Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > new owners for private forestland in northwest WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSat Jul 01, 2006 9:55 am 
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/NEWS05/606230338&SearchID=73249267641141 says Sierra Pacific timber company bought forest timberlands from Crown Pacific. Sierra Pacific now owns timberland around Canyon Creek Lake in Whatcom County. (BTW a good place to hike, search for "Canyon Creek Lake" in Trip Reports) From what I've heard in the past, Sierra Pacific is a good company as timber companies go. They are in the business of growing trees as a crop and not growing wilderness or biodiversity just like I don't manage for those things in my backyard. I hope they're in it for the long haul and will not restrict non-motorized public access to their land. We should be grateful tht timber companies allow the public to go on their land. That's not the case in other regions of the US such as the South and parts of Maine where timber companies lease land to hunting clubs and restrict non-paying public.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Jul 01, 2006 1:44 pm 
A lot of NW timberland is being sold to investment consortiums. Not all of them welcome walkers. That "Fruit Growers" outfit (not sure of exact name ) that bought the Mt McDonald timberland put up signs that simply say "no trespassing".... period. I hiked up Mt McDonald (near maple valley) last year with no trouble, but this year I hear that the unfriendly folks along Courtney Street have taken to yelling at hikers/bikers trying to use the traditional trailhead, and put up some sort of chicken wire barrier at the gate as well. There goes one good local hike down the drain. But yes, most of the new owners like Hancock Forest Industries have been reasonable.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue Jul 11, 2006 8:18 pm 
timber co.s and public access
It could be worse and more widespread. It'll probably get worse as residential development and more people encroach on timberland. And there's not tradition of public access of privately-owned open space in the US like in the UK or Scandanavia.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostWed Jul 12, 2006 8:42 pm 
yew_betula wrote:
It could be worse and more widespread. It'll probably get worse as residential development and more people encroach on timberland. And there's not tradition of public access of privately-owned open space in the US like in the UK or Scandanavia.
There is a tradition of public access on private timberland in the PNW, but it's gotten more complicated in the last couple of decades. In the past, hunting was encouraged on these lands to help reduce the amount of animal damage to plantations. Many companies maintained campsites and picnic areas for public use. With increased illegal and damaging activities occuring on the industrial timberlands, as well as safety/liability concerns, more gates have gone up. It's easier and cheaper to tell everybody to keep out and that's what some owners, especially absentee owners, have resorted to. Fee access programs, with the exception of the Kapowsin Tree Farm, are not profitable. They don't even cover costs, but some large landowners recognize that there are public resources on their lands that they need to provide access to. My employer has allowed non-motorized access to their lands at all times, and limited vehicle access at others. When gates started going up in certain areas, a few citizens and their legislators made noise about a "deal" they thought they had cut with the Open Space Taxation Act in 1970. That act allowed property owners to have their open space, farm and agricultural, and timber lands (5 acres+) valued at their current use rather than their highest and best use. It was meant to "preserve or conserve open space for the use and enjoyment of natural resources and scenic beauty for the economic and social well-being of the state and its citizens". It didn't however address the rights or means of access by the public to these lands.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:38 am 
public access to private lands
Timber Cruiser: Thanks for telling us about the Open Space Taxation Act in 1970. That's a good idea for property to be valued at their current use rather than their highest and best use. Valuing at a highest and "best" use seems to promote development. After all, it'd be bad to pay taxes on a forestland based on its development potential if you want to maintain it as timberland land which may not be as profitable. The PNW seems to be an exception to other regions in the US. I have family in the South and mid-Atlantic states almost all the pine/oak timberlands there have No Trespassing signs. Sometimes the timber companies will let you on if you get written permission from them. The US's tradition of public access to private land is not as strong as in the UK or Scandanavian countries. For Norway: "The nation's open air, or allemansretten, act, passed in 1957, guarantees public access to wilderness areas even on private land from http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/travel/19norway.html?ex=1152936000&en=adc56af131fa1fcc&ei=5070 a good article. BTW,Boy, would it be great to go hiking in Norway! Looks like good terrain for ski touring. For the UK: " In 2004, the Countryside and Rights of Way Act (CRoW Act) was passed. This Act opens up even more privately owned land to public access and includes some areas with "Open Access" where you do not have to keep to the footpaths, but can roam where you like" from http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/hiking/introduction.htm. In the UK they hike through sheep pastures and places like that. It was a shame when Longview Fiber stopped some public access to their lands in western Clark County and Skamania County due to due to dumping, meth labs, ORV abuse, slob target shooters, 4WDers going around gates, etc..