Forum Index > Trail Talk > Natapoc Mtn
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 8:09 am 
Can anyone tell me if there is a trail or good route up to Natapoc Mountain The topo doesn't indicate a trail but I'd like to avoid a brushfest if possible. It looks like a decent line would be from Coles Corner but I'm hoping someone here will know this mountain and the best way to do it. Thanks.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 8:17 am 
I thought there was actually a gated road up to the top to access a microwave tower. I could be wrong (won't be the first time. huh.gif )

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
greg

greg
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 8:26 am 
Dean, there are trails all over Natapoc, used mostly by local horseriders, but you can drive all the way to the top on logging roads via River Road. FS has been logging and thinning heavily up there in the last two years. I went 'shrooming up on Natapoc last month, but don't know about approaches from the Coles Corner side.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 am 
Thanks guys, that helps. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 10:53 am 
Um...there are no roads to the top of Natapoc. They come somewhat close...but not to the top. I have been there. There are trails around there too, but none to the top that I recall.

Art is an adventure.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 11:08 am 
It works as a snowshoe trip.

greg

greg
PostThu Jun 22, 2006 11:10 am 
I stand corrected. There are roads all over the top of Natapoc Ridge, but not to the top of Natapoc Mountain (4,204).

aestivate

aestivate
PostFri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 pm 
CscdHkr (Dean) wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is a trail or good route up to Natapoc Mountain The topo doesn't indicate a trail but I'd like to avoid a brushfest if possible. It looks like a decent line would be from Coles Corner but I'm hoping someone here will know this mountain and the best way to do it. Thanks.
I have walked up it from the N, from the power line. In the woods all the way until you hit the ridgeline. No trail, easy. The open ridges to the S are much more scenic, if a little lower.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Jun 24, 2006 9:24 pm 
Well, Bob (smmslt) and I did Natapoc today. We parked on a road on the east side near a gated road (locked) at 2200 feet that serviced the powerlines and walked up to the 2900 foot level where we went cross country (nasty) up to the ridge on the northside. Near the top we found a trail that was coming up the ridge from the north and we happily followed it down when we left the summit. Some outstanding views of Glacier Peak and other peaks showing a lot of snow is still present on the peaks to the west. A hot day for sure but Natapoc was a treasure trove of Lupine flowers which were everywhere and filled the air with their wonderful scent. Thanks to all who offered information on this peak. up.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 7:33 am 
Since I've received a query as to the way we went, I made up this map thanks to National Geographic's Topo program.
Natapoc
Natapoc
We were winging it as I had left my maps elsewhere since I thought we were doing Dirtyface that day. Using the Benchmark Mapbook, we came in from the Plain to Leavenworth highway (#209) by taking River Road exit. Just before crossing under the powerlines, there is a service road and we went up it to a closed gate we found (marked as TH). We walked the road up past the gate following the power line service roads until we found our way to about the 2900 foot mark where we went cross country to a point just north of the summit on the north ridge. The cross country route was slow and tedious due to the amount of brush and downed junk we had to work our way around. When we reached the ridgeline, to the north of the summit, we found a trail that extended from the summit to the powerline, following the ridgeline and we took it back, even though it was longer but a heck of alot better than going back down the mountainside and all that junk we made our way up through. In getting back home, I could see on this map that there was a better way to get up to the ridgeline from the road and I have the coordinates marked as 001 (DD DDD nad 27) as 47.76042 120.69538 and I certainly try that way if I were to do this peak again. Elevation was 2600 at that point and we would have saved probably a couple miles plus 400 feet of elevation gain on a hot day. As it was, we probably hiked 6 miles or so and had an elevation gain of 2100 feet. Not a big deal but I would have preferred a more alpine setting considering the heat of the day. This was an interesting area and made me appreciate that there are tons of places that are worthwhile to visit. Natapoc is one of Washingtons prominence peaks and comes in at #120 on a list that I hope to make a huge dent on as the years go by. I have a ways to go but I'm finding that every one is a little mini adventure and fun in its own way. I enjoyed the great views towards Glacier Peak and the other mountains that are visible from up there as well as the tremendous display of Lupines.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 8:40 am 
Years ago I parked under the railroad overpass that crosses Hwy. 2 a short ways past Coles Corner. On the north side of the highway you will see a pullout that allows you to park off the highway. It is quite brushy but head up the ridge a short ways until you break out of the brush and scramble up to the saddle. If you head to your left slightly as you start through the brush you should be able to get into the open quickly. Once at the top of the ridge remember the starting point of your hike as you don't want to miss the way back down. From the saddle I headed to my left, probably a northwest direction but I don't have my map with me to verify that. Use the drop off of the ridge on your right as a handrail going up. Soon you will meet up with an old logging road and use that as a trail as you hike up. It is relatively easy hiking and you should be able to get glimpses of Natapoc as you figure out your way up. I have hiked up into this area twice but it has been a few years. It was quite a surprise to run into an old road as none of the maps I have show it. It is probably atleast 40-50 years old. It makes for a fun scramble and really is not that brushy.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 10:06 am 
Correction - Right when you start up, after you leave your car, head a little to your right as you work your way up the brush. You will come to a steep open area very soon that you can hike up to the saddle. It takes only about 5-10 minutes of brush work to get to the steep open area.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 6:19 am 
Steve, I had considered a route very similar to what you have described originally. If I were to do this one again, your way might be the way I'd like to try. The summit of this peak is totally forested, and here's a couple pics from the trail on the north ridge.
Natapoc Mtn from the north ridge trail
Natapoc Mtn from the north ridge trail
The trail on the north ridge
The trail on the north ridge

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Oct 26, 2006 10:35 pm 
Just a couple of quick tips for anyone who might do this peak someday after today's outing: 1)If you look at the map the easy way to do this peak appeared to me to go the way Dean suggested via that 2600 ft junction to the North of the powerline road. In reality, I never found the road from Road 6601 and wound up coming in from a bit farther NE. I did try that path on the way back and would recommend against it. I wound up walking next to the road as there was more underbrush on the road than in the forest itself for most of the way. If you do wish to take this road look for a pink flag on the left side of the road right in a spot where the road bends to the right. You will not see the road even if you are five feet from it. Just walk into the forest and look for the flatest ground and follow the flat grade. The whole area to the North area is laced with abandoned roads, some appear to have been abandoned quite a while ago. I didn't follow the powerline road the whole way down but it was in real good shape from the ridgeline down to where I veered off. Combine that with a good trail heading South from where the powerlines gain the ridge and this is the easiest way to do the peak I suspect. 2)Having said that, zzzzzzzzzzzzzt powerlines are not much fun. I'd do this in winter and take a direct line in the snow if I were to do it again. 3)For what it is worth, my GPS claimed that the Southern 4200+ summit was about 15 feet higher than the 4204 Northern summit. Too forested to see either summit from the other. Marginal bootpath but easy open forest between the two.