Forum Index > Trip Reports > Karen² - You forgot the what? Wanderings in Garibaldi
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostSat Jul 22, 2006 10:28 pm 
My heart is racing. I'm sweating profusely and trying to catch my breath. I'm feeling weak, I need to take a break. Relax Karen, breathe, deep even breaths. "What did you forget?" Jen's voice snapped me back to reality. We were sitting at the Garibaldi Lake trailhead unloading our packs from the truck for a 3 day trek. "The camera" I replied sullenly. I started throwing a 3-year-old hissy fit kicking rocks about calling myself stupid! Stupid! for forgetting the most important item of my eleven essentials. In her usual compassionate and unselfish tone Jen says, "We can go back". My first thought was I couldn't do this to her, but she had ignited the possibility in the back of my brain. For me this trip was not about the peak bagging, it was all about the photography and I would have been miserable without it. So we found ourselves driving 2 hours back to Maple Ridge and then another 2 hours back to the trailhead. My bonehead mistake cost us 4 hours of hiking time early in the day. Well I thought to myself, I'm the host, this hike had better blow Jen away or else it won't be worth all this extra driving. If I blew this opportunity dem 'merkins would never touch us again with a 10 foot softwood lumber pole. The ambitious destinations were attaining Panorama Ridge with magnificent 360 views of the park the first day, summiting Castle Towers the second and heading to the opposite side and bagging Mt Price on the third. Well sometimes when things go wrong (like forgetting your camera) you have to go with the flow, and so we ended up not summiting anything the whole trip! My mistake cost us too much time. We did not make the Ridge the first day and we were too far from Castle Towers the second day to bother attempting it. So instead we just spent the day wandering along the ridge and looking for shelter from the beating sun. At the end of the ridge we managed to find a small bush, in which we hunkered down and were entertained by a mama grouse with seven chicks bobbing around the rocks in front of us. It was a pretty lazy day, just hanging out and enjoying the scenery. The sunset from Panorama Ridge was absolutely breathtaking! I was a little disheartened about missing sunrise/sunset the day before, but this made up for it. I rambled back along the ridge and did my best to fill up my memory cards at the expense of my precious blood, as the skeeters were pretty bad. Jen enjoyed the light show from the safety of the tent and bravely ran out every so often to take some shots. So it was at this point that I made my second biggest mistake of the trip. I decided I would pop my second battery in and do my first attempt at a 'star trails' photo. Naturally it did not work and I ended up with a dead battery. Come sunrise here I am armed and ready for another great show and my other battery decides to quit. I used up a full battery on one picture and that picture was a waste! Fortunately for me there was a thin cloud layer that made for a very disappointing sunrise so I did not feel so bad about killing my spare battery. So we packed up and headed down toward the lake that morning. I bullied Jen into taking the snowfield down instead of the ick rock we came up. I completely forgot about her bum knee, and was later to learn she didn’t like snow as much as I did. Sorry Jen! We really wanted to bag Mt Price, but it meant we wouldn't be back home until midnight. Jen had a market to get home for and I had a baby I had been missing for 3 days, so we decided once again to just take it easy. We sauntered down to the lake and ate, drank and soaked in the views and took a few pictures. I was able to power up, get off a quick shot and turn off before the picture popped up on the viewfinder and sucked all the remaining power out of the battery. We made one last stop at the Barrier Overlook and then made the long slog back to the trailhead. It was hot as Hades out and we in the shade, so we had no regrets about not bagging any summits! 'Highlights' of the trip: · Forgetting my camera · 0/2 in summit attempts · Jen dumping a yummy chicken breast into the dirt · Lots of biting insects · Being 'Hotted out' · Lugging excess gear, like helmets · A great night's sleep up on the ridge (Jen didn’t sleep well claiming it was rocky - when I packed up the tent the next morning we were horrified to find a huge rock right under where she was sleeping - I don’t know how I managed to pitch the tent without noticing it - way to go Jen, just doing your part by practicing minimal impact camping by sleeping on rocks instead of Heather!) · The drive back in my hantavirus clothes (I left my clean clothes in the back of the truck in the tonneau and thought it strange they were covered in dirt as I was changing. After adorning myself in my fresh "clean" clothes I discovered I had a granola bar in the plastic bag with the clothes and it was chewed open, 1/2 gone and covered in rodent excrement. Ew! ) Seriously, a lot of good things did happen this trip. The views were amazing, I got some nice sunset photos (I think), we saw a deer, marmot, grouse with seven chicks (along with the mandatory camp robbers and chipmunks), and we got lots of fresh air and exercise. Good times and good company, what more could you ask for? The good far outweighed the bad and we didn't have to bag any peaks to have a good time! And last but not least thanks to Jen for the photos! PS photo essay forthcoming, if our computer stops suffering from heat stroke

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Jul 22, 2006 11:40 pm 
Ok, for the record, taking the snow down was a way better option than coming down the rocks. I just don't like steep snow. I don't have to like something for it to be the best option down and to just do it. From the scouting we did off of the end of Panorama Ridge, we also couldn't see a good way to get over or around Gentian Peak so we could even get into position for Castle Towers. Anyone know how this is done? The side slopes look wicked steep and the summit looks dicey. The lousy Canadian map wasn't helping us at all.... And yes. A whole little meadow all to ourselves and I manage to find the one pointy rock to try and sleep on. rolleyes.gif Dumping my chicken in the dirt really sucked, too. Let's hear it for instant mashed potatoes! I knew Karen would spend the trip mentally kicking herself everytime something pretty or cool looking popped into view. There's no sense doing a trip when the very reason for being out there is sitting on the table at home. So, yes, we went back and got the camera! For those who don't know, Garibaldi Lake is amazing. The thing is huge and the most amazing shade of blue. Sphinx Lake is pea green, and the spot where Sphinx Lake flows into Garibaldi is just beautiful. Mt. Garibaldi looms on one side, and the Black Tusk presides on the other. It's just a magical place. Getting to it with full packs is a slog, but oh, so, worth it! Our camp on Panorama Ridge was just amazing. The views are literally 360*. I had a great time out in a beautiful place with a good friend. What more could I possibly ask? Heck, she even put up with gimpy, out of shape, ol' me! Pictures will follow.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Jul 23, 2006 12:03 pm 
Hey, good for you guys for making the attempt. Garibaldi Prov Park is a lot bigger than she appears once you're up there. I have always found the initial slog up there with a full pack to be a bit of a death march. Did you take the Helm Creek TH up? How were the bugs? Was there still snow in the meadows? The only way to get to Castle Towers is by first "scrambling" up and over Gentian. Looking forward to seeing Jen's pics. smile.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
dusty boots
' Gimp '

dusty boots
' Gimp '
PostSun Jul 23, 2006 1:44 pm 
Tough way to start out. eek.gif Like HB says, there is a lot of ground to cover up there and the quickest/best way to Castle Towers is from the Cheakamus TH end and up through Helm Creek/Panaorama Ridge, over Gentian and up the Towers. dizzy.gif All is not lost though, ..... you got to spend a couple of terric days in a mystical area. I'm headed there on Wednesday morning, taking another 1st time 'murrakin, starting out from Rubble Creek TH and coming out Saturday afternoon. tongue.gif Last time I was up there, it was 38* making it a tough slog up all those switch backs with full packs on. huh.gif How were those skeeters around the campsite at the lake? Where's those photos, prod.gif Dusty

it should be right around that next bend........I think.....
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jul 23, 2006 2:09 pm 
I was at garibaldi lake last weekend, and went up the rubble creek trail. it's in great shape.there's still a bit of snow in the forest, but none on the trail to garibaldi lake. there were hardly any mosquitos at the lake because of the constant breeze there. I don't recall wanting to use my Off! repellent that day.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jul 23, 2006 5:13 pm 
We went in Rubble creek. The trail is in truly excellent shape, but MAN what a slog in full packs! We headed up through Taylor Meadows - one of the established campsites - and decided to press onward and sleep close to Mimulus lake the first night. Skeeters were bad, but nothing truly horrific. Second day we headed up to Panorama Ridge with the full packs. We were figuring the bugs wouldn't be as bad on the ridge as they would be near the lake, because the ridge would be constantly breezy. The bugs were awful! huh.gif There was a good breeze, but the hungry hordes were still circling around looking for the slightest crack in our defenses. They laughed at DEET and bit me through my socks. I even actually considered just not heating water for coffee in the morning so I wouldn't have to face them! paranoid.gif I'm a true caffeine addict, so this is a big deal! We didn't notice any bug problem at Garibaldi Lake itself. Go figure. Lots of fish jumping and small fry wiggling around in the shallows. Snow is mostly gone from the southern and western slopes. it's holding onto the northern and eastern slopes above 6,000 ft. (I don't know how many meters that is, sorry) Getting from the end of Panorama Ridge to Gentian Peak itself looks pretty straightforward, it was getting over the peak itself that looked hairy from our vantage point. But, we weren't looking at it from the approach most people take so a route may open up that isn't any trouble at all. We didn't wander over that far because by that time we knew we weren't climbing Castle Towers and it didn't look like the views were any better there than what we had on Panorama. Besides, it was bloody hot and there was a little patch of shade under a subalpine fir next to a marmot hole... And then this entertaining grouse showed up with her babies popping all over the place... We got to see puffs of dust from landslides letting loose on the Opal Cone and The Barrier. That was just cool! Other wildlife sightings were a deer on the trail near the Black Tusk trail junction, a marmot who came up and posed for us, and a couple of chipmunks who mugged Karen trying to get her nuts. All of these buggers disappeard when the camera came out - of course. Yeah, yeah. Pictures. I'm working on it, ok? I was up early to get stuff to market and still have to get the images off of the card.

mgd

mgd
PostSun Jul 23, 2006 6:54 pm 
I'm reading Meganerd's report from July 16 on WTA.
Quote:
That famous view from the ridge is why I made the trip out there in the first place. It wasn't particularly easy to get up there though since, in my rush to get out of the house, I forgot both my sunscreen
Maybe customs needs a checklist at the border crossing? clown.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 6:14 pm 
Okey dokey, I finally finished mucking around with my photos.
Karen displaying the thingy we had to go back for
Karen displaying the thingy we had to go back for
My best sunset shot.  This is Garibaldi
My best sunset shot. This is Garibaldi
Our tent in front of The Black Tusk.  I couldn't resist the color of the sky
Our tent in front of The Black Tusk. I couldn't resist the color of the sky
Upper and Lower Sphinx Lake draining into Garibaldi Lake.  I just loved the way the different lake colors mix
Upper and Lower Sphinx Lake draining into Garibaldi Lake. I just loved the way the different lake colors mix
Commando chipmunk zeroing in on Karen's snacks
Commando chipmunk zeroing in on Karen's snacks

ree

ree
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 6:29 pm 
Sounds like you girls had a good time! Sometimes it works out for the best when plans get altered. Good that you just went with the flow. So, as a "merkin", Jen... did it measure up??? clown.gif Ha! I've been to the Canadian Rockies, and I came back thinking that us merkins should invade Canada just so we could annex Alberta and BC. Okay... I'm joking! Towel off hosers.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 6:35 pm 
Garibaldi Provincial Park measures up to any of the eye-popping scenery the North Cascades can dish out. My snapshots really don't do the place justice. I did take a 360* pano on the ridge summit. I'm still stitching that.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 6:47 pm 
Finally! Very nice! smile.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 pm 
Ok here we go...lots of pictures...
Black Tusk & Helm Lake
Black Tusk & Helm Lake
Jenn nearing summit
Jenn nearing summit
summit shot
summit shot
Guard Mtn & Garibaldi
Guard Mtn & Garibaldi
Mt Garibaldi & Lake
Mt Garibaldi & Lake
Mama Grouse
Mama Grouse
mama & chicks
mama & chicks
Jen busy dumping chicken breast in dirt
Jen busy dumping chicken breast in dirt
twilight
twilight
lupine at sunset
lupine at sunset
star trails
star trails
There's more here

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
ree

ree
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 8:33 pm 
Holy CRAP!!! Karen is carrying a TRIPOD!?! stun.gif Great pictures... ! Jen's not touching my food when we go backpacking. clown.gif

l

l
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 8:41 pm 
Karen, I for two am so glad you went back for the camera. Great images! I really like Guard Mountain&Garibaldi and, of course, star trails.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 8:55 pm 
Awesome photos! stun.gif Love the star trails! I have never missed my tripod so much as I did this weekend, the stars were so clear on Rainier.