Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kromona trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 5:41 pm 
Hound dog has been wanting to visit the digs of old Joe Krom so we made plans for Sunday morning. Met at the normal spot and headed for the trail. The trail is really the old road that starts @ Olney Pass. We parked at the gate and jumped on the Mt. bikes and headed down the road. It's a slow 5 mile up ward climb and the legs were barking, for me any way.. This mine was first found or located as they called it in the 1900 year range. At some point it was abandoned but relocated by Mr. Joe Krom in 1940. There was a 1700 foot aerial tramway built to get the ore from the mine down to the mill. Story is as the mine was closing for good they loaded up the tram car and as it started it's descent it broke free and did a mach 2 flight down and went through the lower terminal ore bunker. And that was the end of that. If you look in the brush you can find rem's of it. In 1952-53 they built a flotation mill to produce copper and molybdenum from the mine. She finally closed in the 60's. Soooo, as we get close maybe a mile to the bridge the basin come's into view. It's getting warm and bug's are our for an early lunch. After we lock up the bikes the buy spray come's out and no more bug problem. If you have never done this trip to the mine then the best way is to follow the 2Drx route. http://2drx.com/2005/Kromona/ As get across the creek and make our way up the old miners trail the shade is a welcome feeling. Much cooler. Soon we come to the bottom of the tailing pile and it's huge. Remember they took most out so this is waste rock.
Here we jump across into the tree line and start looking at all the junk. We make it to the top and dump packs, change shirts for a cold explore and have a snack before entering. This place is really cool looking. Jimbo in front of the almost closed off adit.
I had been here once last spring with a bunch of folks but they some were a bit spooked early into the explore so we bailed. I was really wanting to see the thing today as Hound Dog and I were feeling brave. I had a map of the lay out so we kinda split it up. In the middle section there was a bit of a cave in.
Here's a few cool shots in the old Kromona mine.
There are ladders that lead up to the upper workings and I just have to go see for my self. Knowing from other information it's very very dangerous to go up but I have to see some of it. I chicken out and take a shot looking down what I have just come up. OMG what have I done confused.gif
I can hear Hound Dog below but can't see him.. I make it down and we finish our tour and head back out. Around 90 minutes under ground on a hot day and we were feeling the effects of the cold. We talked about that poor sole that died in mine. We have gotten lax in our mine safety and will make sure get back on track. If you like exploring and want to try it out I recommend looking at this. http://2drx.com/OtherStuff.shtml Look at the Safety part real close cuz this is nothing to take lightly.. We did some looking around and found the day slipping away so started our down hill trek making sure not to kill the guy below with rocks.. We finished the day with chat and ice cold Red Hook at the gate.. That's it. cheers.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 7:09 pm 

ree

ree
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 7:17 pm 
Wow!!! Great pictures. I love old mines. I have a healthy respect for them too (given last week's grim news.) And I do worry what kind of toxic crap is laying around for me to touch or inhale. Fun trip, guys! Vicarious enjoyment here.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jul 10, 2006 7:46 pm 
Quote:
Jimbo's mine photos are quite decent I must say. He's developing into some sort of Ansel Adams of the Underground.
Ya, I really need to rtfm, and see if my camera has similar setting.

Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 5:11 pm 
6 years has passed.........what *did* happen - the above "grim news"?

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 11:03 am 
13 yrs now, I'd love to see that place again.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 pm 
Real cool lookin mine! What happened in the above "grim news"!? Crazy where the old timers were able to dig mines! Cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin