Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crawford Lake 7-16-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 1:39 pm 
H. Hound, ree, and I met in North Bend at 7 AM, where we decided we’d give Crawford a shot, even though H. Hound had been there less than a month ago. We were marching down the MF trail at about 9, and soon reached the jump-off point. Here we decided to try a different cross-country route than H. Hound usually takes. We found a boot path, which lasted all of about 50 yards. We eventually finished brush-bashing and emerged on flat ground at Crawford’s outlet at about 12:45. There’s still a fair amount of snow in the basin, but we found a nice shady spot for lunch and enjoyed the views of a beautiful lake. We had plenty of company with the skeeters and biting flies, but they weren't too bothersome.
Waterfall on x-c route
Waterfall on x-c route
Bears Breast and Dutch Miller Gap
Bears Breast and Dutch Miller Gap
Crawford Lake
Crawford Lake
After lunch, we decided to head up the ridge at the north end of the lake to get some views and so H. Hound could do some recon on the route to Iron Cap Lake. We reached the top of the ridge at about 2:30, and we were really glad we’d climbed the extra mile and 800’ because the views were awesome from that vantage point. We could see Baker, Glacier Peak, Rainier and the Olympics, as well as Overcoat, Summit Chief, Chetwoot, Angeline, and Big Heart. We hung out for a short time, then headed back down.
Crawford Lake And Overcoat from partway up ridge
Crawford Lake And Overcoat from partway up ridge
Chetwoot and 6245' peak
2 labels
Chetwoot and 6245' peak
Big Heart and Angeline
Big Heart and Angeline
We took H. Hound’s 'normal' route back down, though it is not exactly a walk in the park, either. We got back to the TH at about 6:30 and compared bug bites, sunburn and lacerations on the trip back.
Above Chetwoot Lake, looking west
1 label
Above Chetwoot Lake, looking west
Overcoat and Crawford, looking south
Overcoat and Crawford, looking south
Counted four SUVs at the TH but saw no one the entire day. Trip Stats: 10 miles R/T, 3000’ elevation gain.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 2:15 pm 
Nice pics Kleetster. Thanks.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 6:04 pm 
In your pictures... peak 6245 is Tourmaline Peak... the peak at the end of your Chetwoot pic is Wild Goat Peak (6305')...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 6:16 pm 
Gotta love ole Angeline lake. She's one of my faves. Looks like she's back up to normal lake level too. She was down 10-15+' last time I was there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ree

ree
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 6:41 pm 
Here's some more pictures from the day. On H.Hound's previous thread, I inquired if the steepness he described was like the LaBohn outlet. I saw for myself that it was, and he wasn't kidding about how slippery it was in the duff. At least at LB outlet you had some rocks for footholds... Here there's just a few shrubs here and there, to hopefully steady your foothold. The view from the ridge above Crawford was breathtaking. Foss Lakes sat like jewels under our feet, and we could see from Baker to Rainier, and even the Olympics. Really worth the effort. Gawdalmighty... the mosquitos devoured me. I declined H.Hound's offer of deet, favoring my "salad dressing" repellent that isn't poisonous. I sweated everything off. I thought I'd have 5 or 6 bites... 11 on one arm alone, 9 on the other, 5 on my neck, 4 on my face. I tried everything to stop the itch... calamine, sting stop, benadryl... nothing works. Today I heard if you made a poultice of tobacco, baking soda, and water, that draws out the poison. I gave up trying to stop itching them, and now I'm an ooozing mess of welts. Small price to pay for the bliss and beauty, though.
alpine_lakes_wilderness_pan
11 labels
alpine_lakes_wilderness_pan
mfk to chetwoot and foss lakes
20 labels
mfk to chetwoot and foss lakes
cold tarn on a hot day
cold tarn on a hot day
aqua peace
aqua peace
overcoat and crawford lake
overcoat and crawford lake
down a cliff to chetwoot
down a cliff to chetwoot
peekaboo of rainier
peekaboo of rainier
chetwoot
chetwoot
across the middle fork
across the middle fork
crawford lake
crawford lake
crawford lake
crawford lake

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 6:41 pm 
Looks like you guys had a good time. Wish I could've come along...next time, though.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 7:05 pm 
Thanks Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. One should really see Crawfish in all its glory, and that's after the snow melt. If you like to swim there are numerous ponds with fresh, clear water to swim in all around the lake. Warm water to boot!

ree

ree
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 7:07 pm 
Thanks for labeling those!!! We were all kind of dumbasses, not knowing the names of all the peaks - just vauge ideas from a bunch of tourons! We missed you, Mike! Next time, as you say...! Thanks BPJ...! I really wanted to swim, and would have, if we had more time. Also, Kleet is only speaking for himself that the bugs were no bother!!! There weren't "clouds" of them, but geez those covert operators are horrendous. I'd probably have more bites had I swam - in places embarrassing to scratch!!!

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 7:10 pm 
NIce images Ree and Kleet! What a nice area we live in!

ree

ree
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 7:32 pm 
Thanks, Tazz. Unbelievable this place is so close to Seattle! I count my blessings everyday, really I do. I don't get the shutdown of the MFK road (beyond Dingford) at all, but whatever. rolleyes.gif Hopefully H. Hound will post some of his photographic contributions! wink.gif

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 8:00 pm 
Ya, that is a good area to see a few times. I think I finally have a handle on the up and over route to Iron Cap Lake, so I will be seeing Crawford one last time before I get locked out.
pic 067 (Large)
pic 067 (Large)
pic 068 (Large)
pic 068 (Large)
pic 041 (Large)
pic 041 (Large)
Why I am ticked about the gate. Others have posted better MFK stets than this, but as you' all can see there aren't many areas where a day hiker like me can get into country that gorgeous. At least without a lot of driving, or camping. Kleet, Ree I had fun. Thanks for letting me tag along. And just for Kleet, below is no zoom, verses 12x
pic 087 (Large)
pic 087 (Large)
12x Zoom.
1 label
12x Zoom.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 8:37 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
12x Zoom.
1 label
12x Zoom.
Hey Adi and JenJen! There's my broken shoelace...right next to that log! (told ya we couldda ridden it to the bottom on our blue foam pads)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 9:30 pm 
Very nice! What's the recipe for salad dressing?

Let me stand next to your fire
ree

ree
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 9:35 pm 
Catnip smash in red wine vinegar. It's over a year old, which could have diminished its efficacy. I've got to mix it with some oil though, so it won't sweat off so easily. biggrin.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:31 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Hey Adi and JenJen! There's my broken shoelace...right next to that log! (told ya we couldda ridden it to the bottom on our blue foam pads)
lol.gif up.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic