Forum Index > Trail Talk > More Pilchuck Passion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 8:32 pm 
...sometimes a man's passion for a mountain flows deep within his veins and resides in his heart. http://www.alpinequest.com/pilchuckpassion.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
smmslt
Prominencian

smmslt
Prominencian
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 12:18 am 
50th anniversary hike
I can't say that I share the same passion for Pilchuck, but I do have a story about it. When I was 4 years old (1951) my dad took a bunch of folks from Wenatchee across Stevens Pass to hike up Pilchuck. I don't know how many there were, but I will never forget that I was the 4th to the top. The euphoria was short-lived, however, as I petered out real bad and rode on dad's shoulders for most of the way down, the first I was aware of a life-long struggle with my downhill muscles. Anyway, in the summer of 2001 I called my dad and asked him if he'd like to do a 50th anniversary return trip to the top of Pilchuck. He was then 86. He said he'd love to do it, so we met at the TH and hiked it together. I loaned him a pair of trekking poles (he'd never used them) and he was immediately sold on them. He did extremely well as he has kept in fantastic shape all his life. Thought you might enjoy...
Dad and me in the cabin atop Pilchuck.
Dad and me in the cabin atop Pilchuck.

PostWed Jan 15, 2003 9:06 am 
I thought I recognized the avatar used by smmslt. I'm sure many of you have seen his pics, but if you want to see some really nice shots of one of your favorite mountain ranges, viisit the link in his profile. up.gif up.gif

JimK

JimK
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 9:23 am 
I find that to be an inspiring story. I really hope I can make it up Pilchuck more than 40 years from now when I'm 86. Heck, I hope I make it to 86.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 10:01 am 
I have been up Pilchuck. Once. Never to return again. My friend wanted to go up and see what the "north side" looked like to get to the hut. Being ignorant at that time, I said yes. We went up horrendous little trees and little cliffs without rope directly to the hut on the north side while it was raining in the early spring. I recommend you take the trail.

Art is an adventure.

PostWed Jan 15, 2003 10:30 am 
Like anywhere, in bad weather it is easy to get off route and end up in cliffy areas, etc. But the north routes, starting straight up from the parking lot, through the old ski area can be quite fun. Whether you swing around the left (east) side gulley or up a couple snow ramps that lead to the west summit ridge, it is very doable. I would never take the trail route if the mountain is snow covered. McPil?

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 11:15 pm 
smmslt...a great read, the kind that touches the heart! I seem to have read this short story once before somewhere? At any rate, we may have to put this up in the Guest Verse section of AlpineQuest? What you think? Pappy, you are right, the North Face route up from the parking landing is the best way to go, tho steep in sections. Is recommended when there has been a good amount of snow pack as last year. I don't much care for the trail and rarely do I go up at all in the summer anymore. As late as about 1985 one could still go up there on a summer weekend and still be alone, well almost. But I do remember spending 2 nights during the summer of 1983 with a girlfriend up there, and not seeing another soul until we came back down...also remember a spectacular sunset with cloud filled valleys and drinking some red wine amongst other things. McPil

smmslt
Prominencian

smmslt
Prominencian
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 11:56 pm 
Thanks for your comments folks. McPil, I wouldn't mind if you put it on AlpineQuest. I also have more photos from that day if you'd like them too. Should I send them to you? What pixel resolution do you prefer?

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Jan 16, 2003 6:59 am 
Neat story. Bob, why don't you just post more of those pics at your site. I've copied the pic of the two of you and will refer to it from time to time as inspiration. It is my next goal, to hike Pilchuck again but wait until I'm 86 to do it (just around the corner it seems). The last time I went up Pilchuck was back in the 60's when I lived in Seattle. Glad to have you on board as a member of this fine group. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Jan 17, 2003 1:14 pm 
Hey Bob, you can now find your Pilchuck read at: http://www.AlpineQuest.com/pilchuckreunion.htm thanks much for the nice story, hope you like the HTML work I did on it. McPil

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Jan 18, 2003 11:39 am 
McPilchuck, for some reason the pic isn't showing (Bob's photo) All I'm getting is a blank frame with a red x in it. confused.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jan 18, 2003 12:33 pm 
Could be your browser? As has been pointed out by a few people. Seems some are able to see the photo while others can't. so, I did resize it and change the name of the jpeg so it would route its target differently. McPil (it should come up, never had any problem before with jpgs from the site not downloading, at least that I recall anyone having a problem with unless of course a photo is too large and takes forever to download, should not be the case here) PS. also I have tested the jpg as follows and there is no problem with it coming up directly: http://www.alpinequest.com/bolton.jpg

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 18, 2003 12:54 pm 
No dice here either. I tested it with 3 different browsers. Mozilla came back with the following message: The image “http://www.alpinequest.com/pilchuck50.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. I'd re-size from the original and re-upload it.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jan 18, 2003 10:30 pm 
Thanks Tom, the photo was resized again and resent and according to a few friends, it is downloading for them so it should be up and running. I have no idea as to why the previous ones didn't come thru for some people while other said it came up on their PC. Could have been browers but I don't know. Anyway it should be good now? McPil

One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 12:41 am 
Winter time on Pilchuck
I am new to the Northwest, and have until only recently heard of Pilchuck. I hear it is great, and a beautiful place in the summer. Is it reachable in the winter? If so, what does it require?