Forum Index > Trail Talk > Code of Ethics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 1:52 pm 
When I hiking, and you are coming down hill on a steep downhill, would you say that you have the "ride of way," or would the person coming up hill have this? Is there a right answer to this, or does it depend on the section of hill you are on? Any thoughts would be great! Please view my website @ www.geocities.com/steve_birds/ONE_DAY_WONDERS.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 2:09 pm 
QDW, I think it depends on the situation, but if it's a steep section of trail and I'm heading uphill, I'm usually out of breath so I'll happily stop and wait for the downhill party to pass, while I catch my breath.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 7:01 pm 
It looks like this question has come up elsewhere. I usually just step aside whether I'm going uphill or downhill. That keeps people from trying to remember which of the several conflicting things they read on the internet was the right thing to do lol.gif I notice if I'm carrying a larger pack than the others, they often step aside for me. If faster hikers are coming up behind me I step aside. If they are paramedics I step to the right. If it's a Spin Doctor, I step neither right nor left.

PostSun Jan 19, 2003 7:17 pm 
I couldn't agree more with both Salish and pbear. But, I'll bet Karen knows the "offical" protocol.

One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 7:23 pm 
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 7:34 pm 
I don't know!!!!!!!
I'm like you guys. I play it by ear. I always let horses have the right-of-way and I always step aside when I'm going uphill (to catch my breath but I also sometimes use my camera as an excuse to catch my breath). If someone is bearing down on me (or catching up to me) with a grim look of determination I will step aside because I assume that they are trying to set a record (or getting into condition or maybe they're just not friendly). Often what I do when I hear hikers coming or going I'll stop at the end of a switchback and turn my back on them and occupy myself with my boots or my pack. Sometimes I just don't feel like talking. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
C Dog

C Dog
PostSun Jan 19, 2003 10:36 pm 
NOTE TO DOWNHILL PARTIES: Please stop telling me "you're almost there" when I'm nowhere near it. wink.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 1:10 am 
I'd say the down hillers have the right-of-way. Horses, hell the only reason they have the ROW is because they can stomp your butt! biggrin.gif Generally speaking, when I'm hiking alone, and I decide Im tired, I have the ROW over myself! biggrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 6:14 am 
For me it's like driving the back roads. Who has the biggest bulk, going the fastest and who can pull off the easiest. If you have an air of king/queen of the trail, I'm not so quick to yield. Once while returning down a trail I was struggling with my pack, stopped and was making some adjustments. A couple came charging at me, stopped and said *excuuuse meee*. With an attitude. I looked her in the eye and proceded to make my adjustments. I think someone mumbled the *b* word as they later went by. Generally it's me tho. Need to get my breath. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.

PostMon Jan 20, 2003 8:45 am 
Didn't mean to put Karen on the spot, just seems like I remember reading in Signpsot years ago what the "preferred" method of right of way is and thought she might know. For the most part, people I come accross are more than curteous.

Karen

Karen
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 9:58 am 
More thoughts on ROW (right-of-way)
This brings to mind another unpleasant subject (which has been discussed before on this forum, I believe) --- snowshoe tracks versus ski tracks. I'm not sure that one has ever been resolved but that's about the only situation I've ever been in where I've had conflict with anyone on the "trail". Once on a Boy Scout overnight snowshoe trip to Mazama Ridge on our way back to the Paradise Area parking area as we trudged uphill with our towering packs in new snow we met some skiers coming down. It was a game of chicken. They didn't budge and we didn't either. (There was one set of tracks). We figured since we were going uphill with heavy overnight packs that it would be easier for them to break trail returning to the parking lot than it would for us. It actually ended up in a shouting match. I think I gave the woman usage of the B-word. I seldom lose my temper when I'm in the mountains but that time I really lost it. Then, another time, on the Mountain Loop highway I got into another shouting match with skiers over who should have ROW (a guy on skis started it by yelling at our group). Snowshoeing has become more popular and I think both skiers and snowshoers are in general nicer about such situations than they were ten years ago. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 10:28 am 
If it is a blonde woman, I always give them the right of way on a trail. Not because of their lack of intelligence, but becuase I am attracted to blonde women. Giving them the right way allows me to appreciate the beauty around me.

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 10:30 am 
Regarding snowshoers and skiers. You can use each other's tracks--as long as they don't see you doing it!

Art is an adventure.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 11:00 am 
If I were to meet skiers coming down hill I would yield in fear that they may not be able to stop. Period. I would need the rest anyways. If there were enough room for them to go around me then I would keep my line. In any case tho, I would consider it a safety issue for everyone. I never shoe on ski tracks unless I have to unless it's a well defined path. My courtesy to them as I ski also. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostMon Jan 20, 2003 9:50 pm 
ROW
I like most others would give the ROW to the skier. I know from my own experience that if you asked me to stop going downhill on XC skies, you wouldn't be getting me to stop. If I did, I would be stopping on my butt. You it for a chance to adjust your back, smell the "roses," and catch you breath... Happy Trails.