Forum Index > Trip Reports > Earl Peak, Bean Peak, Volcanic Neck - 6.17.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Jun 18, 2006 5:40 pm 
Trailhead: Drive the North Fork Teanaway road approximately 3.5 miles beyond the 29 Pines campground… turn right just before a bridge crossing and reach the road’s end in less than a mile. Starting on the Beverly Creek trail (1391) we found the Bean Creek trail (1391.1) in a half-mile... in less than a quarter-mile the trail crosses Bean Creek… with gaiters you can easily bully your way across… without gaiters it’s a bit more challenging to keep dry feet… traveling on the west side of Bean Creek for another 1.5 miles brought us to another trail junction… we turned right, recrossed the stream and continued on trail 1391.1 for another mile to a pass at 6200 feet where we left the trail and headed north for a half-mile to the Earl Peak summit (7036 feet). From Earl’s summit we continued on the northwestern ridge leading over to Bean Peak… there were some ups and downs on this ridge with some Class 2 work in the final 300 feet of elevation gain leading to the Bean Peak summit (6743 feet). From Bean’s summit we continued north for a half-mile to the base of the Volcanic Neck… we proceeded around the southeastern side of the Neck on obvious boot path and found what appeared to be the well-traveled route leading to the top of the Neck… after perhaps a third of the way to the top we said no mas and went back down… kudos to JimK for getting to within 12 feet of the Neck’s summit last year… and even more kudos to anyone who has actually been on the top of this thing… at a minimum it is Class 3 on some of the worst (very crumbly) rock I’ve been around. From the Volcanic Neck we retraced our steps back to Bean’s summit and then dropped into Bean Creek Basin where we found the trail leading us to the spot where we crossed the creek to get to Earl Peak… from here the scent of beer made the last two miles back to the car go very quickly. 9.5 miles roundtrip… gaining 4802 feet of elevation. rodman's GPS route and pictures ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm 
Kudos to Rodman. He consistently does the most informative hiking/mountaineering/scrambling pics of anybody I know. agree.gif Everybody takes pics that make me think, "Gee, I'd like to go there". But Rodman's pics help me make decisions about whether or not I should try it. Thanks. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
JimK

JimK
PostSun Jun 18, 2006 7:52 pm 
Nice to know I'm not the only one who does not like that crumbly gully. I noticed there were no photos of the basin. How much snow is left in the lower and upper basins? Are any flowers out yet?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Jun 18, 2006 8:06 pm 
Scrooge... I know that rodman appreciates your comments... JimK... Bean Creek Basin is basically melted out... for the most part, the only remaining snow in the Teanaway seems to be on the east and north facing slopes.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Jun 18, 2006 11:07 pm 
Jim... I missed your flower question when responding to you earlier... Glacier lilies are starting to show in the basin... from previous trips to that basin at a later time in the year I remember lots of different flowers that aren't showing yet this year... perhaps another 10 to 14 days for peak flower conditions?

rodman

rodman
PostMon Jun 19, 2006 10:50 am 
Hi JimK, Ragman pics covered the moutains, here are a few of the flowers I got pics of plus a rabbit!
Sky Pilot???
Sky Pilot???
Shootingstars
Shootingstars
Davidsons Penstemon
Davidsons Penstemon
CALYPSO-Fairyslipper-b
CALYPSO-Fairyslipper-b
CALYPSO-Fairyslipper-a
CALYPSO-Fairyslipper-a
Alpine-Spring-Beauty
Alpine-Spring-Beauty