Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker, 6/24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 6:00 pm 
Wonderful pictures... What a great way to spend your birthday.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 10:09 pm 
Quark wrote:
The class was via DKemp, who posts on this site, and occasionally offers invitiations to classes like navigation, mountain weather, etc.
Now hang on just a dang-gone minute there, Little Miss Missy Miss. huh.gif I dont exactly know why you're putting all the blame on me! Really, this thing is way bigger than me. What we got here is a club, and that course is a community project. So, whilst true that I am El Presidente por la vida y Grande Queso, the class was not via DKemp. It was via The Bushwhacker Climbing Club. tongue.gif smile.gif

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 10:22 pm 
Cool pics!!!! It sounds like you had a really great trip! So, dkemp, what kind of cheese are you exactly? Cheddar? Gouda? Petite basque? Manchego? Enquiring minds want to know clown.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 pm 
dkemp wrote:
Quark wrote:
The class was via DKemp,....
Now hang on just a dang-gone minute there, Little Miss Missy Miss. huh.gif What we got here is a club, and that course is a community project. So, whilst true that I am El Presidente por la vida y Grande Queso, the class was not via DKemp. It was via The Bushwhacker Climbing Club. tongue.gif smile.gif
...is this chide from the same El Presidente por la vida y Grande Queso who didn't bring a single advertising flyer to the standing-room-only Steve Matera slideshow at REI - sponsored by Bushwhackers Clumbing Club? I think that's the only time REI's ballroom was ever filled beyond capacity. embarassedlaugh.gif But I will say: I still can't believe the quality of instruction - all volunteers - people taking time off work, in order to climb Baker - again - with a bunch of newbies who can't even put their boots on the correct foot. "Hey, Boss, I'd like to take 2 precious days of my alloted 5 for the year to go out & herd cats on a glacier." Check this out: True story. Saturday morning, I put my boots on, only to discover I had put on not only my tentmate's boot on my left foot - it was her right boot that I put onto my left foot. Cinched the laces and everything. What a dumbass. I tried to keep it to myself, but it was too funny to contain. When stuff like that happens and I try to contain it, it's like my skillenton wants to jump outta my skin and dance around in a frenzy. I just can't keep it in.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 10:51 pm 
Quark wrote:
When stuff like that happens and I try to contain it, it's like my skillenton wants to jump outta my skin and dance around in a frenzy. I just can't keep it in.
When you hear sweet syncopation And the music softly moans T'ain't no sin to take off your skin And dance around in your bones When it gets too hot for comfot And you can't get an ice cream cone T'ain't no sin to take off your skin And dance around your bones Just like those bamboo babies Down in the South Sea tropic zone T'ain't no sin to take off your skin And dance around your bones - Donaldson & Leslie

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 12:47 am 
Congratulations, Quark. I have an image in my room taken in the 80s on the baker summit which features a thick layer of clouds below stretching to infinity, it makes me want to be on the top every time I see it.

Gil

Gil
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 2:01 am 
Great TR and pics. And happy birthday!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 4:29 am 
Way to go Quark. Glad yo had a good time and with no mishaps. Nice photos to boot.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 9:17 am 
jenjen wrote:
So, dkemp, what kind of cheese are you exactly? Cheddar? Gouda? Petite basque? Manchego? Enquiring minds want to know clown.gif
Grande! Grande! rant.gif rant.gif wink.gif

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 am 
Quark wrote:
...is this chide from the same El Presidente por la vida y Grande Queso who didn't bring a single advertising flyer to the standing-room-only Steve Matera slideshow at REI - sponsored by Bushwhackers Clumbing Club? embarassedlaugh.gif
Er, uh, um.... doh.gif doh.gif Dat wuz me ya. dizzy.gif

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 7:04 pm 
The picture of the shadow of Baker on the clouds with the sun rising to your back is incredible; it looks like a windswept cloud. Very cool! cool.gif
Quark wrote:
because I rememver having the damn things in my hand and setting them aside crazy.gif It's vanity; all vanity (hey, that would make a good Bible verse; someone oughta spearhead that project). If I wasn't vain, I'd just wear specs and not have the lense problem.
Well count on me Quark! It's the first few verses of Ecclesiastes - the pessimist's view of reality (Sirach had the optimist's view).
Quote:
Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth, vanity of vanities! All things are vanity! What profit has man from all the labor which he toils at under the sun? One generation passes and another comes, but the world forever stays. The sun rises and the sun goes down; then it presses on to the place where it rises.
Qoheleth is Hebrew for "One who convokes an assembly." The book is about the fleeting nature of earthly pleasure and material things unless one were to return thanks to the Creator in recognition for all He has given us.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
mgd

mgd
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 7:21 pm 
It was once said that the sun never sets on the British Empire, but maybe that was a vanity, because now it does. What does that have to do with Baker, though? Well, Baker was named after
Quote:
Mount Baker was named on April 29, 1792, after British Third Lieutenant Joseph Baker, of the Captain George Vancouver expedition.
so maybe the sun doesn't set on the British Empire after all. Eh?