Forum Index > Gear Talk > Pack Modifications
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 3:44 pm 
I have a Marmot Talus pack that I would like to have the hand loop removed. It is part of the shoulder harness. I would need to have the harness removed, the piece cut out, and resewn etc. Any recomendations for such service in the Greater Seattle Area? TIA NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Feb 02, 2003 10:50 pm 
Why remove the haul loop? Does it bother your neck? One way you can remove it is to carefully cut it right as short as possible. I've done this on lots of straps and it works fine. Use a very sharp scissors.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 5:36 am 
Yes it hurts my neck. It and both shoulder harness's are a one piece affair. Not a typical loop made from webbing type material. If I cut it off, then the outer fabrics will have to be resewn. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 6:50 am 
Newbie Newt wrote:
Yes it hurts my neck. It and both shoulder harness's are a one piece affair. Not a typical loop made from webbing type material. If I cut it off, then the outer fabrics will have to be resewn. NN smile.gif
NN: Try Rainy Pass Repair, over on Roosevelt Way, just a block or so north of 50th St. I've had them do alterations on some of my packs before and they did very good work and were fairly reasonable. I don't have their url or phone number, but they are on the Net. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 7:44 am 
Thanks, I'll check em out. NN smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 10:54 am 
AH HA! The REAL reason to remove NON-essensial loops is to make your pack L I G H T E R! You could try Rainy Pass Repair. Yes that would be the local site. LIGHTER is RIGHTER! http://www.rainypass.com/ There you go your Newt-ship! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 11:43 pm 
Nononono, as much as it PAINS me to say so, REI's repair department is just as good as Rainy Pass, and cheaper and friendlier to boot. I say this both as a sort of writer babe and also as a consumer. I have an Arc'Teryx Khamsin 50, a great pack but a little heavy, and it's got a long big old zipper running the length of the body. Going to see if REI can modify, will report later.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
salish

salish
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 11:15 am 
Thanks for the tip, Allison. I've been going to Rainy Pass for years because it's so convenient - I commute to work by bicycle and pass it every day. Still, I'll try REI for my next repair. C

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.