Forum Index > Trail Talk > Controversial Manmade Signs in Wilderness (formerly Plaques)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Sep 01, 2008 4:52 am 
Kings Peak
Thanks CascadeHiker, Now that I see that plaque, that darn thing may have been there when I was on top in the early '70's. Isn't there a US Geologic Survey stake there too? Wow, that was a long time ago. The thing I do remember is a big scree chute that we all jumped in and rode scree fall almost to the bottom. Probably bad trail etiquette today. And the sheep of course. I was on a Sierra Club trail maintenance crew. Can't remember the name of the trail. Hope it's still there! Tom Thanks Braaaaaaaahhhhhhh. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Oct 11, 2009 5:32 pm 
pile of junk in meadow
pile of junk in meadow
An ever growing eyesore in the Col Bob Wilderness.
toilet paper in a tarn
toilet paper in a tarn
I think this was also left by the shrine builders.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 pm 
Posted a question asking who "Joe" was in another thread, but this looks like the right place to file this more permanently.
"Joe" memorial on Tiger Mountain
"Joe" memorial on Tiger Mountain

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostTue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 am 
captain jack wrote:
Does anyone know who Brett Hall was, and why this extremely heavy chunk of marble sits up on Mount Si, in his honor?
Resize of Sigh 2006-08-16 010
Resize of Sigh 2006-08-16 010
Scroll down on the newsletter to read a brief report on the search for Brett. SMR now has archived copies available on the website going back to 1955, http://www.seattlemountainrescue.org/newsletters/newsletter_1982_02.pdf Archives. http://www.seattlemountainrescue.org/newsletters.html

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 3:46 pm 
I miss the old title of this thread. Here's some plague related news in memoriam of the original subject line. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 4:09 pm 
That's fine..it won't come up for me to get a closer look..I don't mind one memorial on the trail/place the people died at..however..why are the same ones seen on several trails besides that singular trail?..just doesn't make sense throwing them up elsewhere! When I die..I'll have friends put them up on every trail I've ever been on just to give people that are bored looking at nature something to read while having to put up with all that greenery! hockeygrin.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
If family ever wants to memorialize my passing, they can go into the woods, or along the highway and pack foreign material out.
I'll go with that, and while they're at it, they can shoo out the stupid people that leave stuff everywhere also....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Crookedknife

Crookedknife
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 10:36 pm 
On one hand, I can understand the occasional memorial plaque because I come from a fishing community - the fatality rate of fishermen is extremely high, and you'll find such plaques on odd little islands in SE Alaska near where people lost their lives. I've lost uncles, classmates. You don't forget. They didn't deserve to die. If a plaque isn't a memorial, I don't thick it deserves such permanence. In the old view of my culture, it would make no sense to grant a permanent memorial to anybody: In the old way of thinking, it wasn't so much the life of a single person that was important so much as the role that person filled in the family. When someone died, the name they carried had to be passed on to someone else in their lineage in order to fill the rank that that name conferred. BUT, they didn't think of it as giving a name to a person. They were giving the person to the name. The identity had permanence in the family; the person did not, even though every life was treasured. Thus, memorials that would last only as long as the life of a person were used. These were totem poles. They were erected at the death of a chief to mark the passage of the chiefdom to someone new, and in general the pole would "die" (fall) after about one human lifetime. Sorry of the complicated post. Just trying to explain it as I understand it. I guess it goes to say that I don't really support memorial plaques unless they also support something of permanence, like an idea or a cause.

"Let us climb a mountain, hanging on by low scragged limbs." - Roger Zelanzany