Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Photo of Webb Ranch, near Purdy, WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 pm 
Some of you may have seen this ... it's gone now. It stood for many years and every time we drove past, I'd stop for photos. We used to call it the Webb ranch as a family by that name lived there. Karen
This old ranch was located near Shelton near the junction with Purdy Road and the highway that continued to Belfair and Bremerton (Washington).
This old ranch was located near Shelton near the junction with Purdy Road and the highway that continued to Belfair and Bremerton (Washington).

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 1:10 pm 
This is the Purdy (Shelton) area .... That Purdy cut-off road is one of the spookiest roads in the region but my Dad sure knew a lot of good fishing holes there. Karen

reststep

reststep
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 6:21 pm 
Karen, would this be the same family that Webb Hill Road is named after?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Karen

Karen
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 7:19 pm 
Yes, it is. Webb Road/Ranch, named for the same family. My father remembered (as a boy at Union) that one day the young wife came running all the way to Union for help .... her husband had been working with a threshing machine and had a terrible accident, cutting off both legs. She ran for help, no phones at all in those days. I don't know the year that his happened but it must have been before 1920 because my Dad was born in 1911 and he was still a boy when this happened. Help came too late. There used to be a steep road (maybe it's still there) called Webb Hill road that went up a very, very steep grade. We always had "beater" cars when I was a kid and my Dad loved to drive up that road as fast as he could get the car to go (it didn't go very fast) and we'd be laughing and having a great time as those beat-up station wagons grumbled and growled all the way to the top of the hill. Also in that area .... we used to picnic and once found an abandoned ranch and orchard (not Webb ranch). Several times I've tried to go back and find it --- to no avail. Karen

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 9:51 pm 
Karen, I wonder if the family were settlers in the beginning? Maybe the ranch goes a long way back. I guess that the Mason County records would show the beginning date of the ranch. Maybe the family came out on a wagon train, and took out a claim. http://www.ccrh.org/comm/cottage/primary/claim.htm

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 pm 
When I was a tiny Bob, my parents owned property on Old Hatchery Lake, just off Webb Hill Road. I don't remember the road being steep though. We used to spend summer vacations on the lake (it's small-maybe 4 acres), but Mom and Dad sold it when someone put in a development (it was just lots for sale last time I looked) overlooking Hood Canal just down the road from our property. It was the time I spent there that really got me interested in hiking. My brother and I used to play wilderness explorer when we weren't swimming. Good times on old Webb Hill.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
Gil

Gil
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 11:25 pm 
Karen: Interesting tales! My mom's side of the family goes way back in that area. My great-great grandfather Carl Lorenz built the sawmill at Lake Bay, and his sons ran a series of steamships that served that area. My mom and her sister still own a home in Taylor Bay.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
reststep

reststep
PostTue Nov 14, 2006 12:01 pm 
Interesting stuff Karen I have never driven Webb Hill Road because it seems like when I go by there I am always on my way to someplace else. Now I am going to have to drive it or bicycle it. I remember the road because when we would drive by when I was a kid (a long time ago smile.gif ) my dad would talk about riding his motorcycle there.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir