Forum Index > Trip Reports > Navaho Pass / Peak 7223'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 10:22 pm 
Location : Teanaway area NE of Cle Elum off SR 97 Access : SR 97 > Teanaway Rd. >FR 9703 to Stafford Creek TH Guidebook : Navaho Pass ( 100 Classic Hikes in Washington ) Maps : GTM Mt. Stuart, Wa. and TOPO Washington custom Stats RT : 13 miles, 4600', 7.45 hr. The road conditions are good, bathroom at TH moon.gif . I started on the Stafford Creek trail at 0730 hr. knowing it would be a hot day and trying to get a head start as much as possible. Temp start was 60 / end 93. The trail starts out with a foresty feeling and pine smell along side the creek which cascades beside you at various distances for some four plus miles. There were some huge pine trees along the way and alot of lupine and phlox. There are several meadowy areas before intersecting with the Standup Creek trail at 4.8 miles. The initial TH elevation is 3100' and though you get spot views here and there, the forest opens up at around 5000' higher and drier up the drainage. The trail is a mix of dirt and pine needle along with ruts and rocks from horse traffic, but scenic with the creek, ridges, rock formations, flowers etc..., there are currently plenty of seasonal runs crossing the trail ,it continues on for what seems forever at a generally gentle grade. At around 5600' there is a large meadow, with some boggy areas followed by an open barren (area where not much of anything grows) the trail goes through the center of it up to Navaho Pass and the intersection of The County Line Trail. By the time I arrived here I had felt the heat for awhile and with the elevation gain was feeling spent. I followed the County Line Trail E for a short distance, saw a climbers path that is very steep in sections (only class 1-2), I would gain a 100' find shade and rest, then repeat, it's around 1200' / .75 miles or so from the pass to the summit. I encountered no snow the entire trip until I hit several small lingering snowfields on the way up to the summit. Once there the views were magnificent as others have reported, of the Teanaway Peaks, Stuart / Enchantment Peaks etc... and down into the Ingalls Creek drainage. A light wind was appreciated, I didn't stay any longer than to down some PB sandwich, trail mix, and a gatorade, the rocks were so hot along with the sun. The trip back was so loooong, or so it seemed. I saw no one the entire trip until the last three miles when I saw one backpacker going up to Navaho Pass and two other backpackers who appear to be setting up a tent along Stafford Creek. I was on autopilot for quite awhile from the heat and glad to see the truck. I did drink two gatorades and downed 5L of H20. I felt good, just tired. http://community.webshots.com/album/551751753NILbTa

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 10:43 pm 
Oh boy!!... your pictures are really going to hurt Trail Pair... they are the only two people in Washington State who haven't had good weather on the Navaho summit.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 am 
Looks like you had a great trip - lots of nice photos. Conditions have really changed there in the last month.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:36 am 
I knew it would be hot, but it was a weekday, also knew it would be clear skies, so after seeing Ragman and Rodmans pics from last year, and enjoying the Teanaway "experience" I decided to go for it. Very nice views. I would have welcomed a scattered cloud for some cover at times, but don't personally like getting up high, unless there are views to be had with a fair amount of certainty. The route along the way offers alot of entertainment to the senses. agree.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:48 am 
Man, you are killing me with those photos with clear skies and views from Navajo Peak!!! We just get clouds whe we go to Navajo mad.gif Great report!! cool.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:04 pm 
Trailpair, should have a couple days of views. You could spend the night at Stafford Creek and / or Navaho Pass and do Navaho and Three Brothers early hmmm.gif, I would like to do Three Brothers at some point, but think I would come in via Negro Creek Trail, though Falls Creek looks like a workout once Ingalls Creek lowers and there is a nice meadowy basin on Falls Creek.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 8:18 am 
What recovery? Sounds like you're back in full form.....Upper Negro Creek looked like a fascinating place to explore from Miller Peak. Can't tell from your pictures if you have a shot of that basin...Is 0199 Negro or Falls Creek? Negro would be a hard place to daytrip, considering all the access issues. Everytime I drive Hwy97 toward Blewett, I wonder about jumping Peshastin Creek and trying to follow the old road, maybe even haul a mountain bike in there.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 9:58 am 
Pic 199 would be the Falls Creek approach from Ingalls Creek putting you in the saddle between Navaho and Three Brothers. I have no real information on Negro Creek trail, there are a maze of roads W from Blewett. I may have read something in a guidebook under "Gold Creek Basin" that directs you in from Negro Creek. A car to car would be nice.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 am 
Here's a shot of Navajo and Upper Negro looking at the Falls Creek pass. When we looked across at Gold Creek we could even pick out the black hole of a mine opening and pile of tailings.
Navajo Peak from Miller Peak
Navajo Peak from Miller Peak

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 10:58 am 
Nice good dayhike..seems I missed out on this one. Thanks for the TR and Photos up.gif smile.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley