Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > copper mine proposal near Goat Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 5:03 pm 
BLM approves lease for Goat Mtn mine: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003617932_webmine14m.html http://www.blm.gov/or/news/announcements.php Of course, this does not mean a mine will happen, just that one part of the process is going through. Note that this is Goat Mtn 5407, not to be confused with Goat Mtn 4965 or Goat Mtn 6600 or the other gazillion Goat Mtns.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
andrew e

andrew e
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 5:06 pm 
More on this here: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?4+blog+thread+ed+295 If you oppose this project, which would eliminate the Goat Mountain Trail, send your written comments by April 6 to: U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Land Management Oregon State Office P.O. Box 2965 Portland, OR 97208

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 7:05 pm 
Sent:
Quote:
Subject: Oppose lease of Margaret Deposit, EA No. EA-OR-936-06-00, Case No. WAOR-61215 To Whom It May Concern: I strongly oppose the subject lease. The notion espoused in the environmental assessment, that a mining company would enter a lease with no foreseeable development scenario, strikes me as hopelessly naive. The only reasonable interpretation is that a mining company would lease that land in order to mine it, that there would be intensive surface disturbing activities, and that substantial heavy truck traffic on FS Road 2612 would result. This inevitable activity would impact water quality in the Green River, which flows into the Mt. St. Helens National Monument. It would dramatically impact the quality of recreation on the Goat Mountain Trail #217 and the Green River Trail #213. It would result in substantial and unpleasant noise and odor from truck traffic through an intersection at the Ryan Lake Picnic Area where children would be at play. I hope the BLM will revise its Environmental Assessment based on the more realistic scenario, that if a mining company spends money leasing land, it will find a way to mine it, because its fiduciary responsibility would preclude it entering into a mineral lease without a reasonable expectation that it would be allowed to profitably mine. Regards, Rich Baldwin

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 7:53 pm 
From what I understood, reading about it in the Morton Journalthe plan is for the mine to go underground. In other words, not a strip mine. The ore would be trucked to Randle. I'm just tired of it all, people who live in rural areas having to move away so others can go play and not hear, or see, where their lumber or minerals come from.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 8:00 pm 
Public lands are owned by all the public, not just the people living in rural areas. Any member of the public has the right to voice opinion on how to use public lands.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 pm 
I didn't go looking for earlier documents, ski. It sounds like the BLM has authority to lease the mineral deposits, but the FS has to agree since the lands are FS lands.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 14, 2007 9:18 pm 
a little background ( pdf file ) " The subject lands are located in the northern portion of the Mt. St. Helens Mining District along the Green River and on the south slope of Goat Mountain one-half mile to the west of Ryan Lake and eleven and [one] half miles to the northeast of Mt. St. Helens. Three of the patents were issued prior to 1911 and two patents were issued in 1982 to the Duval Corporation based on their discovery and exploration of the Margaret Deposit during the 1970's. The Margaret Deposit is a major porphyry copper deposit suitable for mining as an open pit. Duval estimated the deposit to contain 577 million tons of 0.36% copper (Cu), 0.011% molybdenum (Mo), 0.007oz/ton gold (Au), and 0.046 oz/ton silver (Ag) at a 0.33% Cu equivalent cutoff.(BLM Report at 1). During the 1970's, Duval Corporation was a major copper producer operating some of the lowest grade copper/molybdenum open pit mines in the United States. Both the U.S. Forest Service and BLM concluded that Duval had discovered a valuable mineral deposit and issued a mineral patent for a portion ofthe Margaret Deposit (Affidavit of Denny R. Seymour at 16). Duval's parent company, Pennzoil, elected to divest itself of hard mineral mining operations in 1984, and transferred Duval's patented and unpatented claims in the Mt. St. Helens Mining District to the Trust for Public Land (Trust). The Trust abandoned the unpatented claims in 1985 and conveyed the patented claims to the Forest Service (BLM Report at 5).126 IBLA 74 "

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 7:10 am 
oh... and did i mention the project area is 11.5 miles north of mt. st. helens? ( bump )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 10:23 am 
everything is near something. by the time you draw exclusion zones around everything someone has an interest in protecting, there wouldn't be much left. Minerals are where they are, and it's rarely, if ever, where we want them to be. Mining is possible only where the deposits are .

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
peltoms

peltoms
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 am 
WTA perspective
I was surprised at the lack of rational perspective in the WTA web page above. Though, I am a geologist I do not see many mining projects I like. I am not saying this is one of them. However, I saw no data on how many recreations users visit Goat Mountain, what critical wildlife habitat would be lost. How impacted the specific location already is by previous logging etc.. To convince those who prefer to conserve our environment but also do not want to by NIMBY about everything, this is a key step, convince us with facts, not just sentiments we tend to agree with.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 10:57 am 
A reasonable approach IMO Peltoms. It's nice to see more depth than the outright desire to just block this as presented on the WTA page...I would not be surprised if they had opposed every single new mine ever proposed in WA.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 10:58 am 
Interesting details on the geology Ski, thanks for posting those numbers. Looks like a pretty decent deposit in terms of recoverable assets.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 11:17 am 
re: my post above: that was excerpted from the ruling against an appeal by Vanderbilt in 1993. I haven't waded through the EA on this yet, or the FONSI ( posted on the BLM website ), so I'm still a little fuzzy on details. What concerns me about this project is: the land was turned over to "the Trust for Public Lands" supposedly for the purpose of protecting it from future mining activities, and then subsequently turned back over to NFS. there's just something about that I'm not comfortable with. ( I've yet to find the story on that one.... still searching. )

andrew e

andrew e
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 11:46 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
A reasonable approach IMO Peltoms. It's nice to see more depth than the outright desire to just block this as presented on the WTA page...I would not be surprised if they had opposed every single new mine ever proposed in WA.
Whether you're surprised or not that WTA does not take positions on issues that are not related to hiking and wilderness makes little difference to me. But that's the facts. WTA opposes the Goat Mountain Mine because of its location. It's adjacent to the MSNVM and it it would (in IGM's descriptions of the project) close the Goat Mt Trail and impede access to the Green Mountain Horse camp. This is one issue where equestrians and hikers can certainly agree. There are huge mineral deposits in the Glacier Peak and Henry M. Jackson wilderness areas, but we don't let Kennecott come back in there to Miners Ridge and get to those deposits. There are places where we DO draw the line and say we're not going to take resources out. Goat Mountain should be one of those places. My point about the 1.8 million visitors to the GP is that we often discount the impact of hiking, camping, outdoor recreation and tourism provided by wildlands into the equation when we consider trying "boost" economies with resource extraction instead. Has IGM or BLM given a figure about job creation? I haven't seen any. How much money will road maintenance and repair cost? How much will site restoration cost? How much will it cost to remediate sites, or damage to the Green River if tailings chemicals leach in there. This one's a non-starter in my book.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 15, 2007 11:50 am 
I've yet to see a mine our browns don't like rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn