Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Privitization of Park Service jobs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NPS

NPS
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 7:59 am 
Quote:
I doubt very seriously they will EVER privatize the National Park System. That would be political suicide
They'll start with simple maintenance jobs like cleaning restrooms and emptying trash first, and then go for the more typical ranger jobs after that - if they get a chance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Fred

Fred
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 10:25 am 
For more mockery of Bush and his plans, here is a flash animation. http://www.markfiore.com/animation/parks.html Not his best work though. Check out the war related stuff in the "animation gallery" part of the site. Ones that cut to the point include "WMD Finder 6/11/03" or "E-Z Clean 6/23/03". http://www.markfiore.com/animation/parks.html

Rangeroon

Rangeroon
PostMon Aug 11, 2003 10:20 pm 
A note about staff size...
Hi! As an employee of Mount Rainier National Park, I'd just like to point out that the Carbon River/Ipsut Creek district of the park doesn't even HAVE six ranger on the payroll. If you saw six uniformed people there, I'm certain that at least three of them were volunteers, and one of them might have been a naturalist who travels up from Longmire to help out on the busy weekends. A large team of dedicated volunteers do the vast majority of the work at Carbon River, and thank goodness for them, because without them, there would be no uniformed presence left in that corner of the park!

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Aug 12, 2003 2:00 pm 
Thanks Rangeroon for the clarification. My question: Does Mt. Rainier need rangers to patrol?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Aug 12, 2003 4:45 pm 
Our provincial government has been busilly privatizing the care and upkeep of our provincial parks here in BC. Some parks have been maintained well but most have suffered. Very little has been done to maintain trails in the backcountry. I guess, if your only criteria for a contract is the low bid, then you get what you pay for.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Aug 12, 2003 7:08 pm 
Of course we need rangers...
Stefan wrote:
Thanks Rangeroon for the clarification. My question: Does Mt. Rainier need rangers to patrol?
Yes! You need people to help visitors identify flowers, tell them where trails go since it's the first time they are in the park, identify critters and rock formations, tell people not to litter and stay on trails. You need goodwill ambassadors that really love the park they work in. You need someone that is identifiable to kids as someone who can assist them when they are lost or seperated from their parents. You need someone with a wealth of statistics in their head about the place they work in that can make your park visit so much more interesting. Otherewise it becomes like the self checkout line at Safeway "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT SAFEWAY AND HAVE A GOOD DAY." down.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 13, 2003 8:23 am 
polarbear wrote:
Yes! You need people to help visitors identify flowers, tell them where trails go since it's the first time they are in the park, identify critters and rock formations, tell people not to litter and stay on trails. You need goodwill ambassadors that really love the park they work in. You need someone that is identifiable to kids as someone who can assist them when they are lost or seperated from their parents. You need someone with a wealth of statistics in their head about the place they work in that can make your park visit so much more interesting. Otherewise it becomes like the self checkout line at Safeway "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT SAFEWAY AND HAVE A GOOD DAY." down.gif
Good answer Polarbear. But then do we need Rangers beyond the parking areas to make sure permits are adhered to? Do we need 10 climbing rangers? Why not just one ranger at the three popular climbing camps? Do we need rangers to mark every off trail there is in the park even created by goats? Do we need rangers to try and find people camping in the cross country route zones?

Art is an adventure.
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostWed Aug 13, 2003 7:43 pm 
That sounds like too many rangers to me also. Cross country zones should be patrolled but not daily. You shouldn't have time to check every permit, just to make sure there aren't continual gross violations. If I were hiking the Wonderland Trail, I'd want to bump into a ranger on day 4. So for those who hike this trail, how often do you have to show your permits?