Forum Index > Trail Talk > Controversial Manmade Signs in Wilderness (formerly Plaques)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Aug 14, 2006 11:23 pm 
Why are summit registers ok in the wilderness if plaques aren't? They are no more "winderness".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gyngve

gyngve
PostMon Aug 14, 2006 11:32 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Why are summit registers ok in the wilderness if plaques aren't? They are no more "winderness".
Because summit registers are hidden inside a small tube / film canister and are often covered by rocks. You have to look for it, and you don't accidentally read its contents. A plaque is meant to be stumbled across, and its text is imposed on whomever goes past. But yes, I am imposing an arbitrary judgment somewhere between 0 and 1. I find it acceptable to have fixed climbing anchors in the wilderness, but I don't find it acceptable to place a bolt where clean pro is available. I support keeping Middle Fork open for cars, but I oppose snowmos on Baker and St. Helens. My judgments are completely selfish, which means that I hope I can persuade others that my judgments are the "right" ones.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 1:01 am 
I'm passing no judgements, just asking questions to find where the line is. I wouldn't want to see plaques all over either, but I understand the sentiment of wanting to mark the location of someone's passing. So if a small stone marker was placed out of the way, not in sight of general traffic, would that be as ok as a summit register?

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 1:17 am 
I think we should draw the line at flagged plaques on dog-built cairns.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 2:07 am 
I don't mind the memorials it gives you pause to think about what happened and how fragile we are in the outdoors when the conditions warrant caution. There's a memorial near the Lake Serene mine near Index where 3 were killed in an avalance. Everytime I see a cross and memorial along the highway I slow down. I don't mind the reminder.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
touron

touron
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 7:28 am 
Rich Baldwin wrote:
I think we should draw the line at flagged plaques on dog-built cairns.
4 of 5 dentists do, but the 5th does not, and that is the problem.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 7:30 am 
GeoHiker wrote:
I don't mind the memorials it gives you pause to think about what happened and how fragile we are in the outdoors when the conditions warrant caution. There's a memorial near the Lake Serene mine near Index where 3 were killed in an avalance. Everytime I see a cross and memorial along the highway I slow down. I don't mind the reminder.
ditto.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 10:46 am 
What do you think about this one? Found on the Cheakamus Lake Trail (IIRC) in British Columbia.
Plaque on Cheakamus Lake Trail, BC
Plaque on Cheakamus Lake Trail, BC
Here is another one I came across at Yellow Aster Butte, down near the tarns in a wooded area:
Plaque found at Yellow Aster Butte Tarns.
Plaque found at Yellow Aster Butte Tarns.
I was surprised to see it there.

Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 10:51 am 
I should say, the bottom one at YAB was posted near the remnants of an old cabin structure. There was not much to see but a few logs on top of each other.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 11:14 am 
I'm not so keen on new plaques in the wilderness. The WWII memorial plaques at Nordrum and elsewhere are OK with me, though, because they predate the Wilderness Act and presumably memorialize people who loved the area but didn't live to enjoy it again.

wadel

wadel
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 1:51 pm 
There is a memorial plaque bolted to a rock above Camp Muir. It reads: Here's to banana slugs and high places. We gratefully celebrate the life and spirit of Janie The song of our soul. Janie and Willi died March 4th 1979 This isn't in a wilderness but NP's have some fairly stringent rules as well.

gyngve

gyngve
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 2:16 pm 
wadel wrote:
There is a memorial plaque bolted to a rock above Camp Muir. It reads: Here's to banana slugs and high places. We gratefully celebrate the life and spirit of Janie The song of our soul. Janie and Willi died March 4th 1979
Willi Unsoeld climbed the West Ridge of Everest with Tom Hornbein in the early sixties in alpine style way ahead of their time. Willi was killed in an avalanche on Rainier in 1979. He served on mountain rescue and was a faculty member at Evergreen.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 2:25 pm 
If it's above Muir then it is in both a NP and in designated federal wilderness.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jasonracey

jasonracey
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 4:52 pm 
I haven't seen it but I think a plaque was installed for the guy who fell into Columbia Basin off of the ridge below Kyes Peak about 6 years ago in the spot where he was found. I think he was a UW grad student or something like that. They found his car at the Monte Cristo trailhead but it took a week or so to locate his body. I'd bet the people who decided to do it were not thinking about wilderness impact. What better place to put it though? Unless Seattle gets a climber's memorial that we could use - like the one they have for fishermen. I'd donate money to a project like that.

David

David
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 5:58 pm 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
Opus wrote:
Is this mounted on what I think it's mounted on??? huh.gif
Nice way to be remembered -- by folks taking a dump on you? If anyone did that to me post mortem, there would be a lot of haunting going on for that. I get ashed and dumped on Mt Colden (in the Adirondacks) w/ no sign or plaque when i go.