Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking Solo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:35 am 
Well, that still seems to be inherent stupidity, not inherent to hiking in groups. But perhaps I'm expecting too much out of intelligent human beings. I will agree that having to do half of my hike-a-thon hikes solo was a learning experience that increased my awareness. And it would probably help if everyone was required to go on a few relatively lengthy hikes solo, where they had to rely only upon themselves, so that they could learn that awareness. But I do think that the added information in having another person around can be an important safety net IFF (that is, if and only if) used properly.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Helix

Helix
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:17 pm 
To Slugman
I posted this back on page 5 of this thread. I just want Slugman to Know that this Scenario is absolutely based on a real life situation that took place recently. The hiker in question did not die from the injuries suffered in the fall but instead died from a combination of loss of blood and exposure to freezing temps. If he had a partner with first aid training the death could have been prevented. I left out the when, where and who because I don't feel like a family member should have to rehash the event if they came across it. I have also seen many people who have been aided by a partner and ONLY been rescued alive because their partner saw to their survival needs whilst they were incapacitated and then after getting them set with shelter, hiked out for help. You make a good point about the dangers of group think. If you take a vote amongst a large party of people who don't know what they are doing you will end up with wrong decisions being made. The simple solution is don't vote and use your head. Thinking you are safer alone is just plain wrong headed!
Helix wrote:
Just so you don't think my reaction to solo hiking is knee jerk let me start off with this. I can't count on one hand, the number of dead bodies I've helped recover of people who went hiking alone. Some of them have been considered consummate outdoorsmen. At lest one went through an ordeal similar to this and died before we reached him. I don't think people in general realize the dangers of hiking let alone how those dangers increase when you go it alone. Take for example a short fall off of a trail, in the snow. If you are with a partner it goes something like this... You fall, your partner sees where you land and tries to get to you to help. If he/she can reach you, you get first aid and if he/she can get you back on your feet you get back to the trail maybe you spend an extra night out on your hike and your friend takes care of your needs, medical and shelter. SAR comes and gets you because of course you left this behind: 📎Blank Hiking Note.doc (30 KB) If you are alone the scenario goes more like this. You fall, banging your ankle and maybe an arm as you slide 100 feet down a steep hillside into the trees. You are laying on the snow and getting cold. The contents of your pack are spread across the hill out of you immediate reach. You struggle to get to your feet but your ankle won't hold your weight and your arm is little help. You start to sweat. You get colder. still on the snow your gear still out of reach. You call out. HELP! The thought hits you. You picked this trail for solitude, yours is the only car in the parking lot. Who knows? Maybe luck is on your side and the angels above have directed another solo hiker into your area. He/she hears your faint cries and comes looking for you. Not having seen where you fell he/she makes their best guess where you are yelling from and heads down hill but misses by one terrain feature and never even sees the contents of your pack spread out on the snow. Not their fault! After searching for you for hours he/she heads back to the trail marking the spot he/she went down the hill with the heavier gear in their pack and hastily heads back to the trailhead and out to call for help. Hours pass as you lay on the snow. You get hypothermia and you die. Someone like me comes along packs you up and hauls your corpse home. The end. With a partner this scenario is an inconvenience at worst. You spend an uncomfortable night and rescue finds you. Draw your own conclusions but don't let me tell you what to do. Knee jerk, remember?

Such is life in the West. And the farther West the more the such.
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 10:35 am 
After doing all my backpacking with Packpup I just completed three solo trips in the last couple of months all with off trail components. I found a difference between going solo and having a trusted partner. For one thing there is no one to talk to as I seldom saw anyone on my three trips. All decisions are made alone; there is no one to consult with as there is only one pair of eyes, ears, and just one mouth to listen to. I personally believe the dangers are the same but the risks are greater and agree with what Helix has to say. I leave a very detailed itinerary with Packpup, be that as it may, if injured it could still be days until she knows I’m overdue. I support those who enjoy hiking solo or in groups, I like both, but I don’t kid myself about the increased risks (not dangers) about hiking solo and that’s because of having a very seasoned partner.

The Tamster

The Tamster
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:49 am 
I personally enjoy hiking with a partner. I like the conversation and the ability to share in the beauty and tranquility of the destination. As a Mom, Wife and the source of the family income I have to stick to high use trails just in case something would happen. Ahhhh, the joys of responsibility....

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Sep 09, 2006 1:58 pm 
Kind of a late reply on this topic, but it came home to me 2 weekends ago. I dayhike alone, but do not backpack alone. The weekend before last, I hurt my ankle right after we set up the tent. We were very high above the lake. It was a silly twist I had done a thousand times before, but this time it hit hard. I had excruciating shooting pain shoot up my foot (the 3 tendons from the first 3 toes) and I absolutely could not stand on it AT ALL. If I had been alone, I would have had to somehow crawl all the way down to the lake to pump water. Then back up to the tent. I *think* I could have done it, (keeping the "Touching the Void" movie in mind the whole time! biggrin.gif ) but it would have been... extremely bad. Thank god I had a pardner with me. Who also helped me out the next day (foot was better). I'm only relating this story because it had me rethink what I'm doing out there, I definitely have never thought I was invincible but when you feel healthy & fit, making it out of someplace injured is most likely not on your mind.

dinomyte

dinomyte
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:12 pm 
Don't sweat it.....
The guy was obviously a Mazama! HAHAHAHAHAHAH! smile.gif

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:35 pm 
Mazamians! Hyuk! toothless.gif (joke)

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:39 pm 
Just pack a .50 and you will have no worries wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:50 pm 
Irreversible thread drift begins.........now. ( guns.gif )

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein