Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yelllowstone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 12, 2006 10:48 pm 
Just got back from a family trip for five days. First we went to the north side and went to Mammoth Hot Springs and jogged up to the lower terrace
yellowstone 2006 003
yellowstone 2006 003
Then we traveled for some sightseeing and fishing while having a picnic I went down a trail to the stream to check it out and this fellow
yellowstone 2006 035
yellowstone 2006 035
walked out from behind a bush and I beat a hasty retreat eek.gif We headed south after a few casts to the Old Faithful area where we took a few touron pix of Geysers.
yellowstone 2006 063
yellowstone 2006 063
yellowstone 2006 068
yellowstone 2006 068
and animals
yellowstone 2006 018
yellowstone 2006 018
yellowstone 2006 020
yellowstone 2006 020
While at White Dome Geyser a thunder storm hit at the same time as the eruption
yellowstone 2006 077
yellowstone 2006 077
Nest morning we went on a short hike to a couple Beaver Ponds up above Mammoth
yellowstone 2006 058
yellowstone 2006 058
While returning we heard a sudden noise and half a dozed Pronghorns whipped by and were gone before I could get the camera out, luckily they were followed by another group
yellowstone 2006 059
yellowstone 2006 059
We were a bit concerned because friends had just seen a group being chased by a Grizzly to the east eek.gif we waited but no bear. Just drove back today.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 pm 
Great shots. I'm planning a trip back there fairly soon. Where'd ya camp? Any advice in that regard would be appreciated. I'm just wondering about crowds and if there are just better places that I should keep an eye out for. Thanks.

touron

touron
PostWed Jul 12, 2006 11:14 pm 
Nice shots. I haven't been back to Yellowstone since my Grandmother moved from Livingstone to Seattle. Livingstone is a nice town to relax in. Having one of those giant buffalo near your little Honda makes you feel...pretty small. Before Woodland Park changed their zoo layout, you were able to feed the buffalo. I remember my 4 year-old brother feeding the buffalo marshmallows. He would say, "One for me. One for the buffalo." Little kids need to grow too. up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
quilter

quilter
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 9:27 am 
Love Yellowstone! I'm going for my sixth time next month. I've sent in reservations for a backcountry trip to Heart Lake. Last time, I spent five days on a trip to Shoshone Lake. Other than the backcountry places, I've only camped at Canyon. It's a nice, centrally located camp. They had a bear through there last month. Another good campground would be Madison. It's located closer to the thermal areas. I don't know why people complain about the crowds. It's nowhere near as crowded as a city vacation. And there is almost no one on the trails. But this year, I'm taking bear spray. The last time we were in Yellowstone/Montana, we saw bears just everywhere, including on the trails. Yellowstone is all good. Travel the Grand Loop to see the major attactions. Most of the crowds are near Old Faithful, and we've only had problems finding parking once or twice as the smaller thermal basins. Have a great time!

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 9:52 am 
What a cool place brings back memories of our trip accross the country. thanks for sharing!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 10:11 am 
This time we just stayed at a cabin at Mammoth before we camped at Madison and Canyon which are very large campgrounds there are several smaller ones that are nicer such as Norris and a couple others. We did an overnight once to Shoshone Lake and had a great time. The trails with the exception of those around Old Faithful are far less used than those in the cascades or the Tetons. The do a very good job of scaring most folks from backpacking. We saw no bears but our friends sam several in the Lamar Valley including the abovementioned Griz. There was a thunderstorm every afternoon for about 30 min.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
birkettnealy

birkettnealy
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 4:13 pm 
Sweet photos!
I haven't been to Yellowstone since before the fires. Thanks for the photos, especially the wolf!

"It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." -Pat Monahan
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 4:16 pm 
thats a coyote not a wolf.

touron

touron
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 7:58 pm 
quilter wrote:
Yellowstone is all good.
up.gif The whole park is incredible, so don't miss anything. Upper and lower falls, Tower Falls, Artist's Point, the geyser basin, Sapphire, Emerald and Morning Glory pools,...it all must be seen. up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.