Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gorge Creek flashflood
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 12:18 am 
I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about this, of course it may have happened a while ago (still, I never heard anything). I was gonna go hiking up on the old South Suiattle Road today, but was discouraged by pretty heavy rain (yea, I'm a wuss), so I went up 20 to take some pictures, and as I crossed over Gorge Creek, I was astonished to see that the gorge had been scoured out HARDCORE. Upon stopping, I noticed that the gigundo boulders that used to be situated between the two tiers of Gorge Creek Falls were gone, the bigger boulder on the gorge floor that made another smaller waterfall was gone, the streambed had cut down another 40+ feet in one place, and downstream from the bridge was a HUGE gravel bar. High water marks and all sorts of debris was sitting on the ledges of the gorge about 60+ (?) feet above the creek, so there must have been a MASSIVE amount of water roaring down through here to move all that stuff (further illustrated by the total absence of the 5-6 big boulders that used to be there). I'm guessing it was from the heavy rains a week ago when the Skagit bust it's banks. Pictures are still in the camera, I'll post them as soon as I can (this is exactly why I need a digital camera.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message