Forum Index > Trip Reports > Artist Point 1/11/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostSun Jan 12, 2003 7:38 pm 
Had a great time snowshoeing up to Artist Point this Saturday. With a cloudy sky and everpresent wind it was nice that the episodes of snow went as fast as they came. Decent views of Shuksan, Sefrit, Goat, and Tomyhoi, but everything else was in the clouds. I know it's only takes 1 1/2 hours to get up there from the parking lot of the Mt. Baker Ski area, but we decided to practice a bunch of stuff along the way. With ample time, it gave the opportunity to practice digging emergency shelters of tree wells and trench shelters in wind cirques. I was amazed, that with the way the snowpack was it only took me 15 minutes to dig a trench shelter that I could comfortable spend the night in. We also had time and energy to practice our snowpack analysis and compare the Roushblock test and the shovel shear test, along with avalanche beacon exercises. This is a very scenic area anytime of the year but in the winter, without the crowds of tourist being able to drive up to Artist Point, it has its own peaceful and scenic splendor.

Ever Upwards
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message