Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fun In a Tower On Lookout Mt.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 3:38 pm 
Trevinski wrote:
scm007 wrote:
I'm a total photography noob (but I'd like to learn!), what do you mean by underexposing? How can I do that with a digital?
Simply by reducing the exposure time( shutter speed) below what the meter indicates is proper for the scene.
So on a bright sunny day, you're at like 250 and 1/16?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 3:50 pm 
The accurate shutter speed indicated by the meter is dependent upon the iso speed your camera is currently set at, the aperture and what other filters you may be using ( specifically complete nd filters and polarizers). You can choose to shorten or elongate this exposure time depending upon your preference. In the case of many of the images posted in this tr, I opted for reducing from what the meter suggested ( underexposing). Many of those were taken at f16 and around 1/40". The last image was about 4". Some had split-density filters applied.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 4:47 pm 
nice photos Trev....( of course I'm enamored of the subject material.... winksmile.gif )

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 4:56 pm 
Lookout Bob wrote:
nice photos Trev....( of course I'm enamored of the subject material.... winksmile.gif )
Ha! You actually crossed my mind in the midst of composing the lookout shots. I was thinking you would appreciate the subject. Have you been to this one? If so, how do you think it stacks up to others? We were pretty impressed by its contents.I was surprised to see that the lookout had a stove powered by a solar panel, not sure how many other lookouts offer that. We were thinking that the lookout would offer ideal grounds for a marriage proposal. If it could be arranged, the boyfriend could make an initial trip up there and assemble/store the necessities for a fancy dinner, then make a return trip with the female.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jul 21, 2006 12:36 am 
Trevinski wrote:
The accurate shutter speed indicated by the meter is dependent upon the iso speed your camera is currently set at, the aperture and what other filters you may be using ( specifically complete nd filters and polarizers). You can choose to shorten or elongate this exposure time depending upon your preference. In the case of many of the images posted in this tr, I opted for reducing from what the meter suggested ( underexposing). Many of those were taken at f16 and around 1/40". The last image was about 4". Some had split-density filters applied.
Hmm, I'm not sure about the ISO and aperture, I don't know the ins and outs of cameras, just basically how to use them. The camera I use most often on hikes is an old Olympus OM-1. I don't use any filters; one of my good friends from college was an art student and an excellent photographer, and he said to never use any filters (of course, he also said never use a light meter, but I don't really listen to that). He said what you lose in optics isn't worth whatever you're trying to do. So ayway, I don't use any filters. I went on a hike today, with the OM-1 newly cleaned out, adjusted and overhauled, and also tried underexposing vs. the light meter as you recommend. I can't wait to see how they came out. I was on top of Red Mountain at around 8, nice dramatic, early-evening lighting.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jul 21, 2006 9:29 am 
Trevinski.....I have not been to that Lookout Mountain....I have been to the one by Twisp, and others in the state.....lately I've been concentrating more on a couple of lookouts ( Kelly Butte, Heybrook, and Red Top) and have not been raising my lookout grand total...it definitely is one I'd like to visit or stay in overnight. ( Especially now that I've had the pleasure of viewing your fine photos.... up.gif ) Imagine that I'll drag my weary old bod up there one of these years before I can't walk any more. I think your idea of a gourmet dinner is good....perhaps though, you might consider a drive up lookout where you could take the appropriate dinnerware/silver/wine glasses/brandy snifters, etc. agree.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
jasonracey

jasonracey
PostFri Jul 21, 2006 12:44 pm 
Trevinski wrote:
Some had split-density filters applied.
At least for me, the most striking thing about the photographs is the images with both foreground and sky properly exposed. It's impossible to do under most lighting conditions without an ND gradient filter. Which one do you use? Do you like it?

Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Jul 21, 2006 12:48 pm 
I predominantly use singh-ray and lee filters, for they appear to be the most neutral in cast. The cheaper varieties, cokin, for instance, have a tendency to deliver a purple cast. Hi-tech is a little less neutral and a little less scratch resistant, but is an affordable compromise for the casual photographer.