Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Goodbye Columbia and crew....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 12:55 pm 
you died doing what you had a passion for, and there's no better epitaph than that. Your loss touches us all deeply, for some part of the yearning to see new things, experience new places, and travel beyond the beyond is carried in each human heart. What you strived to do and see brought a small piece of the wonders of the cosmos back for each of us, the brave work of you, those who preceded you, and those who shall follow. A daring crew lost on the shores of space, yet bringing us a tiny bit closer to the eternal in doing so, you've earned a place in the never ending epic of history. Once again we each share the grief of inevitable human loss, as when sailors braved the wide ocean in wooden ships, and now when humans dare to defy the immutable laws of physics and probability applied on a cosmic scale, and the house wins. Though the risk is often forgotten in an age when spaceflight is considered routine, your loss illustrates the boldness of the human drive to explore. In the face of tremendous, impersonal forces which must be held in check, while also held in delicate balance, for us to even take the tiniest steps off the surface of this world. Yet you risked it all to carry us farther along our destiny, to high orbit, and perhaps eventually to the stars bawl.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostSat Feb 01, 2003 2:36 pm 
Thank you MtnGoat. Very beautiful words to help us cope with a tragic loss.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 12:35 am 
Once again I say, MTN Goat for Pres.. I dont even know you well, but I love you! I posted a "Lost shuttle" link and FOUR *******people resonded to it! Out of 86 that looked at it! Our society is BANKRUPT, and LOST! There is NO hope! I dont ask for much, just a little acknowledgement of compassion and Patriotism! I guess that's to much to ask! 86 people read, FOUR responded! God save the Queen! These seven people deserve BETTER than this! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Realist

Realist
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 10:57 am 
The 7 kids killed by the avalanche near Revelstoke was 10 times worse in my mind than the shuttle. Kind of funny that the biggest proponents of war get all weepy eyed when a few brave folks get killed doing their duty. shakehead.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostMon Feb 03, 2003 11:42 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Once again I say, MTN Goat for Pres.. I dont even know you well, but I love you! I posted a "Lost shuttle" link and FOUR *******people resonded to it! Out of 86 that looked at it! Our society is BANKRUPT, and LOST! There is NO hope! I dont ask for much, just a little acknowledgement of compassion and Patriotism! I guess that's to much to ask! 86 people read, FOUR responded! God save the Queen! These seven people deserve BETTER than this! TB
With a BS post like that, any credibility you may have had is now gone. Judging patriotism by who responds to your post? Now I have heard it all.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 12:45 pm 
Quote:
Kind of funny that the biggest proponents of war get all weepy eyed when a few brave folks get killed doing their duty.
If you fail to understand the reasons for this, it merely shows you are not correctly assessing the reasons of this particular "proponent". shakehead.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 12:53 pm 
Well thanks pappy. I know it'll be hard for you to hear, but I DONT need your approval feel good about myself! I also dont need your approval to have credibility! That said my point MIGHT have been that I'd have liked to have seen more people pooring their hearts out on this forum about this tragedy! It simply saddened me. That's all. Thanks for the compassion Pappy. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 12:56 pm 
And Mr. Goat did his normal great job addressing Mr. Jackass "REALIST"! TB

PostMon Feb 03, 2003 1:56 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Well thanks pappy. I know it'll be hard for you to hear, but I DONT need your approval feel good about myself! I also dont need your approval to have credibility! That said my point MIGHT have been that I'd have liked to have seen more people pooring their hearts out on this forum about this tragedy! It simply saddened me. That's all. Thanks for the compassion Pappy. TB
BPJ, I went to a funeral last week attended by over 300 people. Four people spoke including the priest. Does that make the rest of us uncompasionate? Sometimes people are just speachless by events like this. You have no idea what I or anyone else (that didn't meet your criteria for mourning, compassion and patriotism) felt. Doesn't matter what you'd like to have seen us do or say on this forum. You have no idea. I felt MtnGoat's words were very nice. But I don't see these peoples deaths as anything more, or less than any other deaths that occur in tragic accidents. But, equating the lack of a response to the accident with a "bankrupt" or "lost" society is sick. IMO down.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 2:14 pm 
Pappy, maybe I went too far. As I said before I had hoped for more of a responce. I appologize if I offended anyone, that really wasnt my point. I'm as guilty (maybe more) as anyone at sounding off to much at times. You are correct in your description of Mr. Goats point. I should have made mine without insulting anyone. TB Oh and Pappy, I'm pretty sure your credibility isnt going away in my eyes just because youve said something I disagree with!

PostMon Feb 03, 2003 2:34 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Pappy, maybe I went too far. As I said before I had hoped for more of a responce. I appologize if I offended anyone, that really wasnt my point. I'm as guilty (maybe more) as anyone at sounding off to much at times. You are correct in your description of Mr. Goats point. I should have made mine without insulting anyone. TB Oh and Pappy, I'm pretty sure your credibility isnt going away in my eyes just because youve said something I disagree with!
Touche turtle! biggrin.gif I didn't even know I had credibility. biggrin.gif Tom B, I appreciate you "listening" and adjusting your thinking. Obviously this accident affected you deeply. But one thing I've learned about forums like this is you can't be to offended ( on any subject) if there isn't much response to a post. hard to say why one subject gets 50 responses and another only 4. But it is harder for me to understand why there are over 100 registered memebers that have never posted even once.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 2:41 pm 
Point taken! I am very passionate about things, but my mind is not closed most of the time! TB ha.gif

Karen

Karen
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 3:02 pm 
Well, feet first into deep water .....
First of all I want to commend all of you for continuing to post even when other don't agree with your positions. How else can we learn from each other? If we all had the same opinions and felt the same way about everything it would be a pretty dull world. Dylan Thomas the poet wrote a great line once, "After the first death there is no other." IMHO many of us (including me) get used to terrible events because there is so much suffering and the way it is displayed via the media is Hollywoodish. I don't know about any of you but I am tired of hearing about "make-shift memorials" and "closure" and, well you get the message. I'm still not quite saying what I intend to say, let me ramble a bit until I can wrap it up with a bit of sense. I was offended by a friend of mine who made a sick joke about the 7 lives that were lost. I did not grieve in the sense that I would if someone I were close to died (whether in the line of duty or not) but I had and still have a lot of awe and respect for those who undertake such difficult jobs. I believe that those of you who have ever been in the military or in a dangerous line of work WOULD feel this more than someone like me who has NEVER been in the military, never been near space, never seen combat or taken on such challenges as those who aim for the heavens. I feel the loss in a more philosophical sense than I do a personal sense because I didn't know these men as individuals and I also did not know the 7 young skiers as individuals either. Whose lives were most important? That's an unanswerable question. Certainly the 7 lives that were lost on the Columbia will have a larger impact in the geographical, economical, political sense because so much of our national interests are tied up in these programs. But the 7 young skiers who were lost -- who knows what symphonies they may have written or what mountains they may have climbed had they not perished in an avalanche. I would imagine, though, that the sons and the daughters of those on the Columbia will STILL be proud years from now when they say "My dad (or my Mom) was an astronaut." Death is a strange country I've never been to. I'll get there when I need to but such choices are not always ours to make. Who made the avalanche? Who installed the ceramic tiles? Who knows? If the tiles were the cause of the Columbia disaster then something can be learned but risk can never be taken out of living. And as for the 7 skiers it sounds to me from my reading that everyone was doing the "right" thing -- beacons, front guard, rear guard, etc. Did anyone listen to Rooney at the end of 60 Minutes last night? He made a powerful speech on behalf of the 7 lives lost on the Columbia. He said it better than I could. Backpacker Joe, don't ever get so mad at people you stop posting. I don't agree with you about a lot of things but I admire you for having the courage to be different and to be something of a maverick. I like people who HAVE opinions, even if they do differ from mine. There are so many people that don't have opinions or strong feelings about anything. I'd rather have an argument with someone (not fisticuffs, thanks) than chat with someone who nods in agreement with every single word said or written. Personally, one of the few times I cried in my life was upon discovering a dead seagull on the West Coast trail many years ago. Why did that touch me to the extent it did? I may never know. Tears come hard to me .... words come much easier. And we DO grieve differently and are touched in different ways by different events and IMO that is a GOOD thing. Keep up the good fight everyone but don't stop posting. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 3:29 pm 
Karen, all I could add to your sentiments would be one word: Beautiful. You have put into words (as did Mtn Goat) a depth of feeling and respect. Thank you both.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 4:24 pm 
Cheers to Miss. Karen. And a thank you too! TB