Forum Index > Trip Reports > Canoe Peak, 5706', USGS Grotto
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fred_Beavon

Fred_Beavon
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 3:05 pm 
Went up Canoe, #49 on the Front Court, in the much too hot weather yesterday via the Bare Mountain trail, going over Points 5310 and 5449 enroute. It's about an hour and a half drive up the North Fork Snoqualmie River Road from North Bend to the trailhead. After leaving the pleasant shade of the forest, all it seemed I was doing most of the day was aiming for a patch of shade then aiming for another patch of shade. 5449 had a cairn. 5310 didn't. I enjoyed the steepness and the cliffs on Canoe. Traversing below Canoe at first, I finally went straight up to the summit. On the descent, I followed the west ridge a bit first, then descended, making the descent less steep than the ascent. It was nice seeing a familiar name, Justus S., in the Canoe Peak register. I almost missed the register again as I did on Gove Peak. Paul Klenke told me Gove's register wasn't on the highest spot and since the highest spot was under snow, I didn't look anymore. On Canoe, I had my pack back on and was ready to descend when I took one last look and found it. Besides Justus S. on 9-5-05, Dave Walker signed in on 5-29-05. The zip lock plastic bag has some holes in it, but the paper in the Celestial Seasonings (I think that's what it said) metal container was still dry and should stay dry as I wrapped the pastic around the small container many times after putting the register back inside it. I threw a couple of more rocks on top of the register to halfheartedly make a cairn. As hot as it was I still prefer the heat over the rain that Stefan endured going up Lennox and Canoe recently. What a guy. I should've signed his name to the register too, but regretfully, I didn't think of that until after descending down off the cliffs of Canoe. I'll blame that memory lapse on the heat. On the return I went almost down to Bear Lake, then did a high traverse below 5310' until seeing the trail (barely) way down below. If I'd read Justus' day trip of Bare/Canoe/Lennox (Whew!) ahead of time, I would've looked for the way trail down from the lake. Stopping at the river crossing of Bear Creek to dump out all the debris in my boots and to dunk my bare feet in the creek while enjoying the shade and the breeze was refreshing. 60 seconds was all time I could keep my feet under the water before it became just too painful from the cold. Round trip time was 8:30 to 4. On the summit from 1 to 1:30. 6/27/06

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 5:21 pm 
Thanks for the report Fred. I have done Bear before( nice hike) but hope to return for its neighbors someday.

Ebrace life!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message