Forum Index > Trail Talk > Idaho, northern Oregon climbing/ hiking websites
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 3:32 pm 
Are there any good websites out there like this one that are devoted to the the inland northwest. Nwhikers.net is one of the best information resources to use when going on climbs or hikes, but it is more based on the westside. I live about 7 miles away from Idaho now. Any information would be helpful, especially relating to Idaho, western Montana, and northern Oregon. I really just moved here so I have not had time to explore my surroundings. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 3:42 pm 
sorry, i don't know of any websites, but: wehanna-tucannon wilderness area is just south of you in the blue mountains. eagle cap wilderness area is just over the oregon border. fabulous! salmo-priest wilderness area ( selkirk range ) ( north of spokane- quite a drive on a limited budget ) would be well worth checking out.
eagle-cap-wilderness-area-0803
eagle-cap-wilderness-area-0803
see also: "100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest" ( Rich Landers, Ida Rowe Dolphin © Mountaineers ) see also: "55 Hikes in Central Washington" ( Ira Spring, Harvey Manning © Mountaineers )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 4:23 pm 
summit post is your best bet I believe. ther are some great guys from Id on the forum there.

Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 4:25 pm 
I don't know of any forums for this side of the state where you could go to post messages and get up-to-date info. As far as local hiking info (don't think that's your questing really but..) there's a few websites that people on this side have and where trip reports are posted. There's InlandNWOutdoors for one and I have one where I post stuff too. The 100 hikes book above is really good and there's also the Desert Hikes book that has good stuff. The 55 Hikes book kinda blows as far as accuracy but it's cheap and might give you some ideas. [Added] Oops, didn't notice you mentioned Montana - oh well, meybe this is useful anyway. As far as current info and reports like you get on a forum, I think we have a pretty good representation of east siders here and there are usually frequent east side reports posted.

termite
wildloaf

termite
wildloaf
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 6:52 pm 
Neil library in Downtown Pullman has some great books, including 100 hikes in the inland northwest. Spotly's website is a great resource as well as the summit post website. If you become interested in a particular area or hike chances are someone here will have some info. I have also had great help from the woman who runs the shilo inn in troy, OR concerning the road and trail conditions at the wenaha river. Good luck!

"I seem to have lost my bearing."
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 pm 
Tazz is right, summitpost.org has some active Idaho guys. You can search for people by state, and then PM.

Dave_Schuldt
Never lost

Dave_Schuldt
Never lost
PostSat Sep 09, 2006 5:22 pm 
cascadeclimbers.com

dinomyte

dinomyte
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:09 pm 
Eagle Caps
I just got back from a Labor Day trip in the Eagle Caps. Check out my TR at http://www.lebre.net/outdoors.html It's toward the bottom.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 10:55 pm 
Thank you guys for all your help. I have marked all these websites in my favorites file. Hopefully, I will be able to find some partners to share the cost of the long drives out here. By the way, if anybody is doing something anywhere near Pullman, let me know. I would be glad to join them.