Forum Index > Trail Talk > Granite Falls Meth Labs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 2:27 pm 
Granite Falls is one of the subject write-ups in the January issue of Rolling Stone in an article entitlted "Crystal Meth, America's Home-Cooked Death Trip". Has anyone else read this? Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 8:30 pm 
Meth labs in Granite? Wonders never cease! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Karen

Karen
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 9:22 pm 
Guess I'm naive
I've been around the block a few times but for some reason (aside from vandalism) I just never associated Granite Falls (near Pilchuck!!) as meth territory. It doesn't compute for me, I guess. Though I guess it should. After all human beings are everywhere with their strengths and their weaknesses, their addictions and their dreams. But wouldn't you think living there would be enough of a high? Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
mvs

mvs
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 10:36 pm 
not really
It rains too much there. And the mountain loop area is a peculiar kind of wilderness. Dark and damp. A little creepy. (Apologies to McPilchuck).

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 12:56 am 
Somehow this really doesn't surprise me. I've seen some pretty sorry looking places in Granite Falls, especially in the area just across the bridge from the actual falls where there are "private" communities, some of which appear to consist of very large ice fishing shacks (or something thereabouts).

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 4:48 am 
I live closeer to Lake Stevens and have never felt comfortable in Granite. I doesn't surprise me a bit. It's a out of the wayplace. No more logging going on. It is a dark, damp area especially compared to around Index (my kinda place). To me it's a pretty tough town so to speak. Always had a rep for being a redneck town and lots of drinkin. This also may account for the high number of TH breakins too. I am surprised it made Rolling Stone. Heard that Snohomish was mentioned too. That wouldn't surprise me either. Used to be a real good coke town. If this is so, they probably just moved on to earier money. Sad All just my opinion tho. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 7:58 am 
Hey-don't discount the Yakima Valley as Meth Lab country-one of the biggest toxic dumps of whatever you make this crap with was found last year in the Ahtanum about 20 miles west of Yakima. Back in the day when I lived in Western Wa Granite had an outstanding rep for drugs.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 8:38 am 

catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 9:33 am 
This is sad and scary. I just don't get it. frown.gif

Old Crank

Old Crank
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 9:53 am 
Whats the problem, after all Schrub gives the same stuff to our fighter pilots moon.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 1:10 pm 
The US military has used speed in various forms since the 40's. This means every administration since then, my friend. So while techincally your assertion is correct, lets make sure it's inclusive enough to place *all* administrations in context.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 6:19 pm 
Either legalize drugs, (the hypocrocy of legal alcohol and illegal drugs) or give the death penalty to those caught dealing! The current system is NOT WORKING! Malaysia has NO drug problem! They kill anyone found in possesion of drugs! I'm not saying that I want to live in Malaysia, but the system works! If you really want to get rid of drugs, then bloody well act like it! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 7:39 pm 
Right, but who wants to be like Malaysia? I think Rhig Lee says in this thread that chewing gum and hiking in Singapore is difficult. I don't think he ever submitted another post after that. I hope he is ok...and free. wink.gif Locking people up is expensive and doesn't address the roots of the problem. I think we need to explore why people end up taking the meth route instead of living a normal life. Hmmm....a normal life, is there such a thing? Good thing there is so much variety and too bad some people ruin their chance to contribute to the variety by becoming dependant on meth which seems to be a terrible drug. It may have been bad choices (who doesn't make a few of those?) and also the lack of help from people that could have helped them, possibly you and me. Every person has so much potential that even having one person waste it away in prison is pretty tragic.

Odonata

Odonata
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 7:57 pm 
Granite is in an odd position right now. Meth labs and gated communities co-existing. I've got a soft spot for Granite, growing up in Arlington/sisco hieghts area. Hickiod hide aways like this are vaporizing in this age of gentrification. I bet the two major pastimes are still drinking and turning a wrench. I'm certainly not in favor of meth labs, don't want the loop hwy to look like the middle fork. But Granite has always had a little of the wild side in it. Rather see it untamed than have it share the fate of roslyn/salmon la sac.

Rhig Lee

Rhig Lee
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 8:19 pm 
Thanks for asking Pbear. Actually I'm in the slammer right now for receiving a pack of gum from a friend in Australia. My wife has been able to kaens em ni a kcap fo tnimelbuoD in her once a year conjugal visits that she is allowed, so I still get to chew. We get to use the internet which is ok, but at this point I've hiked about every place I can shakehead.gif I think I may be able to escape by chewing all my sticks of gum and stringing them together. I have a twenty foot gum rope but need 40 feet...when my wife visits next November...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster