Forum Index > Trip Reports > Treen Peak & East Garfield
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 3:00 am 
June 23, 2006 Destination: Treen Peak and East Garfield (5480+) Finally, I made it up the Middle Fork. The weather was just perfect for a trip to this area. After driving up the Middle Fork Road, I turned off and began the drive up the road to Dingford. The road is not in the greatest shape, and I had to drive slowly in my Honda. I parked at a pullout 4.1 miles after the turn off to Dingford, and then walked about a 1/3 mile to the creek that drains out of Green View Lake. I backtracked about 400-500ft where I spotted the trail that goes up Green View Ridge. The trail was pretty easy to follow. Around 3400, a guess, there was a pink flag, and the trail splits. I went up the left trail that continues up the ridge crest. This section of the trail is faint in a few places. It was nice after about two hours from the car to finally reach the ridge top at 4800 and have the first nice views of the day. I then continued on the ridge to little, frozen lake 4662 where I finally encountered my first snow. Most of the way to the summit would now be on snow. From the lake I dropped down to Upper Garfield Lake and then headed up to Charlie Brown. I then aimed for a saddle/notch on the east side of the summit. At the flattish basin around 4900ft I headed northwest crossing the basin and then made my way to the summit from the south. I was very glad I had started my trip early in the day since most of the trip to the summit was in the shade and coolness of morning. The summit is not particularly great, but the views sure are. Numerous lakes and peaks surround you. Otter Falls is also pretty neat. I lounged around for a while and then made the descent back to Upper Garfield Lake. I had plenty of time left, and my goal was now to head for the summit of East Garfield. From the lake, I made my way to the saddle at 4720+ on the east ridge. Upon reaching the saddle the scrambling begins up the ridge. There is quite a lot of scrambling. For the most part it is pretty easy and nothing was harder than third class. On my way up the ridge I saw a mtn goat. The summit had some great views, especially, of the impressive main Garfield Mtn, and it’s surrounding high points. Hopefully, some day I may also enjoy it’s summit. I lounged for a while and then made my descent. From the saddle(4720+) I decided to drop and traverse on the north side of the ridge and regained it at the 4640+ saddle. I then made my way back along ridge and was soon at lake 4662. I picked up my trail from earlier and was soon at the 4800 ridge pt and beginning the drop to the valley floor. The trail is bit hard to follow here. After dropping down a bit I felt I had better pull out the compass to make sure I was headed in the right direction. Yep, sure enough I was heading down a little to far to the west, what a terrible mistake that would have been. Using the compass I headed due south and was soon back on track. My knees felt the steepness of the trail on the way down, and I was sure glad when I finally reached the road. I was also pretty glad to make it out just before sunset. In spite of being pretty tired at the days end, this trip was well worth the effort. It was truly a great day out in the mountains. Notes: Trip Time 14.5hrs. I wasn’t in too big of a hurry. Car to Treen 4.75hrs, Upper Gar Lake to East Garfield 2.25hrs. Lakes still frozen over. Used the ice axe. Trekkin poles were nice to have along. Snow covered boulder fields are thawing out making for post-holing problems, not much of a problem today but in the future…???
rainier and east garfield
3 labels
rainier and east garfield
chair adams kaleetan rainier
7 labels
chair adams kaleetan rainier
otter falls2
otter falls2
complete falls
complete falls
glacier peak
glacier peak
chair and kaleetan
chair and kaleetan
east garfield from upper lake
east garfield from upper lake
lower garfield
lower garfield
garfield
garfield
gar2
gar2
middle fork
8 labels
middle fork
big snow to three queens?
big snow to three queens?
leaving, looking back at east garfield
leaving, looking back at east garfield
Treen2
Treen2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostWed Jun 28, 2006 7:39 am 
Wow, I am worn out just reading your report! Good job, nice pics. up.gif Are the skeeters out yet?

Life is short, hike hard...
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:07 am 
1k, no bugs.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:22 am 
Justus, I have to say I've been thinking about having you arrested for cruel and unusual punishment. You know I didn't have the time off to make this trip with you and then you go right ahead and produce the goods for all the world to see. Man it looks like you had a 10 star day for your trip. Good for you, you deserve to have some stellar trips after your Spring trip. Now you really got me stoked to get up there and get this one done. BTW, job well done. I really like the shot you took of Otter Falls. When I was up there 5.13.06 I took Crystal up to 2,700' where the two falls join to becomes one, it's very clear in your photo. There's a nice bowl up there for taking a dip, be warned tho, it's cold. Here's some shots looking back at ya.
Treen Peak as seen from Otter Falls at 2,700' 5.13.06.
Garfield Mtn. as seen from Otter Falls at 2,700' 5.13.06.
Garfield Mtn. as seen from Otter Falls at 2,700' 5.13.06.
Otter Falls at 2700' looking down into the valley. 5.13.06.
Otter Falls at 2700' looking down into the valley. 5.13.06.

Gil

Gil
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:42 am 
Looks like some beautiful spots! Some day ...

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:43 am 
Hey, NB I wish you could have joined me for the trip. I was such a nice day out. At least you have a long, boring report to get you up there though. Thanks for the return shots. Treen looks pretty from down there by the falls. I was surprised at how tall Otter Falls is. I'll have to visit them sometime.

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 am 
Nice pics, Justus S. The shot titled "chair adams kaleetan rainier" also shows a great perspective on Melakwa Pass, so I labeled the pic. Your trip reports are inspiring. agree.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 11:50 am 
Justus S. wrote:
otter falls2
otter falls2
complete falls
complete falls
Suppose you could email me the full size versions of these two? slobber.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 3:34 pm 
SlowWalker wrote:
Nice pics, Justus S. The shot titled "chair adams kaleetan rainier" also shows a great perspective on Melakwa Pass, so I labeled the pic.
Labels are fun. I added a few more.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 4:13 pm 
Nice pics. Nice report. Sorry to have to be the one to correct you, but it's Green Ridge lake. Not Green View lake. An otherwise steller performance.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 5:47 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Sorry to have to be the one correct you, but it's Green Ridge lake. Not Green View lake. An otherwise steller performance.
Freudian slip. I'm sure he's a lakebagger at heart. hockeygrin.gif

greg

greg
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 12:57 pm 
Justus, did you get a look at the aforementioned greenish lake, and if so, was it iced over or clear?

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 11:46 pm 
Thanks for the comments everyone and correction BPJ. As far as any green looking lakes I didn't get a glimpse. Nordrum still had snow if that helps.

greg

greg
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 7:01 am 
OK tnx Justus up.gif