Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking Solo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
satyrium1975

satyrium1975
PostSat Jul 08, 2006 11:55 pm 
weapon on hand
I always have a knife with me also, although I tend to forget about it as I actually consider it to be there more for cutting up things to eat, sawing through cords, whatever, rather than used in defense. I think the sharpest weapon or tool of all is my brain though, so I'm going to rest up for a shot at Spray Park in the morning, thanks to the great trip reports left by some. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 3:15 am 
A nice easy 'personal safety tool' when hiking solo: Leave your flight plan with a trusted person at home. When chatting with folks at the TH or on the trail, be very vague about your destination and amount of time you will be out there. Really, none of their business.... Be very specific with your designee at home about when to call SAR. On a short trip or day hike, the 'call SAR' timing should be a lot tighter than say a one week trip where plans might change, bad weather, whatever. In the case of the latter, you will have extra food and a tent and stuff. You do not want SAR called too late, for certain, but also not too early. Once the call is made, they take it seriously. This all may seem elementary, but I've seen far too many situations where the SAR timing was either too early or too late.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Helix

Helix
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 11:02 am 
Good advise
marylou wrote:
A nice easy 'personal safety tool' when hiking solo: Leave your flight plan with a trusted person at home. When chatting with folks at the TH or on the trail, be very vague about you destination and amount of time you will be out there. Really, none of their business.... Be very specific with your designee at home about when to call SAR. On a short trip or day hike, the 'call SAR' timing should be a lot tighter than say a one week trip where plans might change, bad weather, whatever. . .
This is Great advice. I wish everyone did this.

Such is life in the West. And the farther West the more the such.
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 am 
I haven't hiked solo for a few years. I think it's about time for a week long solo somewhere. I did a week long up to Cathedral Lake and another up to Waptus/Spade Lakes solo and really enjoyed it. But one thing I would NEVER SOLO would be a night in the Tungsten Mine Cabins. shakehead.gif eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
wbs

wbs
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 3:10 pm 
I like to do many outdoor activities solo. It's a matter of personal choice and risk your willing to accept based on a variety of factors and type of activity. As other's have mentioned, leaving a plan, being prepared for situation at hand or what may occur, knowing your personal limits, being aware of your changing surroundings and how to adjust accordingly. A partner (or group) does infact raise the prospect of help if needed in a catistrophic event. Where you stand a greater chance statistically with others nearby to administer aid, call for help or hike out for help; keep in mind however an accident with or without others is still an accident. I personally don't alter my "acceptable" risk when partnered up vs. solo. The other day for example, I was scrambling up a relatively straighforward snowy peak and since I was the first one of the day in that basin, if something went really wrong I had to keep in the back of my mind the "what ifs". IF I slide here and self arrest for some reason doesn't work, what is the runout? Make sure I don't impale myself on the iceaxe. What IF I slip on a rock and twist an ankle or break a leg? What IF this route brings me to an inpassible headwall and I'm CO'd? What IF a heart attack?? Granted no one is immune from every conceivable what it, but I was using reasonable judgement. Even if I was with another person I would not tend to alter this thinking pattern to take more risky choices beyond my (or anyone elses) experience level. Have fun and be safe smile.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 4:51 pm 
aestivate wrote:
It's curious that nobody has yet mentioned satellite phones, which, unlike cell phones, work pretty much everywhere. It's the only device I can think of that would be likely to save you in the event of an immobilizing accident, off the trail alone in remote country. One's chances of being found in such circumstances, sans phone, are extremely low. It's really quite interesting to see how easy it is to disappear permanently even in a comparatively postage-stamp-sized wild area like Rainier NP.
I disagree strongly with that statement (italicized). Leaving a detailed, accurate route description with the person who will be calling 911 if you don't report by the appropriate time will virtually guarantee that SAR will find either you or your body, as long as you stick to your plan and don't get lost.

Helix

Helix
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm 
Sat phones
Its True the first generation of SAT phones still require you to know where you are in order to direct rescue to you. There are, however; a new generation with a built in GPS unit. the phone is about a grand and the subscription fees are also stifling. There are also new Cell phone models that have built in gps. the idea is that the phone company can assist EMS/SAR in finding you. I have had one SAR mission where the lost subject was able to call 911 with a GPS equipped phone. The problem was the phone company relayed us Lat/Longe that was over 20 Miles from the subjects actual location. Pretty useless. the lesson is don't depend on technology when a low tech solution is available.

Such is life in the West. And the farther West the more the such.
sgwizdak

sgwizdak
PostSun Jul 09, 2006 7:37 pm 
I love my poles for tricky terrain. Being a bit of a klutz I find it pretty easy to trip on rocks or roots, and many times I've prevented a nasty spill by instantly bearing my weight on my poles when I loose footing.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 12:36 am 
Quote:
What good does a pointy pole do you while walking up steep rounded rocks?
Being a bit feeble, and still wanting to do fun hikes, I've become pretty adept at using poles in many situations. You might be surprised at what terrain you can move over with a set of poles. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 8:04 am 
I would have to agree with the poles. I didn't expect them to make hikes *safer*, just more comfortable and saner on the knees, but I think they have saved me from a few potential sprains and scrapes due to having a few more contact points at all times.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 8:40 am 
Those poles saved my butt a few times coming off of Hinman this past weekend!!! Wouldnt hike without them.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
salish

salish
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 am 
I occasionally do a solo hike, but the older I get the more I realize that we're all mortal and S happens. I just got back from Alaska where I did a day hike on an unknown and unfamiliar trail to a mountain lake in the Kenai solo, in horrible weather and around bears. Going up the trail the safety issue crossed my mind several times. A hiker who had tentatively agreed to join me finally showed up when I got to the top, and I was glad for the company.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 pm 
sorry to continue.... but spend the ridicules price of 650$ ( they should be 400$ or less) for a P L B that signal goes to the noaa satellite/rescue center. there was a company up in arlington that rented them for like 50$ a week, and they had brochures at rei. so far there has not been much mention of this for solo hikers.

bertman

bertman
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 8:02 pm 
Hi, new guy here. I dayhike solo most of the time. And I know I should but I don't usually leave information with a safety. But I do stay with well established routes. I do not always carry the 10+ esentials. I guess it just depends on the level of risk. If I was going to backpack solo, then hell yes, I'd carry the essentials plus the kitchen sink if need be. But on a day hike, I often leave stuff out. Do I really need a map to do Rattlesnake Ledge? Probably not. Should I? Probably should. Again, it depends. This weekend I did Green Mountain. It was a spur of the moment decision at 7AM Labor Day morning. I did not have a map and I wasn't going to wait until REI opened. So I went knowing this but accepting the risk that if I got lost, I could be screwed. You do have to be smart and play it safe sometimes when you're going solo. But the rewards of being solo are a temendous draw for me. Bertman

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 8:22 pm 
I've run into an increasing number of people using ski poles on their hikes. Ten days ago heading up from lower Twin Lake, I found a busted pole sticking in a stump. The other day I ran across a guy at a trailhead with a pair of them. I never have used them. Most of the hiking, on and off the trail (mostly off through the remainder of this season until my work load keeps me desk bound in late November) that I do is solo to some degree. But I always tell my family where I'll be and if I change camps I call home. That's about the only value I find for cell phones! biggrin.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence