Forum Index > Food & Grub > Food on the trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 8:57 pm 
obladi, www.justtomatoes.com sells freezedried tofu. Good stuff!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
obladi

obladi
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 10:03 pm 
That's a nice link for backpacking foods. Thanx Sarbar.

As you push off from the shore, won't you turn your head once more, to make your peace with everyone And for those who choose to stay, You'll live for one more day, to do the things you should have done. -Ian Anderson
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 10:20 pm 
add their freeze dried veggies and tofu to some boxed broth, and you've got a tasty, filling soup. alternatively, water and boullion, for the more versatile weight cost.

hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 10:39 pm 
I'm a diabetic and most of the above is not appropriate. Have to make many changes and adaptations and one day may write them down. Will check out the site to see what might be used. With this all in thought, I wonder if the typical hiking diet is even good for non-diabetics? Afterall, there once was a time when I wasn't a diabetic. (It was the chips though!)

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 10:54 pm 
mtnman wrote:
marylou. Ok is this really energy food or just food that will really kick my a$$ clown.gif . Dried egg? Take it easy on me. I'm a greenhorn!! thanks mtnman
Actually, the dried egg cooked in a baggie thing works really well for breakfast. I add reconstituted bell peppers and onions to mine and after it's cooked I pop it into a tortilla with some cheese and taco sauce. A backcountry egg burrito thing. up.gif As far as what specifically keeps your body running, that's something you'll have to figure out by trial and error. I used to think I just needed more sugar and quick energy. Actually, I tend to be hypoglycemic and really need protein at regular intervals during the day. When I "bonk" or feel my blood sugar crash, I need something with protein in it. That's just the way my body works. I also need to carry along gatorade or powerade or something similar to alternate with water during the day or I'll start to cramp up and feel lousy.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 11:00 pm 
jenjen wrote:
Actually, the dried egg cooked in a baggie thing works really well for breakfast. I add reconstituted bell peppers and onions to mine and after it's cooked I pop it into a tortilla with some cheese and taco sauce. A backcountry egg burrito thing. up.gif
I had this once, and I have to say it wasn't too bad, considering the circumstances

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 11:04 pm 
Well, good backpacking food is sort of a relative thing. Most of the meals I happily swallow in the backcountry wouldn't pass muster at home. Basically, if it's sort of edible in the comfort of my own house, it'll taste just awesome in the backcountry after a full day of hiking and sweating.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 04, 2006 6:37 am 
hikermike wrote:
I'm a diabetic and most of the above is not appropriate. Have to make many changes and adaptations and one day may write them down. Will check out the site to see what might be used. With this all in thought, I wonder if the typical hiking diet is even good for non-diabetics? Afterall, there once was a time when I wasn't a diabetic. (It was the chips though!)
Like you, I have diet issues..once you learn to do the intial adapting, it isn't so hard. I find I eat better these days and it is easier than before I had to a diet change. (I live on a very low sodium heart healthy diet). The typical "panic" diet (ie.."oh god! I am leaving for a trip in 6 hours! What will I eat?? Ooh! Top ramen and jerky!") isn't great but for a typical person, it won't kill them. I made this website as a secondary site to our FBC site when I got put on my diet. http://www.freewebs.com/healthytrailfood/ PS: For the soup mentioned in a couple posts above (freezedried tofu and veggies and broth-there are a number of low sodium and sodium free bullion broth powders on the market. Add in dried onion, garlic, parsley..some tiny Mexican pasta....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Jul 04, 2006 8:51 am 
I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, and hypoglycemic, so I feel your pain trying to find 'friendly' things to pack. I find, actually, that a number of the energy bars (if you search carefully) are high enough in fat and protein to not affect my blood sugar badly. (Of course, I realize it depends on how severe your particular case is.) Besides beef jerkey, I also like to take flax crackers. You can buy them at some stores (the ones I prefer to take I get at Whole Foods and have dried fruit, but are otherwise flax and sesame seeds with a bit of brown rice syrup) and they provide a lot of protein and fat. Or you can make your own out of nothing but flax seeds, water, and a touch of soy sauce if you want some saltiness. There is almost no carbs in that though, so you want to be aware of that for your energy levels during a hike. (There's also a LOT of fiber in that, so if you're not used to that, don't first start eating them on the trail. ;-) )

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 pm 
gaeger wrote:
SJ -- that's just a flat, Teflon-covered aluminum tray perched on rocks above an MSR Whisperlite. It's good for that sort of thing and pancakes and such. I wouldn't call it ultralight, but it's not too heavy. Freeze-dried: I actually like some of that stuff, but like Tazz I find it easy to OD on it. So what I usually do is carry something real for the first night. And a liter of wine to start the trip helps ease those next morning aches and pains!
Wow, I was gone for a couple of days and this thread had almost scrolled down to the second page. What's fun is going with a group of people and on the third day or so, after everyone has gotten sick of the freeze dried stuff, whip out a nice green pepper biggrin.gif The freeze dried stuff that I like are the packetrs of Minestrone soup from Knor. It's supposed to make something like two quarts, but if you make it in one of those big insulated mugs and then add olive oil it's pretty thick. I also like beef stroganoff with pasta when I get the REI dinners. I noticed the gas bottle in your pic after I asked about it and then I was wondering if you were using a one burner or two burner stove. I also have a whisperlight and could use a similar setup. Since seeing that picture made me think of an hibachi I started brainstorming about that idea. It wouldn't be too hard to have an aluminum pan that you could burn twigs in and have some brackets on it to hold another pan. That way you could have a fire and cook with free fuel but not make a burn mark on the ground. It would take a concentrated effort to keep feeding the fire at the correct rate but could work well in the right places.

hambone

hambone
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 1:52 pm 
Tasty Bites Indian food, actually from India, precooked in a pouch. Good stuff! Food doesn't need to be freeze dried, there are plenty of lightweight foods out there if you look. Cliff Bars are nice too, especially the ones with caffiene. Don't forget the herbs! smile.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 3:15 pm 
First of all, I've already given this plug in another thread, but again, I HIGHLY recommend Mary Jane's Farm Backcountry meals. They all happen to be vegetarian and organic -- I could care less about that stuff, the point is they are all DELICIOUS. I especially enjoy the Santa Fe Pasta and Kettle Chili, but I have yet to try anything that wasn't at least good. I never buy any other brands anymore. It's available at REI, but maybe once you try it, consider getting it in bulk on the website linked to above. It's MUCH cheaper, you just don't get the cook-in pouches. But that's no big deal, I "cook" the meals in a lexan plastic bowl and cover it with a plastic bag. As for everything else, my own take: I hate eating lunch in the middle of hiking -- eating significant food in the middle of exercise makes me nauseous. In addition to the freeze-dried meals, I take trail mix (mixed nuts and rainins), Clif Bars (my favorite because it's the only brand that's not really sweet or otherwise strong), and instant oatmeal for the morning. Yeah, sometimes I kinda have to force the oatmeal down, but I never have a strong apettite in the morning yet need the carbs for the impending hike. If you have a little extra weight to give, you don't need to bring dried egg -- you can actually bring EGGS! REI sells these yellow plastic egg holders, and they really work. The eggs do NOT break. And eggs in their natural shells (i.e., do NOT break them open into a container and carry that) keep for quite a long time without refrigeration. Last year, I ate fresh eggs every morning on a 4-day trip in August.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 8:14 pm 
mtnman wrote:
You all got some great ideas!! Thanks alot!! Is there one single thing that you can think of for a mid day snack that will really kick me in the a$$ to keep me fired up and motivated. Thanks alot mtnman
In my younger more carefree years I woulda suggested an eight ball of coke. clown.gif Spindy and I both like the little cans of fishies in spicy sauce. They are impervious to heat and cold, have zip tops, and replace lost sodium. I take the plastic wrap off, then tape a plastic fork to the top of the can. Instant energy, and brainy food too. agree.gif After eating, the fork secures the lid in the can for easy stowage.