Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Coastal drilling bill
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
UGH

UGH
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 pm 
Today the House voted to allow oil and gas drilling in areas previously off limits. If it passes, the bill would allow coastal states to push the off-limits boundaries out to 100 miles. http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/2/1/80391312.html The article says that California certainly would vote to push the no-drilling boundary out to 100 miles. I assume the same for Oregon. What about Washington?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 4:35 pm 
Hopefully it applies to WA as well and we can begin the long process of increasing domestic production.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 5:30 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Hopefully it applies to WA as well and we can begin the long process of increasing domestic production.
I second that one. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
UGH

UGH
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 5:45 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
That's not my question. My question is whether you think it is a given that WA would vote to ban drilling out to 100 miles (like CA and OR), or whether the Greeds would make it more of a fight there.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 5:52 pm 
yes, it's a given WA would attempt to ban it I think. However, I'm not sure how far out state jurisdiction spreads, US federal law may trump it at that distance.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 5:52 pm 
UGH wrote:
That's not my question. My question is whether you think it is a given that WA would vote to ban drilling out to 100 miles (like CA and OR), or whether the Greeds would make it more of a fight there.
Hey, I like that name, the greeds. The greeds will probably make a last stand here but I think there are more greens than greeds. The greens versus the greeds. up.gif

UGH

UGH
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 6:01 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I'm not sure how far out state jurisdiction spreads, US federal law may trump it at that distance.
Click on the link and read the details. The House bill would give the states the right to ban drilling out to 100 miles.

UGH

UGH
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 6:05 pm 
SJ wrote:
Hey, I like that name, the greeds.
Yeah, I just thought of it.
SJ wrote:
The greeds will probably make a last stand here but I think there are more greens than greeds. The greens versus the greeds. up.gif
That's what I thought. But my impression is that WA isn't quite as Green as OR; thus the question. I also know there are a lot of Greeds in CA and they have plenty of power, but even Schwartzenegger opposes drilling so it's a given that you won't see oil rigs when you visit CA beaches. And you certainly won't see them off the beaches of Oregon.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 6:08 pm 
UGH wrote:
SJ wrote:
Hey, I like that name, the greeds.
Yeah, I just thought of it.
Well son, you did good, I think you just did the world a favor by inventing that name. I predict it will catch on like wildfire.
Quote:
That's what I thought. But my impression is that WA isn't quite as Green as OR; thus the question. I also know there are a lot of Greeds in CA and they have plenty of power, but even Schwartzenegger opposes drilling so it's a given that you won't see oil rigs when you visit CA beaches. And you certainly won't see them off the beaches of Oregon.
Definitely not as green as Oregon, the whole Northeast quarter of the state is full of Nazis. It could go either way here.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 6:29 pm 
Luckily the greens live in the costal statws, if WA can stop it it will. Has to be over 30 mi out anyway and I doubt if ther is muh out there anyhow. cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 7:09 pm 
Why bother wondering? Doesn't matter how much is where, if you won't let it be found or extracted.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 7:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Why bother wondering? Doesn't matter how much is where, if you won't let it be found or extracted.
Yeah, kinda like not knowing what is inside an egg until you crack it open rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 7:35 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Yeah, kinda like not knowing what is inside an egg until you crack it open rolleyes.gif
Oh come on Mal, do you drive a car or what. EVERYBODY benefits from being more oil independent.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 7:46 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
yeah, if the egg was 8000 miles in diameter, made of rock, and the crack was a hole was up to two entire feet in diameter. other than that, yes just like cracking an egg. sorta. I guess.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 7:47 pm 
Hey Joe, I will agree with you on what should happen to child molesters and trail head vandals the middle fork and mostly on guns but none of us get everything we want hockeygrin.gif