Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking Solo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 8:33 pm 
Don't listen to the GPS haters out there. Nothing else available in this world will better tell you where you are exactly than a quality GPS unit, properly used, in conjunction with a detailed topographical map. A compass isn't even close, and the skill to use it with any results at all beyond simply telling you the direction it's pointing is difficult to acquire. If someone tells you to rely on a compass but not on a GPS, you can bet they are not experienced GPS users, and therefore their advice is suspect. Some will tell you that they always know where they are without help. Good for them. They don't need GPS or a compass. But if you are not one of those people, then a GPS is far, far better than a compass, and just as reliable. Bears and cougars do attack people on occasion. Sarcasm about how agressive the bears are in any location will not protect you if you are attacked. Do whatever it takes to feel comfortable in the event of a bear or cougar attack. If that's nothing, then fine. If it means a gun, that's fine too. For me, hiking alone after dark frequently, "nothing" just isn't an option. I use bear spray and a big knife, not because I think I'll need them, but because I feel better having them than not having them. So I get a benefit from them on every hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:06 pm 
it is hard to find people to go hiking with! i only have 2 to pick from! therefore can't help it but go alone sometimes. it's good to get out, partner or not. as with GPS vs. compass.... i just bought a compass today, first one ever smile.gif yay! it's only my second year of hiking, so far i've just been using directions and trail notes from websites. what about trekking poles, what are people's opinion about those?

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:26 pm 
silly_traveler wrote:
what about trekking poles, what are people's opinion about those?
It depends on your knees, I found them to be great on downhills, but rarely use them uphill. If you get knee pain on hikes, they would be worth your while. They're also great on rough terrain, log crossings and snowfields that aren't too steep.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 pm 
peppersteak'n'ale wrote:
silly_traveler wrote:
what about trekking poles, what are people's opinion about those?
It depends on your knees, I found them to be great on downhills, but rarely use them uphill. If you get knee pain on hikes, they would be worth the while. They're also great on rough terrain, log crossings and snowfields that aren't too steep.
I agree about snowfields and maybe log (or otherwise tricky) stream crossings, but not rough terrain. What good does a pointy pole do you while walking up steep rounded rocks? You have hands for a reason, use them. I always feel more secure knowing I can grab things with my hands, I actually find carrying the poles cumbersome. So I only find it worth bringing them if there's a lot of snow to walk on (because then the poles DO stick into the ground and there ISN'T anything to grab). The occasional annoying stream or snow patch just doesn't justify either having big unwieldly things in your hands or weighing down your pack the whole time, in my mind. I've gone hiking with my dad when he has them, and he has had trouble and even fallen because he WAS carrying trekking poles.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:43 pm 
Foist wrote:
What good does a pointy pole do you while walking up steep rounded rocks? God gave you hands, use them.
I almost never use poles going uphill, I was thinking more of descending steep heather slopes or dirt gulleys where handholds are at a premium. I agree, using your hands to climb boulder fields is certainly preferable, but poles do come in handy at stream crossings, especially where foot-slippage or balance are considerations.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:45 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Don't listen to the GPS haters out there. Nothing else available in this world will better tell you where you are exactly than a quality GPS unit, properly used, in conjunction with a detailed topographical map. A compass isn't even close, and the skill to use it with any results at all beyond simply telling you the direction it's pointing is difficult to acquire. If someone tells you to rely on a compass but not on a GPS, you can bet they are not experienced GPS users, and therefore their advice is suspect. Some will tell you that they always know where they are without help. Good for them. They don't need GPS or a compass. But if you are not one of those people, then a GPS is far, far better than a compass, and just as reliable.
I doubt anyone would argue that a compass is actually BETTER than a GPS, the issue is probably just cost. But a good middle ground, if you don't want to splurge on a GPS unit, is an altimeter. It's not quite a GPS, but I think it's actually more useful than a compass (although of course you should have both). If you have a topo map, knowing your elevation tells you a lot about where you are, when you need to turn, etc.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm 
Hey PSA, I use my poles going up hill all the time. I like how you can torque down on them and use your upper body to help propel yourself up the hill. Interesting. Certainly they help down hill as well.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 pm 
A GPS is great until your batteries run out, you lose reception, etc. A GPS is no excuse for not bringing a compass or knowing how to use one. I bet many GPS out there wouldn't be able to tell you how to set declination on a compass, much less know if the red arrow points north or south. doof.gif

Phil

Phil
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 pm 
I had a GPS. Unlike my compass, wouldnt work under the trees.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 9:58 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hey PSA, I use my poles going up hill all the time. I like how you can torque down on them and use your upper body to help propel yourself up the hill. Interesting. Certainly they help down hill as well.
Sometimes I'll use them if the going uphill is really steep and I need the extra traction, but usually I just carry them and use them as needed

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 pm 
Speaking for myself, a single pole of diamond willow gives me a 'third leg' (careful now!) and that sense of extra balance. However, friends, this is but a tangent! Speaking for myself again, I welcome the opportunity to hike with friends and club groups, but I do find a thrill in the total silence that you can only find alone on a backcountry trail. smile.gif When I venture out alone, I make sure my wife knows my plans, and stick to those plans, and make a cell phone call to check in when I can. REI guy shouldn't get us all worked up, IMHO.

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 pm 
what does IMHO stand for? confused.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostThu Jul 06, 2006 10:56 pm 
In My Humble Opinion

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 07, 2006 1:27 am 
Quote:
A compass isn't even close, and the skill to use it with any results at all beyond simply telling you the direction it's pointing is difficult to acquire.
I took me about three minutes to learn how to use a compass. I was about nine at the time, so maybe it would take me five or six minutes to learn if I were to have to do it all again tomorrow.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
dev4net

dev4net
PostFri Jul 07, 2006 2:02 am 
gps vs. compass
I'm glad the GPS/compass topic came up because it's interesting to hear what your thoughts are. However, I suspect, like many topics, it's mostly personal preference. For me, I work with technology every day all day. When I'm in the woods, I don't want to use it. So I've decided [for myself] I'll just read my BEWMAC book and try to only use my new compass and my topo maps, which just arrived yesterday ... woohoo biggrin.gif Just to be on the safe side, I'm probably going to pick up a bluetooth GPS device for my pocket pc phone, but I'll only use it as a desperate backup.