enough and made his way back into the woods. Everyone at camp decided it was time to go, and all began packing up. Connor and I were the last to leave, and I thought I'd use the facilities quickly before we headed out. As I walked toward the area the bear had been in, I heard a low grunt and a shuffle in the brush not more than 10 to 15 feet away. I turned around and told Connor that the bear wasn't quite through, and with a little extra hitch in our giddyup, we made the 6 miles back to the trailhead at Beaver Creek cg. I feel fortunate to have experienced so much on my first overnight trip and although there were a few tense moments, I can't wait to get out again.

Muh feets hert, but I keeps on mashin.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:30 pm 
Nice TR. I did this overnight last year in May or so, but it was not nearly as exciting. We saw a few deer, but that was it. Connor, lucky sob, took some nice pictures.

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:31 pm 
Great bear pics! Sounds like quite an adventure. Would a 44 magnum kill a bear like that or just seriously piss it off? I'm thinking they might have been able to take it down if they'd wanted to and, judging from its lack of fear of man (which it's obviously decided is a great source of tasty food), that might have been a better decision.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
greg

greg
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:39 pm 
DHM, a .44 mag would stop that bear like a bad habit...and yep, a bear eatin' people food is not a good thing.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:41 pm 
44 mag would kill a black bear if hit in the right spot.. but who can really aim when being charged.. not I. Great TR and really great bear pics up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:45 pm 
I'm talking about after he charged and started getting into breakfast. Personally threatening me bodily harm? Pfffft...that's one thing. But eating my breakfast in front of me? That'd *really* piss me off. (I go cuckoo for my Cocoa Puffs. guns.gif ) Heck, if you carried the weight that far, why wouldn't you be willing to use it?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
greg

greg
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 12:52 pm 
It would piss me off too, but discretion is the better part of valor, and I think the guy with the piece made the right decision. The bear was only doing what bears (and I guess DHM clown.gif ) like to do -- eat -- so its hard to blame the critter. I hope someone alerted the appropriate authorities though, they might be able to relocate that bear far far away from peeps.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 1:13 pm 
awesome bear photos - in particular the first one with the shiny eyes. 'good morning campers!!!' glad to hear you are all ok. too bad guns had to be used to shoo the critter away - I predict bad tidings for the bruin if the feds catch up to him...

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 1:33 pm 
.44 would kill the bear from internal bleeding but it would still have time to attack IMO.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 3:04 pm 
Tremendous second photo of the bear, great bokeh...too bad it was under unfortunate circumstances. Seawallrunner's right...FS doesn't like human habituated bears and it seems this one's got campers and their picnics dialed in for easy grubbins. I actually saw my first bears ever (two together) about 15 years ago on the trail to Upper Priest Lake on a mountain bike. Nice place and lots of bears. Grizzlies too.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 3:39 pm 
actionbetty wrote:
44 mag would kill a black bear if hit in the right spot.. but who can really aim when being charged.. not I. Great TR and really great bear pics up.gif
Greg's point is more accurate than AB's. Hit that black bear anywhere with a super hard cast 300 grain .44 magnum bullet and it's going to slow it down enough for another shot. If not stop it outright. We are talking black bear here, not brown. That said, I'm glad he didn't shoot him too.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 3:46 pm 
That second shot is absolutely gorgeous!

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Feets-hert

Feets-hert
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 3:49 pm 
Authorities were notified...
The bear I'm sure will be moved or dealt with soon, as authorities were notified. Thanks for the replies. I should say again that the two bear pictures were taken by Connor. He'd be all upset if he thought I was taking credit for his pictures.

Muh feets hert, but I keeps on mashin.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 3:54 pm 
does Connor have any more shots? these bear shots are awesome. do you have a link perhaps?

gigamike
The Burninator

gigamike
The Burninator
PostTue Jun 13, 2006 4:07 pm 
Great pictures of the bear! Glad you were ok.